collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Do you bring a tent with stove or without for the high hunt?

I bring a stove and need it.
15 (48.4%)
I bring a stove and dont need it.
0 (0%)
I do not bring a stove and dont need one.
9 (29%)
I do not bring a stove but wish I had one.
7 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: January 30, 2020, 08:24:48 PM

Author Topic: Stove or no stove  (Read 13595 times)

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Stove or no stove
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 01:24:03 PM »
Thanks for the votes. Looks like I will end up going with one of the luxe hot tents, I was leaning this direction but pack weight and cost was telling me to tough it out

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 01:33:09 PM »
Nothing wrong with the Luxe tents, I run one myself. Here’s the link for the NW distributor. You won’t find a better guy than Jake to deal with.

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/

Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 02:35:22 PM »
Never done highhunt, but being on a hunt where you have heat when it’s cold and wet is a game changer.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 07:37:46 PM »
Did not vote but will say that while packing for one of our local outfitters I left the Sheep mountain camp in the morning to go get additional hunters at the trailhead 22 miles away and only needed light weigh jacket, By the time I and the clients got back to camp we were riding in 1.5 feet of snow and freezing temps Personally my clothes actually had Ice one them from where it froze. 2 days later we had to pull all the camps because the snow was getting deep and was time to get out of dodge or spend the winter

As said above Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

OBTW was the absolute last time I went anywhere without my slicker and extra coat
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 09:47:18 AM »
Did not vote . . .

As said above Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

:yeah:

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 10:57:15 AM »
Thanks for the votes. Looks like I will end up going with one of the luxe hot tents, I was leaning this direction but pack weight and cost was telling me to tough it out

Think I would look at LiteOutdoor's before I went with LUXE. I would expand on that but I was told I must pay a sponsorship fee to do so. Just go look at the weights of the setups. I think you will see what i'm talking about. LiteOutdoors's is quality gear and they have amazing customer service.  :twocents:
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Buckhunter24

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 03:11:19 PM »
Interesting, I had not come across this company in my searches. Yes they are light and a good price, just sent an email with a couple questions but it seems like a better option, thanks

Offline Buckhunter24

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 09:57:26 AM »
I watched a video on the Lite Outdoor Stove, it looks like the metal is super flimsy. Almost like tinfoil. Do you use their stove in their tent or anyone have a recommendation on different stove? I would almost certainly ruin this thing in no time.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 10:17:10 AM »
I watched a video on the Lite Outdoor Stove, it looks like the metal is super flimsy. Almost like tinfoil. Do you use their stove in their tent or anyone have a recommendation on different stove? I would almost certainly ruin this thing in no time.

This is the nature of titanium stoves. I have tested nearly all of them. You would be surprised how well they work for as flimsy as they look. If you are thinking about packing in a stove you are going to want titanium and that is the trade off. Sure, you could go with a stainless stove like those from Winnerwell but they are heavy. Winnerwell also has a titanium stove called the FastFold that is pretty nice. It is not without it's faults though and in my testing I found that i prefer the LiteOutdoor's stove for trips in which I plan to bring camp in on my back. Just and FYI I do product testing and reviews as a side gig so I have spent a good amount of time with all the products you have been looking at and those I have suggested.   

Also, yes I do use the LiteOutdoors Plateau 5 Man with the 18'' Stove W Baffle. I have also used that stove in my SEEK 6 man tipi. I have used the Ti-Goat, WinnerWell, Seek, Liteoutdoor's stoves in several different combinations as they are pretty interchangeable. Personally, I like to be able to control the air intake and the damper so I sold the Ti-Goat stove. They all do the job though and they will keep you toasty warm! Might have another stove for sale soon.   
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 10:25:28 AM by CoryTDF »
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 11:03:04 AM »
I will say titanium stoves are nice to have, especially to warm up and dry out.

But, they are a pain to keep going, it can be especially challenging finding wood, and burn times are hard to keep going past 90 minutes to 2 hours.

So you are going to sleep sweating and waking up ice cold generally in a few hours.

In months where there is lot of light, you could be up till midnight and beyond drying anything out since you are getting back later in the day and getting up earlier, you will not be getting much sleep.

So just something to think about and another stress/energy expenditure.

With all that said, I still voted for take it with me and need it.  I have the seek outside XL.

I'm debating cutting up a North Idaho Fuel Log and splitting it up in my group on the pack in.  I'm thinking a few  rounds might last quite a bit longer than a bunch of sticks and found laying around I can find.  See if it's worth the extra weight.  I'm going to experiment this spring and summer with them.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2020, 11:40:12 AM »
The Seek XL loaded up with 3" to 4" logs will burn 2 to 2 1/2 hours damped down with fir.  Longer with hardwood.   But it will put out a lot of heat.   Thats the tradeoff in these little tents - big stove big heat.  Lil stove or little fuel then short burn times.  Its a balance to figure out how dry your wood is to burn as large of log as possible without putting out too much heat or just burn little pieces and stoke every 30 mins.

Offline Buckhunter24

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 11:48:26 AM »
I appreciate the detailed advice in this thread, as it helping spend my money right.

Our primary concern is to dry clothes, I have no doubt we can sleep warm enough without a stove.

I believe I will pull the trigger on a tent equipped with stove jack and hold off on stove for now. I plan on doing a couple short cold trips this spring then will decide on stove.

I suspect we will have a steep learning curve if it decides to snow in sept. Up high  :chuckle:

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 12:07:35 PM »
I appreciate the detailed advice in this thread, as it helping spend my money right.

Our primary concern is to dry clothes, I have no doubt we can sleep warm enough without a stove.

I believe I will pull the trigger on a tent equipped with stove jack and hold off on stove for now. I plan on doing a couple short cold trips this spring then will decide on stove.

I suspect we will have a steep learning curve if it decides to snow in sept. Up high  :chuckle:

Something else you are going to want to consider is condensation. You are going to get a lot of condensation in a floor-less tent with warm bodies and breath. It can get bad enough to have a rainstorm inside your tent. The stoves do a good job drying that up. No matter the stove or the tent combo you will still get condensation about 18'' up the sides that will likely never fully dry unless you have really nice weather. I am guessing you will wish you bought the stove after your first trip.
CoryTDF

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2020, 12:13:57 PM »
I have the seek outside XL.

I'm debating cutting up a North Idaho Fuel Log and splitting it up in my group on the pack in. 

Remove the spark arrestor screen.  I burned some duraflame in my SXL stove, and it clogged up pretty quick.  Perhaps NIFL burns cleaner.

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2020, 07:25:59 AM »
I have the seek outside XL.

I'm debating cutting up a North Idaho Fuel Log and splitting it up in my group on the pack in. 

Remove the spark arrestor screen.  I burned some duraflame in my SXL stove, and it clogged up pretty quick.  Perhaps NIFL burns cleaner.

They do, that's one of their selling points.  I ran them in our wood stove in our wall tent last fall and they worked really well, didn't soot anything up. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]