collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New boat or just fix the transom?  (Read 3665 times)

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
New boat or just fix the transom?
« on: January 24, 2020, 09:12:44 AM »
So, I knew that I needed a new, more powerful, motor for my boat. I acquired a 1990 Spectrum Bluefin 1606 that was in pretty good shape as far as I could tell. IT had been covered and after doing some work on the floor it was ready for the water. Anyway, the 50HP Force outboard was a bit under powered so i started shopping for a new motor. I settled on the Mercury 60HP Command Thrust and i took it to the shop to have it mounted.

The shop was in Portland and they asked me to bring the boat so they could make sure the transom was in good enough shape to re-power the boat. I was told all was well and they sent me out the door with a new motor. I had to pick up my boat after hours in an absolute downpour so my inspection was not perfect but everything seemed in order. I towed the boat home and once home I noticed some pretty signification separation from the splash-well and the transom. I set about cleaning the area so that I could caulk it. During the cleaning I notice one of the drain plugs was broken and I pulled it out. I also saw wood on the plug so I put my finger into the hole and all the wood felt like jello. I decided to pull the other scupper out and it was the same thing. So it is now a certain that the transom is/was bad. No idea how the shop missed this.

I called the shop and told them what I had found. They were pretty shocked and have been trying to work this out with me. One option is that they will sort-of by back the motor from me and resell it to me in package deal with a new boat. Anyway, now I am looking a big decision, do I buy a new boat or do I try to put more time and money into a 30 year old riveted hull?   

Thoughts?   
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: New boat or just fix the transom?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 09:33:59 AM »
Aluminum will probably be a lot better than dealing with fiberglass so maybe it is worth it. I replaced one in an old fiberglass tri hull and it was a huge pita. Did they give you any indication of out the door cost?

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 09:48:09 AM »
You talking about do-it-yourselfing, or having it done?

Don't try to FIX it, I'm sure you know that. Jigsaw time. Lots of laminating and glassing to rebuild a motor mount transom. It would cost a couple hundred and a few days (with glassing/laminating skills), kinda depends on the trade off.

My experience is west side, and salt water, but OFTEN it was good money after bad... let it go. If the transom happens to somehow be the only rot in the boat, then maybe it's worth it. But (west, salt) it was rarely the only rot in the boat!

Edit: Looked it up, Aluminum laminated ply transom? I'd never fix it myself, but I'd use my do-it-yourself cost/time to judge their estimate. I'm skeptical! How much wood/glass is in that design?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:53:42 AM by rainshadow1 »
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 10:04:10 AM »

Don't try to FIX it, I'm sure you know that. Jigsaw time. Lots of laminating and glassing to rebuild a motor mount transom. It would cost a couple hundred and a few days (with glassing/laminating skills), kinda depends on the trade off.

My experience is west side, and salt water, but OFTEN it was good money after bad... let it go. If the transom happens to somehow be the only rot in the boat, then maybe it's worth it. But (west, salt) it was rarely the only rot in the boat!

Edit: Looked it up, Aluminum laminated ply transom? I'd never fix it myself, but I'd use my do-it-yourself cost/time to judge their estimate. I'm skeptical! How much wood/glass is in that design?

From everything I can tell it's just a wood piece that sits between two pieces of aluminum. Weirdly enough Smokercraft is still using this method of building transoms. Anyway, looks like I need to take off the motor, take the top cap off, take the inner skin off, pull out the old wood, and build a new piece coated in epoxy resin and then remount everything. It is the only wood in the boat that is bad.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 11:43:16 AM »
Post some pics, I’m curious on how it’s put together.

I’ve never done any fiberglass, but have seen it done, doesn’t look that tough to do, plus youtube I’m sure had great how too videos.👍

Lokidog has a boat sitting in my barn I know he would make you a killer deal on since he’s moving to WI.🤔
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 12:30:34 PM »
Dang that bites. I guess it’s a coin flip  :dunno: New would be better in the long run. Hence all new. If you have the skill and time and want to do it, why not.
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 12:36:23 PM »
Fix.

Check this guy out for some vids/tips.

https://www.boatworkstoday.com/

His youtube channel.

Also might find something useful from this guy, who is a wizard with fiberglassing.

His channel is Sail Life, and he is documenting restoration of a 40 or so foot sailboat.

https://www.youtube.com/user/madsdahlke

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 12:38:39 PM »
Post some pics, I’m curious on how it’s put together.

I’ve never done any fiberglass, but have seen it done, doesn’t look that tough to do, plus youtube I’m sure had great how too videos.👍

Lokidog has a boat sitting in my barn I know he would make you a killer deal on since he’s moving to WI.🤔

I thought it looked easy too, until I did it. Its pretty unpleasant to work with. It sounds like he will only be dealing with aluminum and wood, and may have the top cover riveted on rather than welded. If so I would consider trying myself. My last experience was that the wood was epoxied in and a real pain to get all of it out. The rotten parts pulled out while the parts that were solid were Stuck in and took a lot of elbow grease and beer to get out. You have to get it all out or your new piece isnt going to fit proper. The shape I was dealing with had a number of angles too which made getting the new one cut right and in a hassle.

Offline rainshadow1

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 12:39:26 PM »

From everything I can tell it's just a wood piece that sits between two pieces of aluminum. Weirdly enough Smokercraft is still using this method of building transoms. Anyway, looks like I need to take off the motor, take the top cap off, take the inner skin off, pull out the old wood, and build a new piece coated in epoxy resin and then remount everything. It is the only wood in the boat that is bad.

Has to tie into something forward too... if you get that, then I think you're golden.
- - Steve
 www.rain-shadow.com

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 12:44:45 PM »
I got these pictures from another forum but it's the same boat. This shows the transom without the inner skin and the wood taken out. It seems pretty to-the-point but we all know how that always turns out.
CoryTDF

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 12:48:23 PM »
Been looking at products like SeaCast, Carbon-Core, and Nida-Pour. These are all a compound that you pour into the void between the inner and outer skin and they create a new composite transom. They all look to be about the same and seem to work but man is the shipping expensive. I need about 8.5 gallons of product to do what i need to do and that is about $5-600 after shipping. Not sure it's worth it.
CoryTDF

Offline rainshadow1

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 12:50:34 PM »
I'm surprised how little forward connection... low center, and side walls. I'd add one on each side of the motor after I was done if it was me, but I reckon as long as you bond extremely well at all points, then it looks pretty straightforward.
- - Steve
 www.rain-shadow.com

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 01:06:50 PM »
Look into Coosa composite board...from what I've heard it's good stuff.

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 01:24:25 PM »
New boat. 

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 02:24:00 PM »
Look into Coosa composite board...from what I've heard it's good stuff.

I called about that today. cant seem to find a place to buy it?
CoryTDF

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand