collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Magnification, NOT long range  (Read 8239 times)

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
Re: Magnification, NOT long range
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2020, 07:46:24 PM »
12 power is already way more than necessary for 300-400 yards  :twocents:

What are you upgrading from and what's your budget?

Way more ?????  If you want to see details, more is better, if you shoot horns, mag doesnt matter......everyones eyes and vision requirements are different , so its totally personal.  Try before you buy if you can.

Yes everybody has different eyes but nobody should be identifying their target with a rifle scope.

No one suggested that........

:tup: good stuff.  Still kinda reads that way to me but glad I'm wrong.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2020, 06:24:52 AM »
Midway had a deal on the vx-3i 3.5-10 but they also had a deal on the 4.5-14 CDS model lol so I think I'm going to grab the 4.5-14 and just end up with more scope than I need lol thanks all for.the advice and input, it's all much appreciated.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2020, 07:19:27 AM »
Midway had a deal on the vx-3i 3.5-10 but they also had a deal on the 4.5-14 CDS model lol so I think I'm going to grab the 4.5-14 and just end up with more scope than I need lol thanks all for.the advice and input, it's all much appreciated.
great choice! I think you'll be happy with that optic.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Windwalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2020, 09:59:37 PM »
Not hard at all Jp, but its definitely an important step and should be done correctly. Rings have come along ways and most quality rings will specifically tell you to NOT lap. I mount a few dozen scopes a year and have gone both ways and I just don't bother with it anymore. Level the gun, adjust scope to proper eye relief, level the optic, torque to manufacturers specs in the proper scew sequence per manufacturer and you are good to go.

:yeah:
Here is a pretty good article - Precision Scope Mounting for the Working Rifle.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/precision-scope-mounting-for-the-working-rifle.1227/
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine
The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor, Success and safety of our bleeding Country depends

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2020, 11:04:43 PM »
You'll be happy with it. I upgraded from. Vx2 3-9x40 to the vx3i 4.5-14x40 two years ago. The extra magnification has been a huge benefit for me in shooting in the 300-400 yard range. I killed my elk at 360 this year and felt good with my setup. Whole waiting for my shot I realized I was only on 8 power. Dialed it to 14 and felt like I could pick the hair I was aiming at.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline cutter

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2020, 04:51:55 AM »
As the great Bill Jorden wrote years ago "a variable scope is only as useful as its lowest setting" take into account the closest, fastest opportunity to make meat in the nastiest weather that you're likely to encounter and make your choice.

Offline HillHound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2020, 05:02:00 AM »
Does anybody have any experience with the Leupold VX freedom 4 to 12? Does it hold zero and have the glass quality that leupold is known for?  I know it is definitely in the budget class compared to their other leupold scopes but I am looking for something that will be effective but won’t break the bank if my son ends up falling on it. He’s moving up from his 243 to a 6.5 creedmore this year.  He won’t be taking any shots further than 300 yards. If he needs to shoot further than that he can just suck it up and slide in behind my 7mm mag.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2020, 05:53:01 AM »
Does anybody have any experience with the Leupold VX freedom 4 to 12? Does it hold zero and have the glass quality that leupold is known for?  I know it is definitely in the budget class compared to their other leupold scopes but I am looking for something that will be effective but won’t break the bank if my son ends up falling on it. He’s moving up from his 243 to a 6.5 creedmore this year.  He won’t be taking any shots further than 300 yards. If he needs to shoot further than that he can just suck it up and slide in behind my 7mm mag.

I just got a vx freedom 3-9x33 a few days ago, the real lightweight one, mounted it on my .22wmr.  About to go play with it today.  I have a couple of the now discontinued vx2 lightweight scopes on a .243 and a .308.  This vx freedom seemed to be the closest thing currently available to those older models, which im very fond of.  I like them better than much more expensive scopes i have or had.  Damn good scopes for the money, if a guy just wants something simple, light weight, low magnification.  The vx2s on my 2 lightweight guns have been great.  Figure the freedom on my .22wmr will be good for its purpose.  Close range bobcat / yote gun in the winter, whistle pig destroyer in the summer.

Offline Buckjunkie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2020, 06:39:07 AM »
The VX5HD 3-15 is a great scope with really good optics, I don't think you could go wrong with one of those.
:yeah:

I love mine. I see you are from Wilkeson. If you hunt around home the 3x will be nice in the timber and the 15 power is plenty to shoot way beyond your needs. Light scope, crystal clear optics and a zero lock on the dial. I went with the 3-15x44 with the Wind Plex reticle. The best prices I’ve found lately have been through Muley Crazy in Kanab Utah.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2020, 04:42:55 PM »
As the great Bill Jorden wrote years ago "a variable scope is only as useful as its lowest setting" take into account the closest, fastest opportunity to make meat in the nastiest weather that you're likely to encounter and make your choice.

A 2 to 7 power scope or 3 to 9 with a small objective doesn't have any strategic advantage over a 4-12 with a larger objective  :twocents:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2020, 05:00:57 PM »

I just got a vx freedom 3-9x33 a few days ago, the real lightweight one, mounted it on my .22wmr.  About to go play with it today.  I have a couple of the now discontinued vx2 lightweight scopes on a .243 and a .308.  This vx freedom seemed to be the closest thing currently available to those older models, which im very fond of.  I like them better than much more expensive scopes i have or had.  Damn good scopes for the money, if a guy just wants something simple, light weight, low magnification.  The vx2s on my 2 lightweight guns have been great.  Figure the freedom on my .22wmr will be good for its purpose.  Close range bobcat / yote gun in the winter, whistle pig destroyer in the summer.
what light is that?
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2020, 05:37:26 PM »
Its a green coyote light.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2020, 05:38:30 PM »

A 2 to 7 power scope or 3 to 9 with a small objective doesn't have any strategic advantage over a 4-12 with a larger objective  :twocents:

I disageee.  Going down to 2x can be better than 4x.  Depends on the situation you put yourself in. 

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2020, 07:09:07 PM »
Had a similar need and just ordered this yesterday.  I like the 2.5 low end and the ability to crank to 10x and use mil dots on the rare occasions when necessary.  Also just over $200 bucks with code
 https://www.natchezss.com/nikon-monarch-3-rifle-scope-2-5-10x42mm-sfp-mil-dot-40-3-10-1-4-matte.html

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2020, 08:15:44 PM »
Got the scope in the mail today and put it on the rifle. I've got a buddy who has mounted a few who is going to double check my work, he's an engineer so he is an expert on everything  :chuckle:

Excited to shoot it, thanks for all the input gents!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]