collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scope help!  (Read 1790 times)

Offline huntfish365

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • Brandon McMullen
  • Groups: N/A
Scope help!
« on: January 25, 2020, 05:38:58 PM »
Need help deciding. Vx6HD in 4-24x52, Mark 5 in either 3.6-18 or 5-25, or nightforce nx8 2.5-20?? They all seem like great choices but I want to hear your thoughts. Will be a long range hunting rifle in 28 nosler and shoot to 1000yds on occasion. I prefer more magnification but is the mark five in 5-25x56 too large and be too high to get a good cheek weld? Let me know you’re thoughts!

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
Re: Scope help!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 07:38:54 PM »
The VX6 HD would be my choice.  Really nice scopes and lighter than a Nightforce.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 09:20:34 AM »
I would go Nightforce if you have a light enough rifle to compensate for the extra weight of the scope.  My rifle was 9# bare so I went VX6 4-24 and vx6 7-42 and am happy with these as it keeps me under 10.5# which is still about a half pound more than I would like.  Thats with a Carbon Barrel and Manners 26 oz stock.  I would have to go with a titanium action to be able to use a heavy Nightforce scope due to the weight. 

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 07:54:46 PM »
I'd probably go with the Mk 5. I've been very close to buying one for a while, but I'm just not sure what I'd put it on. :chuckle:

Have you considered a March scope? You can find them in the same price range as some of the others you're looking at and they're very light and compact.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 09:49:04 PM »
If weight is a concern the VX6 would be my choice out of the options you listed. If it’s not then the NX8 would be my choice “don’t like anything bigger than 50mm”.
I went with a VX6 3-18x50 for my build to try and keep the whole gun under 10lbs with scope and bipod also because I like SFP scopes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:55:24 PM by dmoua »
Instagram @dmoua_outdoors

Youtube channel DMOUA OUTDOORS
https://www.youtube.com/user/YeXuSsOlDiEr

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 06:12:42 AM »
Seeing as how I doubt you'll be trucking this rifle and scope out through the woods shooting at game 1000 yards away (at least I hope you won't be, if you are who will your forward observer be and take lessons on closer to game) Why would worry about weight even be a concern just load it in the rig, get help carrying it to the bench shoot away.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 11:34:59 AM »
Seeing as how I doubt you'll be trucking this rifle and scope out through the woods shooting at game 1000 yards away (at least I hope you won't be, if you are who will your forward observer be and take lessons on closer to game) Why would worry about weight even be a concern just load it in the rig, get help carrying it to the bench shoot away.

Forward observer? :rolleyes:

A 12# gun is plenty stable for shooting at 1000 yards. You make it sound like he’s building some sort of crew-served weapon.  :chuckle:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 11:42:44 AM »
get help carrying it to the bench shoot away.

How big is it ???:)

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 11:52:16 AM »

A 12# gun is plenty stable for shooting at 1000 yards. You make it sound like he’s building some sort of crew-served weapon.  :chuckle:

IMO Shooting at 1000 yards is either snipeing, artillery or benchrest shooting not hunting so with one you need a spotter or with the other a FO unless
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline bullfever

• Forum Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 11:52:54 AM »
My vote would be for the Nightforce. But, I believe the NX8s are FFP, and I prefer SFP. I put a NF ATACR 4-16 x 50mm on my 8 lb 300 win mag. I know it's a heavy SOB, but reliability and durability is second to none. Extremely happy with it all around. As a hunting rig, it's on the heavy side but I don't mind the weight for what it is. I'm sure they will all do a fine job; I don't think you can go wrong.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 12:03:01 PM »

IMO Shooting at 1000 yards is either snipeing, artillery or benchrest shooting not hunting so with one you need a spotter or with the other a FO unless
:dunno:

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 12:08:48 PM »

Practicing at 1000+ is a great way to become highly proficient at harvesting game at lesser distances. It’s not unreasonable to want a weight conscious hunting rig that can bang steel way out there

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 03:12:45 PM »
The more you shoot at 1K, the more you will realize just how hard it is to make a cold bore shot with any sort of wind.  Back to topic.  I would choose NF.

Offline NWShooter

• Hunter
  • Groups: RockyMountain Elk foundation, Mule Deer Foundation, NRA.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 09:10:41 PM »
Leupolds repeatability is lacking to say the least. Thousands spent to prove the same. Their turrets will gag the best, even though we have run worse. Take the Nightforce 10 fold over the Loopcrap. Don’t exclude other quality glass.
A empty vessel makes the most noise.

"Every normal man must be tempted , at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]