collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What kind of rail is this?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
What kind of rail is this?
« on: January 28, 2020, 05:44:42 PM »
I am setting up a Christensen Ridgeline for next hunting season and ordered some Burris signature xtr rings for it that does not fit these mounts.

These mounts measure exactly 1/2" across. Should I remove them and go a different route?

What are my options for a rail or mounts that I can put on this rifle for a rock solid back country rig? The scope going on is a Vx5hd firedot in 3-15 40mm

Offline Slow-drifter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
    • Jacob G Rondeau
Re: What kind of rail is this?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 07:05:43 PM »
For what it's worth, I just set up my Mesa with the same scope, sitting in 20moa Talley's. No rail, still got the 20 moa.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 07:34:19 PM »
For what it's worth, I just set up my Mesa with the same scope, sitting in 20moa Talley's. No rail, still got the 20 moa.

You cracked the code. I found out they are talley's quick release ring bases. I am going to take them off the gun and go a different route.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 07:58:11 PM »

I found out they are talley's quick release ring bases.

Not to jack your thread, but it sounds like your question is answered.  Just curious, since the subject of quick release scope mounts was brought up.  Anybody have much experience with the quick release thing?  I currently have a red dot mounted on a quick release on my ar, and its got me thinking about doing a quick release traditional scope, to be able to swap out depending on where ill be hunting, and the ranges i may shoot at.  The traditional scope would be for ranges of 100 to a max of 300 yards.  But im very skeptical about taking the scope off, putting it back on, and it still being zeroed properly.  Often i dont know where ill end up hunting when i leave the house.  Half the time i head out with one plan in mind, and end up going someplace else for whatever reason.
Especially this time of year when i may get to a place and see i cant even pull off the road where i want to due to big berms of snow from the plow trucks. Would be nice to not have to bring 2 rifles and leave one in my truck .

I can make this its own thread if im stepping on OP's toes.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 09:07:05 PM »
With a quality steel base and good rings (Leupold QRW, etc.) I have had very good experiences with my guide guns. I am still a believer in iron backups (and am still adept at their use) but am in scope appropriate areas and get funny looks n comments if I don’t have a scope.  On my .375 H&H I have irons and a VX5 2-10 in QRW rings and a one-piece steel picatinny base. It is good to 300 without issue and taking it off and putting it back on changes zero little at that range. Just make sure you seat the bases well against the forward stop (in the same slots, of course :chuckle:) and you should be minute of dog at 300.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 09:10:14 PM »
With a quality steel base and good rings (Leupold QRW, etc.) I have had very good experiences with my guide guns. I am still a believer in iron backups (and am still adept at their use) but am in scope appropriate areas and get funny looks n comments if I don’t have a scope.  On my .375 H&H I have irons and a VX5 2-10 in QRW rings and a one-piece steel picatinny base. It is good to 300 without issue and taking it off and putting it back on changes zero little at that range. Just make sure you seat the bases well against the forward stop (in the same slots, of course :chuckle:) and you should be minute of dog at 300.

Minute of dog is my entire goal.  As long as i see that tail spinnin, im happy.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 12:49:44 PM »
 :tup:

Obviously test it and make sure it holds well in your setup, it worked in mine is all I can vouch.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 08:11:35 AM »
One of my old savage 99s made me a believer in detachable mounts. The scope it came with was set up with a 3-9x scope in old school weaver rings, i keep a lower power scope on it for hunting, and put the 3-9 on to do load development, it returns to zero every single time.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal