collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Used truck advice  (Read 8624 times)

Offline Carl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Used truck advice
« on: January 27, 2020, 07:33:25 AM »
I'm starting a search for a used truck. I would like 2018 or newer.  I like the F150 with EcoBoost engine, but Some like the Ram trucks. 

Has anyone done some comparisons on F150 like trucks?  Pros/cons would be appreciated.

Not looking for a diesel. Occasionally, I'll be towing a camper, < 10,000 lbs, or a boat.  I currently have a Tacoma that I like very much but it struggles pulling a 3,500 camper.  I think I can get better towing capacity and at least equal (probably better) mileage with a larger truck.

Any information will be a big help.

Thanks,
Carl

Offline ne kid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Used truck advice
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 07:45:10 AM »
I would take the Ford. The Ecoboost has been a great engine without a lot of problems.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 07:52:31 AM »
My son has one of the early model Ram Eco diesels, and loves it, he pulls a toy hauler that his truck is rated for.👍
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline bornhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 07:57:56 AM »
Drive both of them. I have the ram and my buddy has the ford. He complains about how uncomfortable his ford is when he gets in my truck. Lots of both of those trucks out there.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 08:00:10 AM »
My nephew just bought a 2018 F150 with the 5.0. He really likes it. Pretty good gas mileage and seems to pull his camper around just fine. Very nice truck!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline dc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 08:08:25 AM »
Do not hesitate to get the Ecoboost.  I had a 6.0 liter diesel, and for many reasons got rid of it.  I replaced it with a 2014 Ford with the 3.5 ecoboost.  I have a 6700 (dry) bumper pull trailer that I have zero problems pulling with the ecoboost.  Everybody who drives the truck cant believe it is a 6 cyl. engine. 

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 08:10:00 AM »
The Fords are amazing, I bought a 2016 a few weeks ago and have been incredibly happy with it.  I only looked at Fords, so I have no info on the Rams.

The biggest piece of advice I have is to not buy a Canadian truck.  Every one I looked at had significant rust problems, even in 3 year old trucks from Vancouver BC and the ones from further north or east were practically destroyed.  The Alberta trucks were the worst, many are oil field trucks that are beat.

You can find the origin by the CarFax which most dealers and some people provide.  If it's a Ford dealer, they often have a link to the original sticker which will show if it's Canadian or not.

When I was looking, probably 80% of the trucks for sale were Canadian.  They sell for more down here so a ton of Canadian trades end up in auction and the US dealers scoop them up for inventory.

Know what you want, what it will cost and what you are willing to live without and act fast as they don't last very long.

Ignore any claims by the dealer or their joke inspections, don't buy a Canadian truck.

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 08:11:13 AM »
10K is a hefty load to tow.  I have a 2018 F150 4x4 with the 2.7 Ecoboost.  I believe it is only rated to tow 8500 lbs. 

Offline dc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 08:15:17 AM »
I believe the 3.5 liter is rated for 13,500.  I would not want to pull that much with it, but the 7500/8000 that my trailer weighs with a load in it is not an issue pulling with this truck.

Offline Carl

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 08:20:00 AM »
The Fords are amazing, I bought a 2016 a few weeks ago and have been incredibly happy with it.  I only looked at Fords, so I have no info on the Rams.

The biggest piece of advice I have is to not buy a Canadian truck.  Every one I looked at had significant rust problems, even in 3 year old trucks from Vancouver BC and the ones from further north or east were practically destroyed.  The Alberta trucks were the worst, many are oil field trucks that are beat.

You can find the origin by the CarFax which most dealers and some people provide.  If it's a Ford dealer, they often have a link to the original sticker which will show if it's Canadian or not.

When I was looking, probably 80% of the trucks for sale were Canadian.  They sell for more down here so a ton of Canadian trades end up in auction and the US dealers scoop them up for inventory.

Know what you want, what it will cost and what you are willing to live without and act fast as they don't last very long.

Ignore any claims by the dealer or their joke inspections, don't buy a Canadian truck.

Great advice. I had no idea! 

Offline Carl

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 08:21:37 AM »
10K is a hefty load to tow.  I have a 2018 F150 4x4 with the 2.7 Ecoboost.  I believe it is only rated to tow 8500 lbs.

Agree. I just threw the 10K number out for a max I would ever pull.  My current camper is only 3,000 dry.

Online Old Man Yager

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 09:48:45 AM »

yes to that, my daughter has a 2015 Ram 1500 it’s a rust bucket underneath. They threw a coating on it, but fender wells are rusted out where mud flaps mount. She’s had it for about 5 years, and they were already like that when she got it.
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 11:58:51 AM »

yes to that, my daughter has a 2015 Ram 1500 it’s a rust bucket underneath. They threw a coating on it, but fender wells are rusted out where mud flaps mount. She’s had it for about 5 years, and they were already like that when she got it.

Yeah, I saw a few that had a black spray on coating but you could easily tell it wasn't factory because there were places they didn't get, half a shock was sprayed, etc.  All signs to move on.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 12:03:56 PM »
One more, if you google the model and year and "brochure", you will find the link to that year's brochure which has all of the trim packages, colors, engines, rear ratios, payload, tow capacity, etc.

Here is the 2016 I found when I googled "2016 F-150 brochure"

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2016&postalCode=17406

OK, one more.  I have the 36 gallon upgraded fuel tank and it's awesome.  I just one-stopped Arlington to Jackson, WY and it makes road trips much more enjoyable not having to worry about fuel stops nearly as much.  With 19 mpg, I have nearly 700 miles of range.

Offline Carl

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 01:15:34 PM »
One more, if you google the model and year and "brochure", you will find the link to that year's brochure which has all of the trim packages, colors, engines, rear ratios, payload, tow capacity, etc.

Here is the 2016 I found when I googled "2016 F-150 brochure"

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2016&postalCode=17406

OK, one more.  I have the 36 gallon upgraded fuel tank and it's awesome.  I just one-stopped Arlington to Jackson, WY and it makes road trips much more enjoyable not having to worry about fuel stops nearly as much.  With 19 mpg, I have nearly 700 miles of range.

Thanks, Stein.  That's a big help in figuring out what options/packages to look for.   :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]