collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Snowmobile maintenance & Gear  (Read 4585 times)

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: Snowmobile maintenance & Gear
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 07:07:21 AM »
One more thing to look up Fish Eyes (Has to do with creeks).

Oh, and wind drift cornaces on the back side of  ridge tops. Don't ride or walk out on them.  You may go for more of a ride than you anticipated.

Googled it but found nothing. :dunno:

Is it where the snow has not completely covered the creek in spots due to the water not being frozen over completely and the wind blowing snow causing a hole around it?

In sand dunes holes like this develop from wind blowing and for some reason certain areas holes develop that vary in size and depth, makes dune riding interesting sometimes. The holes can vary greatly in width, and depth.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 07:09:44 AM »
Good info guys . What about Goggles , are the heated ones worth the price? Am I going to hate life using my ATV helmet ? Think I might pick up a Balaclava for trail riding . You guys think Sorel boots would suffice until I can get some dedicated boots ?
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 07:15:09 AM »
Good info guys . What about Goggles , are the heated ones worth the price? Am I going to hate life using my ATV helmet ? Think I might pick up a Balaclava for trail riding . You guys think Sorel boots would suffice until I can get some dedicated boots ?

Definitely balaclava, when I ride my street bike in temps below 50 degrees without one it’s unbearable on my neck.😉
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 10:10:59 AM »
Yeah, fish eyes  - at least that is always what I heard them called - where the snow falls in on a creek - like a sink hole.  you can't see some of them until you are on top of them.  Snow bridges are right there with them for trouble too.

Sorrels work - I used the ones that closed up more like a gator at the top for a long time.  the ones with the fur at the top are going to get filled with snow if you can't keep them under the pant cuffs.

I cant remember if we used ATV helmets or winter ATV type helmets.  The ATV helmet would work in wet warm weather., and probably all the time, but I would have a poly head cover to go along with it just in case.  I am hot blooded, so venting was key for me.  Running down the roads/ trails at 60++ can get a little nippy, but never was unbearable. 
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2020, 10:27:20 AM »
One more good note - and this one I believe should be a fairly common sense one either bikes, atv's or sleds.  If you are riding with a big group, we always put someone that could handle themselves in back to bring up the rear.  They can help with anyone having trouble and keep the herd moving. 

along with that, another pretty common sense thing was to let any group you past going the other direction know how many more folks you had behind you on the trail.  Flash five fingers if you had a bunch, and so on down through the group with the last in line holding up a fist.  Just good trail courtesy.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 04:27:21 PM »
+1 on the knee pads, Ive put mine through the cowlings of several sleds

Not even on drops, but stuff just sneaks up on you and next thing you know your plastered to the handlebars and driving your knees through the cowlings...oooof!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 08:11:28 PM »
You don’t need a special helmet but you’ll want a breath box to help keep your goggles from fogging up.

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 01:39:10 PM »
OK, one more key piece of equipment.  A decent hand held GPS.  It is very easy to get turned around, especially when you aren't leading.   Or the " I don't need to know where we are cuz buddy boy does". . And then something happens to buddy boy.    One with a topo Map would be ideal.   Sometimes it's a matter of should we go back through the he'll we just came out of or is there another way?

Don't ride with your feet tucked up in the little footwell area under the cowling.  Good way to get a broken ankle.
Do be prepared to be standing and/ or kneeling on the seat a bunch, mostly when off the main trail.   You need to throw your weight around to get that pig to go were you want it.  Folks that really ride aren't in the seat a whole lot.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:10:49 AM by Cylvertip »
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2020, 07:39:01 PM »
Cant find an answer on this , just what people have told me . Is there a law about riding Double on a sled ? Is it legal for my 7 year old to ride on the sled with my wife ?
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2020, 08:11:23 PM »
Cant find an answer on this , just what people have told me . Is there a law about riding Double on a sled ? Is it legal for my 7 year old to ride on the sled with my wife ?

If it were specifically against the law it would be here:
https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.10.490

This is as close as I could find:
RCW 46.10.495

Additional violations—Penalty.
(1) No person shall operate a snowmobile in such a way as to endanger human life.

That said, I do it all the time and have done it lot's.  BUT I've never been checked while doing it,  so YMMV

I could see some harassment by LE over this,  so I'm not going to give you a definitive "yes it's legal"
So don't give them a reason to write you a different ticket, like having a loud exhaust

Federal law follows state law:
§ 2.18 Snowmobiles.
(a) Notwithstanding the definition of vehicle set forth in § 1.4 of this chapter, the provisions of §§ 4.4, 4.12, 4.13, 4.14, 4.20, 4.21, 4.22 and 4.23 of this chapter apply to the operation of a snowmobile.

(b) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the laws of the State in which the exterior boundaries of a park area or a portion thereof is located shall govern equipment standards and the operation of snowmobiles. Nonconflicting State laws are adopted as a part of these regulations.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2020, 08:17:35 PM »
They make 2-up sleds so how can it be illigal to ride with two on a sled??  We will be riding two up next week....trail riding only and at very reasonable speeds.  I will say this.....2-up changes the balance so slow and and steady and stick to the trails. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2020, 08:37:07 PM »
They make 2-up sleds so how can it be illigal to ride with two on a sled??  We will be riding two up next week....trail riding only and at very reasonable speeds.  I will say this.....2-up changes the balance so slow and and steady and stick to the trails.

Ya, it pretty much sucks  :chuckle:  :chuckle:

Offline Grit dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2020, 12:17:36 AM »
PM me if you want to talk sleds. I could type for days, but suffice to say, you can be very well geared up without spending a pile of money on Klim and Motorfist gear.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2020, 07:44:26 AM »

I bought a pair of 509 ignite goggles (heated) and they are the only way to go!!!  I have a huge noggin that produces a lot of heat.  I have never found goggles that didn't fog....until I bought the ignites.  Best $200 ever spent.  Prior to buying these goggles, I found I leaned toward just wearing sunglasses instead of goggles.  Again, my head is a heater so weather has rarely been a factor. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2020, 09:40:02 AM »

I bought a pair of 509 ignite goggles (heated) and they are the only way to go!!!  I have a huge noggin that produces a lot of heat.  I have never found goggles that didn't fog....until I bought the ignites.  Best $200 ever spent.  Prior to buying these goggles, I found I leaned toward just wearing sunglasses instead of goggles.  Again, my head is a heater so weather has rarely been a factor.

I too suffer from giant noggin syndrome,  thanks for the (big) heads up my huge noggin brother  :tup:  :tup:     :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]