collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is it time to make Bow Seasons same rules as Rifle and Muzzy?  (Read 52447 times)

Offline dreamingbig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Is it time to make Bow Seasons same rules as Rifle and Muzzy?
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2020, 08:27:39 PM »
The unfortunate reality is that without proper predator management (not going to happen, given up hope) there aren’t going to be enough elk to support the harvest rates that advanced weapons bring.

The entire state will need to move to archery only to reduce harvest rates and or hold 1 day hunts for modern firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline goldenhtr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2020, 06:00:42 PM »
I’m still trying to figure out why a trolling, argument inducing thread full of assumptions was deemed important enough to qualify as a sticky.  :dunno:

:yeah:
Gen:27:3

Offline Fullabull

• Longhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2020, 09:44:15 PM »
All three weapons have equal difficulty in hunting for different reasons. Archery, distance, accuracy, lack of hunters pushing elk around, and (no we don't get to hunt prime rut). Muzzy, distance, accuracy (no scopes) and lack of other hunters pushing elk around. Modern, hunting after rut, after two other weapon seasons and competing with to many other hunters. The harvest success rates prove this.
So it's not the weapon choices that is the problem. It's the management.

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2020, 01:01:08 PM »
The WDFW/ Washington "Kill em all, or Save them All mentality does not work.  set low conservative number of cow tags for every group and let it ride for 5 years.

:yeah: :tup:

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2020, 06:30:17 PM »
IMO- If the lack of Predator management, Tribal Hunting, etc. continues the way it is; our Big Game herds will continue to dwindle down to the point the WSDFW will have to move to a draw only system and close areas such as the Blues in an attempt to rebuild the populations. I don’t see our herds lasting another 10-15 years at the current pace. I’m no expert, but common sense and simple logic says the herds are in trouble. The drastic reduction in Quality permits seems to be the first step. What really upsets me is all the doe, second deer, youth, etc. permits. The Department is continuing to offer them year after year in an attempt to collect revenue that they should be collecting elsewhere if they were managing our Big Game properly. We will always have some form of hunting in Washington, but how good of hunting will it truly be. Now Grizzly bears are moving in. Imagine all the elk and moose calves that won’t make it, due to Grizzly’s and of course wolves all over the state.

I’ve never hunted elsewhere, but I’m strongly considering investing my money in Alaska, Arizona, and New Mexico if this negligence continues. They need to scrap the current Department and hire in some folks with a proven track record of understanding how to properly manage Big Game and the finances that come with it. 2 cents

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2020, 07:33:54 PM »
Eliminate scopes and semi auto rifles.  Open sight single shot.  Regulate to hard cast ammo only.  Shut out some gmus's.  Yup make em equal.  All get 1 week in october rotating annual. :tup: :chuckle:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2020, 03:43:19 PM »
Maybe WDFW's goal should be for all categories/weapons to harvest close to the same amount of game and or have the same opportunity.

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2020, 04:57:22 AM »
Maybe WDFW's goal should be for all categories/weapons to harvest close to the same amount of game and or have the same opportunity.

That would be tough unless they severely impacted the Modern Firearm structure, which could potentially make a major impact on the revenue they make off Modern Firearm hunters. Assuming I’m understanding your comment. It’s going to be interesting to see if any major changes are coming in the next few years.

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2020, 07:28:06 AM »
 : I was being sarcastic...that is wdfw's goal . They try to make all  Weapons do have the same opportunity in the same percentage. They have to otherwise would be given preference over to one and not the other

Offline lemondog

• Scout
  • Groups: lemondog
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2020, 06:59:55 AM »
Sorry but all the issues listed in the comments above will require a system similar to Nevada. Everyone (including residents) will have to draw...That means you don't get to be the shooter every year. And it will cost more to apply. Trust me, it's more fun to go help a buddy on a true "quality hunt" than to march around the woods and see nothing but hunters, 2 point bucks and cows with a weapon in hand. Accecpt it or accecpt a very poor hunting experience as we go forward. We are not going to beat all the ridiculous issues we have to deal with in this state including no viaiable preditor control, wolf introduction, native unlimited hunting and a growing human population. I have been hunting mostly out of state for the last 15 years because of this. It has been very rewarding whether a harvest was accomplished or not. It's time we all got on the same page...No matter what user group you are in or were going to end up with nothing worth talking about.

Offline Tribal Elder

• Pilgrim
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2020, 06:56:35 AM »
Go to a draw only system. You put in for what you want, where, and how and if you get drawn you get to hunt. If not, you don't. Problem solved.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2020, 07:05:38 AM »
Go to a draw only system. You put in for what you want, where, and how and if you get drawn you get to hunt. If not, you don't. Problem solved.
Hmm, If you are tribal, I can see why this would be easy for you to say.  If not, a draw only system isn't needed on the west side, the east side has an issue that has been going on for years, prob will never get solved.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2020, 08:27:05 AM »
Sorry but all the issues listed in the comments above will require a system similar to Nevada. Everyone (including residents) will have to draw...That means you don't get to be the shooter every year. And it will cost more to apply. Trust me, it's more fun to go help a buddy on a true "quality hunt" than to march around the woods and see nothing but hunters, 2 point bucks and cows with a weapon in hand. Accecpt it or accecpt a very poor hunting experience as we go forward. We are not going to beat all the ridiculous issues we have to deal with in this state including no viaiable preditor control, wolf introduction, native unlimited hunting and a growing human population. I have been hunting mostly out of state for the last 15 years because of this. It has been very rewarding whether a harvest was accomplished or not. It's time we all got on the same page...No matter what user group you are in or were going to end up with nothing worth talking about.
This is spot on!
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline ibuyre

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, SAF
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2020, 07:59:04 PM »
Eliminate scopes and semi auto rifles.  Open sight single shot.  Regulate to hard cast ammo only.  Shut out some gmus's.  Yup make em equal.  All get 1 week in october rotating annual. :tup: :chuckle:

I kinda, sorta REALLY REALLY like that ;). But I did grow up shooting cast lead from single shots, and I would love to have reason to hunt with one. Sometimes I take one out into the timber just cause, but have yet to connect like that. Shoot some of those are more primitive than a modern muzzle loader.

Online jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2020, 08:03:59 PM »
Stop the Multi Season

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]