collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What's Your Opinion: Waterfowl Gear  (Read 3971 times)

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
  • Faith, Family, Hunting, Fishing, and Dogs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/tiebinds
    • The Tie That Binds: Outdoor Ministry
  • Groups: Christian Waterfowlers Association; NRA Life Member; GOA; DU; DW
What's Your Opinion: Waterfowl Gear
« on: January 20, 2020, 08:02:34 PM »
As the season of waterfowling comes to a close soon, there's a lot of gear on sale. I've been given the thumbs up from my wife to purchase some gear for the next year. I've never paid much attention to high quality gear for myself as I've spent most of my money providing my kids the gear they needed to stay warm, dry, and capable to hunt well. I think by doing so, I've given them a better chance at staying passionate about the sport - and thus, they will be hunters for life.

But now... I get a chance to get some new gear!  :IBCOOL:

So, I'm on a hunt  :chuckle: for the following:

- breathable waders with warm boots  (1000 to 1600 Thinsulate)
  - a mid weight jacket that works well in the rain (looking for something that I don't need to add a rain coat to the mix)

I've been looking at Drake, Rogers, Banded, etc. but have heard some varying opinions.

I'd love to get more feedback.

What have you found works well for these two conditions: (Western WA rain/wind) and (Eastern WA cold)?

Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. - Psalm 127:3-5

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
Re: What's Your Opinion: Waterfowl Gear
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 08:11:30 PM »
Rivers West gear, a WA Company  :twocents:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 08:18:31 PM »
I will be buying some Roger's breathable waist waders this off season. I had been eyeing all the brands but I am gonna go Roger's. Keep an eye out for deals on Sitka gear coming up. You can find up to 40% off if you're patient and search a lot. I use a Dakota shell, its not waterproof but its great on the Eastside where I hunt most. I just layer accordingly underneath.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:37:29 PM by Mfowl »
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 08:47:56 PM »
I'll start off with the jacket.  After literally trying every jacket manufacturer on the market (Columbia, Drake, Winchester, Rivers West, Cabelas, Banded), I finally bought a Sitka Delta wading jacket.  BY FAR the best hunting jacket I've ever wore for being in the rain.  Every other jacket I tried, I'd eventually get wet.  Not with the Sitka.  I just wish I'd saved and purchased it earlier, I'd be money ahead. 

As far as waders, if it is going to be REALLY cold I'll throw on my Hodgman duramag 1600 gram boot waders.  If I'm going to be walking a lot or it's above freezing I wear my Cabelas breathables that I've had for 5 years.  They have been great, however I don't think they're made quite the same anymore.  Maybe someone with a newer model waders will chime in.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 08:57:49 PM »
I bought some Frog togg breathable waders and love them, so much so I bought them for my kid.  I paid 23p at sportco, suposidly frog togg makes the private label Rodgers.  I have a columbia sportswear jacket widgon I think. Mother in law had a golden ticket, friends and family promo.  Hard to beat. Love the combo. Breathable are awesomenif you have to walk very far. If you boat hunt only neoprene may be better except when you have to pee.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Online Pnwrider

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 09:27:20 PM »
I’ve got a Columbia wading jacket that I really like. Don’t think they make it anymore though. As far as waders, I usually buy the best pair I can at cabelas, knowing I will be replacing them every 2-4 years. It’s easy enough to layer under them depending on the weather.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 09:43:05 PM »
Personal opinions-
I would not buy anything Banded. Solely because the head dude is a doosh... just can't get past that. I will not patronize his gear.
I would stay away from Drake jackets. I have heard waaaay too much about them being poorly made. I briefly had a pair of their LST waders. They were actually pretty cool. Heavy duty, but had an extremely weird cut. The legs were super short and the torso was super long. Couldn't walk in them. It was too bad cause I think they were really well made otherwise.

I tend to buy the cheapest stocking foot breathable waders I can find these days. Sierra Trading Post usually has some good deals- under $100, sometimes $50. I usually get a season or two out of waders. I could spend big bucks on them- but inevitably I will tangle up with barbwire, a beaver gnawed branch, or some Russian Olive stickers and put a hole in them. $75 I can stomach, any more kind of hurts.

