collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: fun day at school  (Read 2338 times)

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
fun day at school
« on: February 04, 2020, 03:59:07 PM »
im a second year trapper, been having success but still have tons to learn. anyhow, i had sent furs from last year off in november last year and just got them back a few weeks ago. my daughter is in 1st grade and we got to talking. since she has been going with me this year, she thought it would be a good idea to take a few furs in for show and tell in class. yesterday was the day. we took one beaver, one otter and 4 muskrat furs in with us that we could pass around. she lead the charge in talking about trapping( it was awesome) and i helped answer questions the kids had that she couldnt. ill tell you what, those kids were interested and excited! it was great to see. tons of great questions by these kids, it was nice to give a positive first hand look about trapping to them. they had so many more questions than we had time. took about 45 mins but it was well worth it. great opportunity to shine positive light on a great tradition, hobby, lifestyle. if any of you have small kids, id suggest maybe asking the question if you can too do something like this. it was a great time and id love to do it again for these kids.

side note, the otter was the hit. for what ever reason, these kids all wanted to take that one home over everything else. was great to watch and be a part of

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
Re: fun day at school
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 04:11:09 PM »
It's really cool to show the kids different aspects of hunting, fishing and in your case trapping. When my daughter was in first grade I was into muzzy hunting with all the trappings of a mountain man. I dressed up and was allowed to take my smoke pole to school. After a long talk to the kids about black powder we went outside where I tossed my hawk at logs and started a small fire with flint and steel, they loved it. A few years later my daughter was into squid jigging with me, she got one big one and froze it on a board and took that to show and tell.
Good on you for getting kids into things other than electronics  :tup:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 04:19:28 PM »
Tried it one time with gold prospecting and the school Admin asked me of what use is it to the students, After explaining the benefits of finding gold, the fact they were outside getting exercise and not sitting exercising just thir thumbs was told that it would not be of interest to the students.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline jackson7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 04:43:33 PM »
Surprised the school let you in at all. I think its great. Wonder what would happen within a 25 mile radius of seattle.
well done.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 05:17:40 PM »
Surprised the school let you in at all. I think its great. Wonder what would happen within a 25 mile radius of seattle.
well done.
benefit of living on east side. The school district in kittitas counties are great. The teachers encourage this stuff too. Not everyone is gonna grow up to be a plant eating crazy liberal and they recognize it. Lots of different life styles to be had out there. It was a great experience all around. Hope to do it next year again

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 05:23:27 PM »
well done.
benefit of living on east side. The school district in kittitas counties are great. The teachers encourage this stuff too. Not everyone is gonna grow up to be a plant eating crazy liberal and they recognize it. Lots of different life styles to be had out there. It was a great experience all around. Hope to do it next year again
sounds like a great time! What school does she go to?
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 06:40:00 PM »
 :tup:
Go hawks

Offline greenhead_killer

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 07:12:33 PM »
well done.
sounds like a great time! What school does she go to?
shes at valley view

Online Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 11:20:49 PM »
I've done several schools plus WSTA gets invited to two STEM Fairs. Kids love the furs and learning about animals and trapping.
Gotta say the Bozo who turned you away with prospecting doesn't know kids. Hate to have him for a teacher.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Mt.Beaver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: WSTA, NRA,
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 09:23:09 AM »
Another great chance to see kids interest in furs and trapping is at the Puyallup Fair.  Man the booth for a day and watch the kids excitement. It is a fun experience for everyone.
I am a retired teacher and still substitute some and get invited to talk trapping in science classes. My favorite are the preschool and primary classes where I can talk about beavers and show a skull or read some animals stories to them.
Keep up the good work Greenhead

Offline Jingles

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 09:54:47 AM »
I've done several schools plus WSTA gets invited to two STEM Fairs. Kids love the furs and learning about animals and trapping.
Gotta say the Bozo who turned you away with prospecting doesn't know kids. Hate to have him for a teacher.

What was a real kicker was I had taken and made up 50 bags of sand for kids to pan salted them with at least 5 pieces of gold each so all the kids would come away with some gold.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Trapper John

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 11:20:12 AM »

It is a lot of fun to bring furs into schools and talk fur trapping.
When my daughter was in school she bought in furs and talked trapping, same thing kids loved it and girls wanted fur coats.
When she was in "Girl Scouts" she did the same thing.  Her Scout leader even thought about having her teach trapping to the other girls, but they had to do the other stuff.

I have done this with several "Boy Scout" groups over the years.  Something you folks should think about doing here both Girls & Boy Scouts.

When ever you get a chance to promote trapping and WSTA do it.   :IBCOOL:
JC   :hello:

Offline Yelper Guy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 01:50:11 PM »
Years back, I took in a turkey cape from one of my spring birds into my wife's second grade class.
I told them interesting turkey facts and various aspects about hunting etc.
I also took in enough turkey feathers (wing & tail) that everyone got one to take home.
They were fascinated, and were full of questions - It was really satisfying to see & experience.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]