collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trapping ride along  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Jwede

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: Ncta
Trapping ride along
« on: January 16, 2020, 07:15:59 PM »
Hello everyone. Was just stationed at jblm a little over a year ago coming from Bragg. I trapped extensively in North Carolina and where I grew up in Missouri. Pretty big into all of it but was making some money yote and beaver trapping. Anyways, I didn’t bring my traps here bc of the “interesting” rules we got here. I have been truly missing it though. Anyone in the southwest area that traps here and is willing I would love to ride along and see how y’all do it here. Or anyone that goes to Oregon to trap, I would love to pick your brain. I am thinking of getting my traps and heading there for a couple weeks. Anyways good to meet everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Trapping ride along
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 07:56:14 PM »
Whereabouts in MO did you live and trap?
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Jwede

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 08:02:01 PM »
Grew up near Sedalia trapped 4-5 counties in middle of the state and a couple counties in the northeast

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 09:26:51 PM »
We probably trapped some of the same country.  I trapped all around Windsor, MO back in the mid 70s.  Then again all around Whiteman AFB in the mid 80s.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 11:05:28 PM »
I trapped in Oregon for a number of years. Haven't went for almost 10 years I think.
You have to pass their Trapper ED course to get a license. When I did it I called and they sent me their manual and when I had read it I made an appointment to take the test. Not hard.
A few different things in OR. The biggest pain I thought was stamping your traps. You can't use trap tags. You are given a Trapper ID number and it has to be permanently stamped on every trap. I bought some stamping dies and did it but it takes time. Your number includes a letter and numbers so you have to buy the number set and the alphabet set.
Other thing is for otter and bobcats you have to buy record cards and have them in possession to trap those species. each card is good for 15 animals except if you are trapping cats in E OR. They have a 5 cat limit on the east side. Can't mix them either so you have to decide which side.
I trapped the coast. Not a lot of other trappers around. I ran into two and I gave them the lead. Still left plenty of ground no one was trapping.
At the time I did a lot of water stuff but with prices now I would probably go eastside after coyotes and cats. I have zero knowledge about the side though.
I caught a fair number of beaver but the cougar population was climbing and I think they are fairly thin on the coast now.
Great times I had but hard work. One year I caught 198 beaver, 44 cats, 28 otter, around 50 coon and of course a bunch of civets in 6 weeks.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline MLHSN

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 05:18:32 AM »
I didn’t even know you could trap when I was stationed at Bragg. Wish I would have spent less time at the bars, and more time in the outdoors when I was there. They had a ton of program opportunities for soldiers in the outdoors if I had looked around.

Offline Jwede

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 05:45:54 AM »
We probably trapped some of the same country.  I trapped all around Windsor, MO back in the mid 70s.  Then again all around Whiteman AFB in the mid 80s.
Oh yea I have trapped all over Windsor. caught my first badger near Windsor.

Offline Jwede

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 05:48:06 AM »
I didn’t even know you could trap when I was stationed at Bragg. Wish I would have spent less time at the bars, and more time in the outdoors when I was there. They had a ton of program opportunities for soldiers in the outdoors if I had looked around.
I actually got trap yotes on brag for a big NC state study on their traveling tendencies. We got paid well to collar 100 coyotes on the ranges. Pretty interesting results

Offline Jwede

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 05:50:11 AM »
I trapped in Oregon for a number of years. Haven't went for almost 10 years I think.
You have to pass their Trapper ED course to get a license. When I did it I called and they sent me their manual and when I had read it I made an appointment to take the test. Not hard.
A few different things in OR. The biggest pain I thought was stamping your traps. You can't use trap tags. You are given a Trapper ID number and it has to be permanently stamped on every trap. I bought some stamping dies and did it but it takes time. Your number includes a letter and numbers so you have to buy the number set and the alphabet set.
Other thing is for otter and bobcats you have to buy record cards and have them in possession to trap those species. each card is good for 15 animals except if you are trapping cats in E OR. They have a 5 cat limit on the east side. Can't mix them either so you have to decide which side.
I trapped the coast. Not a lot of other trappers around. I ran into two and I gave them the lead. Still left plenty of ground no one was trapping.
At the time I did a lot of water stuff but with prices now I would probably go eastside after coyotes and cats. I have zero knowledge about the side though.
I caught a fair number of beaver but the cougar population was climbing and I think they are fairly thin on the coast now.
Great times I had but hard work. One year I caught 198 beaver, 44 cats, 28 otter, around 50 coon and of course a bunch of civets in 6 weeks.
Thanks for the info. I have access to a decent amount of land on the west side so I was planning on going west side. That’s a weird trap ID law.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10