collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Maui Self Guided  (Read 5554 times)

Offline preacherman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Maui Self Guided
« on: January 20, 2020, 07:15:09 PM »
    So, I sorta won a trip to Maui, this March. I have never hunted out of state but I’m not terribly interested in sitting on a beach...or really anything ocean related.
    I was listening to Remi Warren’s podcast, and he said that Hawaii was his favorite out of season hunt. That got me thinking; guides are really expensive, but I have never needed a guide before. I’m a pretty savvy hunter in Wa, really never struggled filling tags for me and my sons. Anyone here done any hunting in Hawaii?
    Especially interested if you have done self guided.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Maui Self Guided
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 08:26:12 PM »
I was going do it yourself last year for axis deer on Maui. I had a freind that could get me on a ranch and getting a deer I don’t think was super difficult but I think the hard part is getting access. My family wanted to go kaui so I didn’t go but I think the challenge is access  :dunno:

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 09:10:34 PM »
My wife surprised me with a guided hog hunt on Maui years ago. I had a great time, though it was expensive. We ran hogs with dogs and killed them with a knife, a great experience.

As said above, access to good country is key. We (my wife and I) covered a fair amount of public ground and saw no hog or Axis deer.  The guide had access to ranches and we saw plenty of hogs, deer, and sheep there. Another note is the rabid anti-hunting mentality of many on the island and bringing in a firearm I have been told is difficult.

Good luck, I would be interested to hear how it goes.

Offline Pnwrider

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 09:56:23 PM »
You scored a free trip to the best island! Before kids, Hawaii was our go to vacation spot and Maui is by far our favorite island. I still have family and coworkers that have places on Maui. I usually go to unwind, so can’t help with hunting side. I can definitely give you the run down on other activities/things to do if you’re interested.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 05:27:30 AM »
Your pretty savy you will make do
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline R2Rcoulee

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 08:15:53 PM »
You scored a free trip to the best island! Before kids, Hawaii was our go to vacation spot and Maui is by far our favorite island. I still have family and coworkers that have places on Maui. I usually go to unwind, so can’t help with hunting side. I can definitely give you the run down on other activities/things to do if you’re interested.

I’m headed to Maui next month & would be interested in a run down of activities/things to do. Thanks

Offline Shaqdiesel

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 08:41:06 PM »
I bow hunted kona last October for goats entirely diy, i recommend getting the onx subscription for a month for Hawaii so you know where to go, I also recommend renting a 4x4 Nissan truck, just a good as a Jeep and you don’t make yourself a target for thieves, jeeps scream tourist. We hunted a public area with no scouting and my buddy killed a goat and I had two shot opportunities, one which I hit a goat and was not able to retrieve it. I don’t know where to go in Maui, but if it’s like kona the goats are not hard to find. I had a really fun time, it was super cheap and we didn’t bird hunt but there were all sorts of turkey and other upland birds on kona.
60% of the time, it works every time.

Offline stillJBR

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 08:08:25 PM »
Preacherman -

I did a solo self-guided hunt on Maui last Feb (2019) and had a blast, other than the fact that it actually SNOWED on me.  It was apparently like the only recorded time that it snowed at the particular elevation and location I was at.  Got into several groups of feral goats.  I had my longbow at the time and visibility with fog and sleet was difficult, but still doable.  Missed a shot at about 18 yrds on a goat, but rushed my shot.  If I had my compound I would have had more opportunities. 

From what I've learned, the best opportunity for self-guided archery on Maui is for goats and pigs.  Seems that a lot of the axis deer are found on private areas, which equals $$. Not to say you can't find any on public, self-guided. Lanai is where most people hunt for axis deer and the mouflon sheep (and turkey), and much of that is guided.

Going back to Maui next month for my second self-guided archery hunt with my cousin.  This time with my compound.

PM me for details.  Maybe we can connect for a hunt!
The member formally known as JBR

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 05:33:21 AM »
Tagging.  Want to go back and take the recurve.   Finding access seemed difficult last year.  Just curious if there are public land spots with goats

Offline birdshooter1189

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 06:17:34 AM »

I’m headed to Maui next month & would be interested in a run down of activities/things to do. Thanks

I've been to Maui a couple times, haven't tried hunting there.  I had a blast snorkeling. I rented an underwater camera from a snorkel shop for $50 for a week.  Well worth it in my opinion as I still enjoy looking back over all the underwater photos and videos i took. 
No fishing license is required for fishing in the salt water. Last time i was there I spent a lot of time fishing.  You can target small reef fish, or big predator fish depending where you try. 

Offline TLEVIN40

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 10:49:38 AM »
Tagging, head there in May and although the self guided seems to be more gratifying, I will more than likely use a guide. Maui Hunting Safari and Arrow one Ranch seem to offer axis, goat and pig hunts.

Has anyone brought home a cape,antlers and meat on a flight? How did you transport the antlers?

Thanks in advance

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 12:04:05 PM »
Nonhunting Maui pro tip:

Warren and Annabelle's does a dinner show with magic acts. 

It was AMAZING. 

I know you dont go there for dinner shows, but it was unreal.  We'd go again in a heartbeat if we were there. 

Family friendly.   We dont tend to bring kids, but it's a really nice show. ,
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline madcow41

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 09:53:36 AM »
It would be good to get a local to guide you. You support their family and economy and learn more about the aina. Definitely worth it as that’s what hunting is all about

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 10:10:09 AM »
Whenever you go to those islands, do your best to conceal your home address. Crooks on the islands have partners on the mainland and when they can get an address for somebody visiting, they contact the mainland crooks and then they come home to find they've been robbed. I've seen this happy many times to others.
And do tell us about the hunt when you get back.  :hello:
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 11:13:38 AM »
onx has Hawaii

I downloaded the whole island in high res before I went,  worked out good with onx and google maps

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]