collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Montana paper licenses  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Mulie87

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
New Montana paper licenses
« on: January 16, 2020, 09:07:15 AM »
This is interesting. You can now print your license and tags on your printer from home. I agree this is convenient, but creates potential abuse and destroyed licenses.

-They say put your paper carcass tag in a zip lock baggie. We all know water will find a way in that bag and now you have an unreadable tag. Will you get fined and your animal seized?

-Bad seeds will print multiple tags and poach killing multiple animals.

-I like that you can use your mobile device to show proof of license.....until your phone dies or you lose your phone.

I think they mean well, but these are obvious issues/faults with their plan.

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/hunting/nr_3021.html

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: New Montana paper licenses
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 09:10:29 AM »
The other big change is no mail in paper applications this year.  It is all online applications which they say will  improve results posting by 4 weeks.  Instead of results in 6 weeks they hope to have results 2 weeks after deadline.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 09:12:53 AM »
Yeah printing tags seems like a bad idea, printing license and mailing tags seems more fool proof

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 09:13:41 AM »
You could always print on rite in the rain paper if you were ambitious i guess

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 09:13:54 AM »
The license/tag will most likely have the ability to only be printed a single time.  Try hitting that print button twice and the second time will not work.  If you lose your license or tag, no reprinting, you'll have to call or stop by an office.
Same way Oregon does it.
No way they are dumb enough to have the ability to print multiple licenses/tags.

Doing the system this way and knocking off 4 weeks of waiting is great.
Kudos Montana.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 09:29:35 AM »
It sure beats printing them in disappearing ink like they did last year.  Print it, take a picture with your phone and make a copy to keep in the truck.

The sooner we go to mobile licenses the better in my opinion.  I have licenses floating all around my boat, blind bag, hunting gear, cupboard and who knows how many other places.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 09:58:26 AM »
The license/tag will most likely have the ability to only be printed a single time.  Try hitting that print button twice and the second time will not work.  If you lose your license or tag, no reprinting, you'll have to call or stop by an office.
Same way Oregon does it.
No way they are dumb enough to have the ability to print multiple licenses/tags.

Kudos Montana.

:yeah:  Oregon does this and you can only print once
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline dvolmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 10:13:38 AM »
Same way Oregon does it.

Kudos Montana.

I still see this as a huge fraud/poaching problem.  Even if you can only print the tag once, a guy could still make as many copies as he wants too.  No way to know if the tag is the original or not.  Especially with all of the different kind of personal printers both high and low quality.  I can print an original on my printer and then make a copy on the same printer and none of you would be able to tell which one was the original.  In the past, if you went to a store and bought a duplicate due to loss, they could see that and give it extra scrutiny.  Now there will be guys shooting multiple (many!!) animals on the same tag.  As long as they are not checked after the harvest and the animal is processed and in the freezer, there is nothing stopping them from hitting the hills again and again.

Another huge issue as some mentioned above is the ability to keep a common piece of computer paper in decent condition in the field.  There will be huge problems with this also.  You just about wonder how much thought was put into all of this.  Sounds like a knee jerk reaction to the faded license problem they had last year.  I do like that all of the licensing will be done on line and results will be available much earlier.
Zonk Volmer

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 10:23:41 AM »
Call em up and tell them to do it better then.

There are so many what ifs and every system can be abused.

They are trying to save money, better than increasing tag cost again at the moment.

Just enjoy your results 4 weeks earlier, play by the rules and go have fun. It's pretty simple and enjoyable
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 10:33:24 AM »
I like the move, save money on printing, get the draw done quicker, people can print their licenses immediately, and maybe MFWP can afford another warden in the field. Time for more agencies to catch up with modern times!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline nwmein199

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 10:43:30 AM »
Same way Oregon does it.

Kudos Montana.

I still see this as a huge fraud/poaching problem.  Even if you can only print the tag once, a guy could still make as many copies as he wants too.  No way to know if the tag is the original or not.  Especially with all of the different kind of personal printers both high and low quality.  I can print an original on my printer and then make a copy on the same printer and none of you would be able to tell which one was the original.  In the past, if you went to a store and bought a duplicate due to loss, they could see that and give it extra scrutiny.  Now there will be guys shooting multiple (many!!) animals on the same tag.  As long as they are not checked after the harvest and the animal is processed and in the freezer, there is nothing stopping them from hitting the hills again and again.

Another huge issue as some mentioned above is the ability to keep a common piece of computer paper in decent condition in the field.  There will be huge problems with this also.  You just about wonder how much thought was put into all of this.  Sounds like a knee jerk reaction to the faded license problem they had last year.  I do like that all of the licensing will be done on line and results will be available much earlier.

It is not a knee jerk reaction...they specifically stated why the state is doing this:
"For years, FWP licenses and tags have been produced on weather-resistant paper. However, this paper is not only expensive, but requires printing technology so outdated that it’s almost impossible to replace" as well as other benefits listed above.

IMO, this will have no impact on poaching. The same law abiding hunters will follow the law, and the same poachers will keep doing what they do.

Earlier results, dont have to wait on tags being mailed, and no tag fee increase? Sounds good to me  :IBCOOL:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 10:53:09 AM »
I would expect the mobile license to expand to tags where you can punch them electronically through a dedicated app.  It would be pretty cool as it could be configured to require gps access by the app to use it and that would be about as secure as tagging an animal could get.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »
 :yeah: Harvest report done.  It wouldn't be able to track the number of days hunted and all of the other information but it would at least get accurate records of animals taken.  The problem of course is tagging in remote areas with no cell service.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 11:37:15 AM »
Easy, you tag it in the app and then when you get back to service it automatically uploads.  As long as they use an app, it would keep track of everything and you could show it if needed.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 02:20:46 PM »
I like the move, save money on printing, get the draw done quicker, people can print their licenses immediately, and maybe MFWP can afford another warden in the field. Time for more agencies to catch up with modern times!
Agreed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]