collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2020 Lanai State Land Axis Buck  (Read 4194 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: 2020 Lanai State Land Axis Buck
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2020, 10:01:58 PM »
Is there a rifle season there?  How tough is it to bring a rifle to HI?  I'm assuming no worse than shipping your bow?

I believe you have to take your firearm to a police station in the town you’re staying in and register it with them when you arrive. I looked into it a while back and found that it’s a little more difficult to bring guns to Hawaii. Can’t remember 100% all the details.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Switchback

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 09:25:27 AM »
Is there a rifle season there?  How tough is it to bring a rifle to HI?  I'm assuming no worse than shipping your bow?

I believe you have to take your firearm to a police station in the town you’re staying in and register it with them when you arrive. I looked into it a while back and found that it’s a little more difficult to bring guns to Hawaii. Can’t remember 100% all the details.

This is true - although, I believe there's an exception to that rule if you are staying less than 3 days. And since all the state land rifle seasons are one weekend only, if you flew in Friday and flew out Sunday evening, you wouldn't need to do all the registration stuff. Would definitely double check on that - I haven't brought one to the islands.
State land rifle hunts are a lottery system, they have a few 'seasons' - each season is a weekend. You get drawn at random - so you apply in october, and then in february or so they post results and you find out which weekend you're going, or if you're on standby. So rifle is harder to plan a trip around in the longer-term, as you won't know anything before february other than you might be hunting one weekend between march and may.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2020, 09:37:16 AM »

This is true - although, I believe there's an exception to that rule if you are staying less than 3 days. And since all the state land rifle seasons are one weekend only, if you flew in Friday and flew out Sunday evening, you wouldn't need to do all the registration stuff. Would definitely double check on that - I haven't brought one to the islands.
State land rifle hunts are a lottery system, they have a few 'seasons' - each season is a weekend. You get drawn at random - so you apply in october, and then in february or so they post results and you find out which weekend you're going, or if you're on standby. So rifle is harder to plan a trip around in the longer-term, as you won't know anything before february other than you might be hunting one weekend between march and may.

The private land stuff is always open to rifle though isn't it?

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2020, 10:02:51 AM »
Lanai is 98% private with some state agreements I think, be careful out there

Offline Switchback

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2020, 10:43:01 AM »

The private land stuff is always open to rifle though isn't it?
Yes - 'company land' is land managed by the company, Pulama Lanai. They have designated parcels for archery, shotgun, rifle, and guided hunts - and I know archery is every day, I think rifle is but not sure. BUT the permit to hunt company land with a rifle is $400/day, which is why I haven't looked into it further.

Offline Switchback

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2020, 10:45:35 AM »
Lanai is 98% private with some state agreements I think, be careful out there
That is correct - all the land that anyone hunts on Lanai is private. Essentially, for hunting purposes, the private land is divvied up into two types - state land (managed by the state, with state-issued tags and seasons) and company land (managed by the company, Pulama Lanai).
So even though I was on a 'state land' hunt, I was still technically hunting private land - just a section of private land that the state is allowed to manage hunts on and that anyone can access.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal