collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Charter recommendations for neah bay bass and lings.  (Read 5577 times)

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Charter recommendations for neah bay bass and lings.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 10:48:15 PM »
Looking for recommendations for a great charter for bottom fish, don’t care about halibut, boring as heck.  Only looking for ling cod and bass around opening day, I think it’s April 16??  I have cousin who is a great captain and we’ve always done well on his boat, but he may not be able to make it this year so I want a back up plan.

I'm biased, but try Excel Fishing Charters from Neah Bay. I ran a second boat for him last year but took a new job and cannot swing it this year.

Tom specializes in bottomfish, he recently repowered and does 25 ish knots cruising in a 28 ft by 10.5 ft wide Uniflite.

You cannot go wrong with Girtz, Jim Richeson, or Randy Lato. All super fun to fish around.
I second this. Fished with him the last 2 years in a row. GREAT GUY! Works hard to get you limits and always a great attitude. Gives discounts if you pay cash and also a discount if you stay at their inn. He does what he calls and inshore lingcod/bottomfish combo. Thats what we have done. The rockfish are WAY bigger than what we caught the time we went out of westport and we have caught several good sized lings and cabe's with Tom. I don't know if I will get to go this year but I really hope that I can... if he isn't booked solid already.

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 11:07:15 PM »
Excel Fishing Charters for sure.  Tom is top notch.
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 06:34:38 AM »
Alpha angler

I talked to the Alpha Angler guys at the Tri City Sportsmen's show. They seemed like a good outfit to fish with.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline The Fin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • Groups: The Fin
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 05:06:54 PM »
I fished with Todd's extreme fishing and it was an amazing trip.  Left the dock in Neah Bay at 6:30 and didn't get back till almost 7 pm. The guy wants you to get quality fish. Our ling cod averaged over 20 lbs. and the sea bass were plentiful.  There were 4 of us on the boat and had easy limits.  :tup:
Life Member RMEF
Life Member NRA
Ducks Unlimited
Washington State Bowhunters

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 07:03:23 PM »
I fished with Todd's extreme fishing and it was an amazing trip.  Left the dock in Neah Bay at 6:30 and didn't get back till almost 7 pm. The guy wants you to get quality fish. Our ling cod averaged over 20 lbs. and the sea bass were plentiful.  There were 4 of us on the boat and had easy limits.  :tup:
on the web site it says they use electric reels, I know that very nice for deep water, but is there any fight? That’s all the fun in catching lings.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 08:04:55 PM »
on the web site it says they use electric reels, I know that very nice for deep water, but is there any fight? That’s all the fun in catching lings.

It ruins it for me. I see loads of people shove them in the rod holder and wait for it to beep at you when the fish is near the boat. The main difference is people can catch tons of fish and high grade to keep big ones without getting tired as fast, or at all.

Personally, I would love to see electric reels banned.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 08:21:49 PM »
To each their own but I've reeled in allot of hali and ling's from 500-700' in my time ..it gets old reel fast... besides some tugging and pulling your not really playing the fish .so electrics are my go to on my boat. And when your constantly running into " fish you can't keep" these days, it makes no sense to go up and down more than you have to hand cranking.

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 08:46:06 PM »
Looking for recommendations for a great charter for bottom fish, don’t care about halibut, boring as heck.  Only looking for ling cod and bass around opening day, I think it’s April 16??  I have cousin who is a great captain and we’ve always done well on his boat, but he may not be able to make it this year so I want a back up plan.

I'm biased, but try Excel Fishing Charters from Neah Bay. I ran a second boat for him last year but took a new job and cannot swing it this year.

Tom specializes in bottomfish, he recently repowered and does 25 ish knots cruising in a 28 ft by 10.5 ft wide Uniflite.

You cannot go wrong with Girtz, Jim Richeson, or Randy Lato. All super fun to fish around.

:yeah:

Fished with Randy last year for Kings, he owns Always Fishing, has a great boat and fun to fish with!
IAFF #3728

Offline Mark Youngblood

• Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2020, 08:19:48 PM »
Todds Extreme Fishing for Neah, also Far Corners Sportfishing , All Rivers and Saltwater charters out of Westport...or I offer ling/sea bass trips out of Ilwaco but only rent by the boat, $1350 plus tax , max 6 persons, May and early June... 5 bass and 2 lings since I fish oregon waters..... its 7 bass and 2 lings in Westport and Neah Bay

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2020, 08:44:39 PM »
You might want to rethink that opening weekend trip. With a 4 halibut per season limit the season will likely extend clear into June. Neah is a zoo both on and off the water for the opening weekend, charters are always full, weather is often terrible and fish usually run smaller than later in the season. Last year the guys who know what they're doing had no trouble limiting all through the season. I know the fish we caught later definitely averaged much larger and many I saw coming off charters the opening weekend were just dinner plate size. Just a thought if you can hold off. Electric reels are a real blessing for us old dudes and I think a near must for those fighting off seasickness out there.  Not a big deal if you're still young and not prone to getting sick. Ling's and bass are always an easy.deal
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 08:57:29 PM by baldopepper »

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2020, 08:47:16 PM »
7 bass in wa? It’s 10 on ocean side isn’t it?  Deep water big lings w 10 bass is just a few more dollars. Appreciate the info but there are cheaper deals with more fish.  Just being honest, not trying to bust balls.

Offline Mark Youngblood

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2020, 09:51:11 PM »
Yep looks like you guys are right I have not fished Neah in 5 years...I thought it was 7 coast wide.... looks like Westport is different then if you go deep water in Neah its 7 but 10 near shore...either way its your best bet for bottom fish, trips cost more but you can catch more...good luck...I don’t fish out of Neah or lapush any more so I was wrong my bad good luck.....

Offline Mark Youngblood

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2020, 10:08:29 PM »
7 bass in wa? It’s 10 on ocean side isn’t it?  Deep water big lings w 10 bass is just a few more dollars. Appreciate the info but there are cheaper deals with more fish.  Just being honest, not trying to bust balls.
[/quot

No worries at all, the cattle boats (Large above 6 person charters) will always be your cheapest bet, great trips if all you are looking at is cost....Westport is a great place and they have allot of great charters there...best of luck, 6 pack express charters is an entirely different experience and I think you will find we are all pretty much equally priced for our areas.... but hands down for cost the big boats are your best bet...go fishing and have fun!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2020, 10:12:19 PM »
This thread has most boats that don’t carry more than 6 people, I appreciate all the good info. 

Offline Mark Youngblood

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2020, 10:29:02 PM »
Your most welcome....whoever you decide on I highly suggest  you get enough people for a private boat.....in the end you will have a much better trip if you know everyone,,,, best of luck and go catch some fish...last you will hear from me...lol.... Mark

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]