collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: dog training  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Afraiman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • New to hunting and fishing.
dog training
« on: February 04, 2020, 02:27:09 PM »
I've caught the bug, Adult Onset Hunting, and i'd like to give it to my 3 year old lab/pit mix pup. Hes done lots of schooling since the time he old enough for school, puppy class, beginning and intermediate obedience, several rounds of "doggy parkor", and most recently several rounds of nose work. I have also read the Wolters book Water Dog. He is a good learner and picks up on things quickly. I want to train him to be a real duck dog. I'm not looking for a world class retrieve to the hand every time or being able to pick up doubles or triples, because quite frankly, I'm not shooting any doubles anytime soon. i just want him to be steady when i shoot and be able to get the duck i shoot and bring it back in one piece. As much as i want him to be a hunting dog, he is a big lap dog first and foremost; I don't think my wife and I would be able to handle sending him to boarding/training for weeks, let alone have several grand to pay for it.
Does anyone know any trainers in the king county area that do individual or series of single training sessions and training the trainer as much as training the dog?

Offline Carl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: dog training
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 02:36:05 PM »
There are great resources on this forum. Also, look into Whistling Wings Hunting Retriever Club, or Cascade Hunting Retriever Club.  Both train in the Monroe area and very helpful folks.

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 04:11:27 PM »
Sounds like he's already pretty sharpened with basic obedience and learning commands... that's over half the battle. I'd just start him on casual retrieving. I think Wolters covers it, but youtube has a ton of stuff too... hallways, check cords, etc. Demand completion of the basic retrieving skill from the steady sit. Consistent. Every time. Then you'll see what you've got.

After that you can go to free retrieves (no confinement or leash), then water retrieves, blind retrieves, multiple retrieves, etc.

Confirm all that, add gun training (basically just make sure he's not scared of the gunshot) and you're there.

If he has basic obedience and listening skills, you're well on your way. You're just adding "tricks" to his resume. You don't need a professional trainer anymore. Doing it yourself will go miles beyond in your ability to communicate with YOUR dog.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline Afraiman

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 06:11:13 AM »
thanks for the info guys!

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 08:18:03 AM »
Already read Water Dog? Man, you are a rare novice. That is my test for people that ask me about dog training. I wont even waste my time until they have read Water Dog or Game Dog. Dog training is difficult but very rewarding. I find that most people, probably about 90% of them that ask, just don't have the stick-to-it to get what they think they want. Most people are "Ask Holes" meaning they want to know what to do but then don't follow through with the advice they are given.

Don't be surprised to get some funny looks and possibly even snubbed a little when you mention the "Pit/Lab Mix" part of it. Us Lab people can be a bit snobbish when it comes to the breed. That said, I respect anybody that wants to put in the time and train their dogs to the level they should be at before they take them hunting. I am a pretty experienced dog handler, though not a professional trainer. I have no problem offering advice to you when you need it.

Best thing I can tell you for now is to pick a program and stick to it. Mike Lardy or Evan Graham are pretty popular programs. The key is consistency.   
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Afraiman

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 06:31:56 AM »
thanks!

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 12:42:48 PM »
I subscribe to BowWowFlix.  They are a company out of Washington that rents all sorts of dog videos including Evan Graham's Smart Fetch series and other training videos.  For a pretty modest fee, you can check out each portion of a training program, one at a time, and keep it as long as you want.  It's a good deal and a damn sight cheaper than buying the vids. 

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 01:19:20 PM »
Hard to beat in person feedback based on experience. Whistling Wings and Cascade HRC is basically a group of like minded folks wanting and training for the same things you are. Both clubs have up coming training days. I believe Cascade is 1st Saturday of every month and Whistling Wings 2nd Sunday. There is also Newaukum Retriever Club to the South.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 01:15:49 PM »
Hard to beat in person feedback based on experience. Whistling Wings and Cascade HRC is basically a group of like minded folks wanting and training for the same things you are. Both clubs have up coming training days. I believe Cascade is 1st Saturday of every month and Whistling Wings 2nd Sunday. There is also Newaukum Retriever Club to the South.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

:yeah:
This is really solid advice. You will have a really good time with these people I'm pretty sure of that. The first hand knowledge that you will pick up will be well worth your time. Good luck I hope you stick with it and end up with the dog that you are looking for.
Lead em if they're running.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull