collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Used truck advice  (Read 8618 times)

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
Re: Used truck advice
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2020, 11:18:53 PM »
If you get a fully loaded ecoboost, don’t expect 25mpg at 70mph.
If you get a base model no frills or thrills ecoboost, expect to get near there.

Tires, weight, and most of all, driving conditions will dictate your fuel economy. I can get 21mpg from Capitol Forest to Tacoma if I take easy and keep about 60mph
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2020, 11:21:11 PM »
My son has one of the early model Ram Eco diesels, and loves it, he pulls a toy hauler that his truck is rated for.👍

my wifes cousin has one of these, they love it and pull a 24" trailer. I rode in it a couple weeks ago a nice truck. I was looking at them, but they dont make a long bed is what i need.

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2020, 11:28:02 PM »
My son has one of the early model Ram Eco diesels, and loves it, he pulls a toy hauler that his truck is rated for.👍

my wifes cousin has one of these, they love it and pull a 24" trailer. I rode in it a couple weeks ago a nice truck. I was looking at them, but they dont make a long bed is what i need.

What do they haul with that trailer?
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2020, 11:39:27 PM »
its travel trailer.

Offline eastsidemallard74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF PETA EVOLVED FROM A HUNTER .
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2020, 06:54:21 AM »
I had a 17 f150 with the eco boost, and I think it pulled my trailer beautifully. I have a 31' Jayco, about 7k empty. It was my 1st Ford ever owning, and I was super impressed.
Is it waterfowl season yet..............

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2020, 08:55:29 AM »
That sounds more inline what I expect.  Heck my cummins gets 12-14pmg towing smaller toy hauler with payload in it to Id.  I felt that's decent.   I watched TFL on eco and 5.0 7k up Gauntlet, I think 4mpg was the #.  New 7.3 14mpg flat landing empty.  Chev and Ram big v-8 not any better, all 14-15mpg it seems.  Honestly unless you drop HP gas just doesn't seem to improve mpg much over the years.  And diesels the Gov epa has ruined.  I would love to see a V-8 eco boost and see how it compared to diesel engine HP and MPG?
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Carl

• Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2020, 09:10:37 AM »
I had a 17 f150 with the eco boost, and I think it pulled my trailer beautifully. I have a 31' Jayco, about 7k empty. It was my 1st Ford ever owning, and I was super impressed.

What size Eco Boost was it? They have 2 sizes, right?

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2020, 09:54:48 AM »
Ford went to aluminum bodies in 2015 I believe, so that is a big difference.  I think it's something like 700 pounds lighter which noticeably helps in both mileage and acceleration as well as rust.
Earlier. My 2013 is aluminum body.
2015 was the first year of the aluminum body. When they switched body style.

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2020, 10:23:04 AM »
I bought a new F-150 last September. I got the XLT 3.5 Ecoboost crew cab 4x4 w/6.5' bed and max tow

I did research and these were my findings. My biggest items were interior comfort for my entire family
F-150: tons of interior room(head & leg) front & rear. I get 19.1 mpg on my crappy commute and 22-23mpg on I-5 from Everett to Olympia with 750lbs in the bed. The back seat floor area doesn't have the hump, you could flip the seats up and sleep there no issues. I am loving this truck. The 5.0 motor was very close to the same mpg
Silverado: not as much space in the back seat. good head room
Tacoma: no head space, I am 5'11" and my head hit the roof(seats had no vertical adjustments)
Tundra: higher priced, but great resale value. only real Con less MPG
Dodge: more expensive and less MPG

Trim packages can move the price around alot. I wanted the bucket seats with center console/shifter. That added $1,500 over the 40/20/40 seats and column shifter

A kid at work got the same truck with 5.5' bed and did the leveling lift on frontend and more aggressive tread tires on his. it dropped his commute MPG down to 17.8 from 19

I know the smaller 2.7 Ecoboost gets even better MPG, but has less towing capacity

As others have stated. A lead foot will lower the MPG even on the Ecoboost

:twocents:                    :hello:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2020, 12:07:39 PM »
Good points, I guess I am just disappointed in all the tech not resulting in a gas engine with better mpg?  I wouldn't own a newer emission diesel unless $ didn't matter of course.  Or deleted?

There are plenty of ecoboost owners getting 25mph Highway. Get the little ecoboost and now you’re into the upper 20’s.  I’m not sure where your concern is coming from. Hell the 5.0 coyote motor will do low 20’s. The 3.5 with an average sized travel trailer will get you 13-15mpg all day. My early 2000’s half ton  Silverado got 13mpg empty around town and about 16 highway.
Sorry but I meant a truck doing truck stuff and honestly I doubt those mpg #'s.  Manufacture claims and real life tow #'s aren't legit imop.  I do not believe an eco will tow a "normal" sized TT to Spokane with 14mpg.  I dunno I could be wrong (not the last time either) but I research these new trucks and reviews and they do not get that kind of mpg typically.   For sure I haven't experienced anyone claiming silly mpg like that.   Maybe an ecodiesel?

I might be 1-2mpg off I guess, and truth be told, 95% of truck owners around here don't do truck stuff anyway. I'd wager that most of the bro's with their lifted and deleted Cummins trucks don't do truck stuff with them.  You're different in that you use your truck, but you're in the minority.  I'm surrounded by these trucks day in and day out. The numbers aren't "silly." Like I said, I might be 1-2mpg off. And the mpg's in an Ecoboost will vary greatly from driver to driver in mostly the amount the turbos spend spooled up. I don't own a Ford, but I talk to the owners all day every day. We've probably taken 20-25 F150's in today and I'm a talker. I love to yak with customers about their trucks.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2020, 12:09:41 PM »
If you get a fully loaded ecoboost, don’t expect 25mpg at 70mph.
If you get a base model no frills or thrills ecoboost, expect to get near there.

Tires, weight, and most of all, driving conditions will dictate your fuel economy. I can get 21mpg from Capitol Forest to Tacoma if I take easy and keep about 60mph

Yours is a 13 though, right? I am referring to newer aluminum(lighter) trucks with newer technology and most importantly, the 10 spd transmission.
And yours is a steel body.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2020, 12:10:12 PM »

What size Eco Boost was it? They have 2 sizes, right?

There is a 2.7 and a 3.5 ecoboost available in the F150's.

Offline eastsidemallard74

• Longhunter
  • EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF PETA EVOLVED FROM A HUNTER .
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2020, 01:44:43 PM »
I believe the 3.5, it also was lifted had 35s on it, and got 8-10 pulling the trailer, and 18-21 on frwy.I found a smoking deal at Dave smith on a Denali with the 6l or else I might still have it.
Is it waterfowl season yet..............

Offline Grit dog

• Longhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2020, 07:09:25 AM »
Back to the original post.
If you’re looking at 2018+ trucks, you owe it to yourself to shop for the right deal on a new truck.
The prices for almost new vehicles is, IMO, more than it should be.
Good economy, too many paying sticker price and then financing the whole thing and then some, local prices, etc.
Not much if any savings to go slightly used in this market.
And unless I could score that great deal locally, which appears to be not too likely, I’d plan on traveling for the right deal.

Offline Carl

• Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2020, 01:52:07 PM »
What I'm finding (or not finding) is getting depressing!  >:(

Extreamly low inventory. Most dealers are getting them from BC. They tell be BC is fine but stay way from those from Alberta.

Heafty price tags and they're selling for that price!

I'm now thinking about GMC or RAM.  I don't mind traveling to get a deal - I just can't find one.   :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]