I hunt the eastside, and try to avoid wearing coats at all costs. I layer accordingly. If I do need a coat for warmth I put on my Sitka Dakota Hoody. That is the absolute best peice of waterfowling gear ever!
I used to have a Sitka Delta wading coat but I sold it. I don't need integrated lanyards, magnetic shell pockets, etc. I use a Sitka Cloudburst as a rain shell. It is lighter and cheaper than the Delta and more versatile.
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline EWUeagles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 07:55:04 AM »
My buddy bought some frog toggs breathable waders and he has liked them so far this year. He also owns a pair of Drake Breathable. He gets about 3 years out of breathables.

If you hunt the west side a lot I would look at sitka. I hear you can't beat their gear in the rain. I don't own any but plan on buying some base layers since they are a little thinner and super warm. I hunt super cold weather and wear a Merino Base Layer, Cabelas MTP Mid layer and then if it gets really cold I put on a Browning Jacket I got for 100 bucks. I have hunted in -11 and don't get cold. Now since we are seeing more and more rain on the east side than we used to I need to start looking at better waterproof layer.

Don't buy banded stuff they are a bunch of D-bags.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 08:15:53 AM »
I usually layer with either a sweatshirt or puffy coat and then my lightweight raincoat over if necessary.  I have a three in one coat I pull out if it's really cold, but the sweatshirt or puffy gets me through 90% of the season.  I thought about getting some Sitka stuff, but can't really justify two sets of hunting gear since my big game stuff works fine and the ducks don't seem to care.

Offline linxx77

• Hunter
  • President-Washington Waterfowl Association
    • www.facebook.com/linxx77
    • Washington Waterfowl Association-Spokane Facebook
  • Groups: Washington Waterfowl Association
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 08:37:18 AM »
For the jacket, I would go Hudson from Sitka.

It’s a warm mid-level  rainproof that works great for me till about 30 degrees. I bought one size up so I can wear my Sitka gradient hoodie underneath during the super cold times.

Not sure if applicable, but Like Stein, I try to get one cammo pattern for as many species I can. So all of my Sitka is in The Marsh pattern. I hunt deer in E. WA wheat fields and that pattern is awesome for those hunts as well. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
orbis non sufficit

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 08:52:36 AM »
having been around the block with just about every brand I would avoid any waterfowl specific line like Branded or Drake. They have the right ideas but lack execution and quality. Sitka is top of the line with a great warranty.

If I'm hunting in the cold I want to layer with a puffy from a ski co for insulation and then have an outer shell from a proven company. That said I do have a drake vest I like to throw over it all for the big pockets and old school waterfowl camo
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 09:45:21 AM »
At the recommendation of a buddy, I ended up buying these and am happy. Early season I just run a pair of lightweight long underwear underneath and late season I use fleece wader sweatpants underneath and am comfortable. Two things I really like about these are the overall fit and how much easier it is to hike in them.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83092?page=mens-beans-waterfowler-pro-waders-with-superseam-technology-boot-foot
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 09:51:40 AM »
It'll set you back some serious coin unless you catch sales, but I say Sitka.  I have a duck oven mid layering jacket and I cover it with a Delta Wading Jacket for warmer temps (down to 20 with no wind) or my Hudson jacket for colder temps with high winds.  Love these pieces.  Sitka's warranty policy is great, too.  A couple of years in, my Duck Oven zipper broke.  They sent me a brand new jacket as a replacement and paid shipping both ways.

I'm about to turn 65 and I figure I will have this Sitka gear for the rest of my hunting days.

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 11:11:20 AM »
It'll set you back some serious coin unless you catch sales, but I say Sitka.  I have a duck oven mid layering jacket and I cover it with a Delta Wading Jacket for warmer temps (down to 20 with no wind) or my Hudson jacket for colder temps with high winds.  Love these pieces.  Sitka's warranty policy is great, too.  A couple of years in, my Duck Oven zipper broke.  They sent me a brand new jacket as a replacement and paid shipping both ways.

I'm about to turn 65 and I figure I will have this Sitka gear for the rest of my hunting days.

The only complaint I ever hear about Sitka is their zippers sucks and I do hear it a lot. The same people that make the complaint though keep buying Sitka haha.

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 11:19:43 AM »
The only complaint I ever hear about Sitka is their zippers sucks and I do hear it a lot. The same people that make the complaint though keep buying Sitka haha.
Hey, if they are going to repair or replace the garment free for life on defects, yes I will keep buying Sitka.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]