collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Veteran / Active Duty Special Hunt 2/1/2020  (Read 2123 times)

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Veteran / Active Duty Special Hunt 2/1/2020
« on: January 28, 2020, 07:51:37 AM »
Youth, veterans, and active military waterfowl hunting opportunity Saturday, Feb. 1

OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) reminds youth, veterans, and active military that a special one-day waterfowl hunt is scheduled statewide on Saturday, Feb. 1, 2020.

This special hunt includes all regular season opportunities, including coot, all ducks, and all allowable geese including brant in Clallam, Pacific, Skagit, and Whatcom counties.

"The chance for our veterans and active military to hunt with their kids is pretty special," said Kyle Spragens, WDFW waterfowl section manager. "There are few times when people get to hunt with fewer hunters on the landscape, so we're excited to be able to offer this chance."

All bag limits will be the same as those allowed during the regular season with a single day possession limit. All species with a special authorization and mandatory harvest report card requirement still apply. Consult the Migratory Waterfowl and Upland Game Seasons hunting pamphlet at wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations.

WDFW wildlife areas that allow waterfowl hunting access will remain open to access for this special hunt. Many of our private land access opportunities will also be available, so check the website for site availability and locations, and reservation opportunities at wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/locations/private-lands.

Additionally, the following USFWS national wildlife refuges in Washington will remain open in designated areas. Contact specific refuges for details:

Eastern Washington:

Columbia
Conboy Lake
Hanford Reach National Monument
McNary (including Wallula, Peninsula, Two River, Burbank Slough Units only)
Toppenish
Turnbull – Youth only; (please contact refuge to obtain a letter of authorization prior to hunt)
Umatilla – Washington-side only
Western Washington:

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually
Julia Butler Hansen – Washington-side only (Hunting and Price Islands)
Ridgefield
Willapa
"This hunt is a first-of-its-kind opportunity in the Pacific Flyway and came because of a provision in the John Dingell Jr. Conservation, Management, and Recreation Act," said Spragens. "It's an opportunity to build memories and mentorship for Washington's waterfowlers, and a small way of thanking those that have and continue to serve our country. We're grateful to our partners at the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) refuges for ensuring their waterfowl hunting areas would remain open during this date."

Youth waterfowl hunters must be accompanied by an adult at least 18 years old who is not hunting, unless that individual is a veteran or active military.

Active duty military includes members of the National Guard and Reserves on active duty (other than for training). Veterans must have served in the active military, naval, or air service, and discharged or released under Honorable conditions. Hunters are encouraged to have one of the following, or a copy of, during the hunt: DD214, Veteran Benefit Card, Retired Active Military I.D., or Active Duty I.D. card.

This special hunt date is specific to Washington state. WDFW reminds waterfowl hunters to familiarize themselves with local regulations and boundaries. Specifically, hunters are advised to consult the rules and regulations associated with allowable waterfowl hunting areas of the above-mentioned national wildlife refuges.

Information on species bag limits and special hunting authorization requirements are available in WDFW's Migratory Waterfowl and Upland Game Seasons hunting pamphlet at wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations.

WDFW is the primary state agency tasked with preserving, protecting, and perpetuating fish, wildlife, and ecosystems, while providing sustainable fishing and hunting opportunities.

" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
Re: Veteran / Active Duty Special Hunt 2/1/2020
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 12:04:08 PM »
 :tup:

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 12:21:43 PM »
Very cool.  I'm gonna send the info to a few activities on JBLM that may be able to advertise it. 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 02:58:48 PM »
Cool.

Thanks for posting. 

If I can clear my schedule, I will invite a couple vets/kids out to my duck/goose place.     
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 03:26:09 PM »
Oh nice! I'd love to get my boy out one more time! Be nice to watch him blaze a few more birds.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Oldguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 03:24:45 PM »
This is just an extra day to hunt ducks but licenses are still required. Just verified with WDFW.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 04:10:46 PM »
This is just an extra day to hunt ducks but licenses are still required. Just verified with WDFW.

Kids don't need the federal stamp, but anyone over 18 that is a veteran will have to have small game, state duck and federal duck stamp.   Along with snow goose, brant, seaduck endorsement if needed.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Badhabit

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 07:53:19 AM »
A beautiful sunrise today out of the duck blind. My 2 hunting buddies took two veterans out for todays special hunt.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 10:22:24 AM »
We took my son out. Was extremely windy, did not get any. Was still great to get out one more morning!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 11:35:19 AM »
 :yeah: Same here...hardcore wind on Fir Island

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter