collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: idaho non resident tag decrease, fee increase  (Read 41959 times)

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: idaho non resident tag decrease, fee increase
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2020, 12:42:32 PM »
I haven’t heard anything about restructuring deer tags other than the fee increase and potential tag decrease. Sounds like considering picking your zone on deer like elk down the road? I agree with you on keeping hunting about the meat but we don’t have to be trophy hunters strictly looking for horns to want to have opportunity at mature bucks. Really I would just like too see the age structure go back to what it once was. I have shot deer to fill the freezer but don’t really get much out of harvesting a 2 year old buck or a doe. At some point we all reach a point where we enjoy the challenge and excitement of taking down old mature smart whitetail. That doesn’t mean we are just horn hunters looking for 5 minutes of internet fame.At the end of the day we should be grateful for any animals we harvest but we can still manage deer to provide multiple opportunities at mature deer.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2020, 10:36:11 PM »
i feel absolutely no thrill in killing the first legal buck I see and would rather eat my tag than shoot some young buck. I rather spend the days in the field till the end being out there than be done the first thing on opening day. I have progressed as a hunter from the days of taking a spike and being ecstatic to 32 years later loving the challenge of outwitting a big mature whitetail buck or what ever it may be. The experience ,time in the field and learning more about whatever animal I am targeting  is what I value

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2020, 07:28:00 AM »
 :yeah:
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2020, 07:34:33 AM »
If I had a 4.5 year old 150" buck or a 2.5 year old 90" buck standing side by side I'd shoot the one that I would rather eat and let the older one breed...

A: i dont believe you for a second that you would shoot the 90" buck over the 150" buck.
B: that 4.5 year old bucks meat is just as good as the 2.5yr old bucks meat, plus youll get more meat from the older buck.  Youre not getting better meat off that 2 year old, youre just getting less meat.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 07:48:21 AM by Bango skank »

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2020, 08:19:36 AM »
The facts are that Idaho knows they can charge more.Washington hunting,game management sucks so bad that Idaho has no problem selling NR licences and tag.That's the facts .
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2020, 08:49:39 AM »
The facts are that Idaho knows they can charge more.Washington hunting,game management sucks so bad that Idaho has no problem selling NR licences and tag.That's the facts .

Idaho has had problems selling out I'm the past..

Idaho is due for a price increase I'm sure but I just feel for the guys struggling... one option is instead of doing a blanket wide price on stuff have the different zones be priced according to the demand...that would generate alot more money and hopefully let the little guy still get a tag at least somewhere... I'd prefer this over going to a permit system and waiting x years to draw a tag..

I'm a big fan of the quota system idaho has...x animals need to go, then x tags get sold....and limiting areas to zones... for deer & elk...residents & nonresidents

Also there is room for all types of hunters...trophy hunters, meat hunters, and the guys in the middle...the only thing wrong with any of the above is when one category thinks they are better then another..we are all at different places and theres nothing wrong with that

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 09:03:32 AM by kentrek »

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2020, 08:59:44 AM »
Kentrek...damn good ideas! I like your way of thinking. Only "downfall" is then the higher priced zones would set a standard to raise the fees to for other zones as they become popular due to blue collar hunters hunting there and we know the prices will never go down once raised.

Bango...To each their own...but apparently some on here just want to bash others instead of have a discussion on what the topic was about...Idaho changes...and Bango, I am not looking for your approval and you only look like an idiot if you think I would shoot a 4.5 year old deer over a 2.5 year old deer just because of antler inches. I love being in the woods and will spend as many days afield as I can, and yes I have passed on 140-160 mule deer and even a few 170's and a near 190 (which my buddy is still talking about because I had a herd of elk on one side of the hill and that near 190 on the other side...I chose to go shoot a 3x4 raghorn instead...) just to keep hunting/afield and ended up taking a "small" buck. I admit, I have the "luxury" of hunting at least two states a year, plus my kids are killers and often fill at least one of their deer tags, sometimes an elk tag and a bear tag....so I don't need that extra 20-30 lbs of meat that you say you don't believe I would choose over the other...

With that said, I admit I ran off topic with my reply above...so, this thread to me has either run its (off) course or should go back to what it was intended...the upcoming IDFG changes to NR's.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2020, 09:10:42 AM »
Kentrek...damn good ideas! I like your way of thinking. Only "downfall" is then the higher priced zones would set a standard to raise the fees to for other zones as they become popular due to blue collar hunters hunting there and we know the prices will never go down once raised.

Yeah I really have no idea how that would play out...some areas price would drop while others would skyrocket....

But at least guys could go hunting...I hate the direction hunters as a group are going because I think there is a hunting bubble coming once the 55+ year guys stop hunting...and nobody wants to admit that is a big problem

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2020, 09:33:06 AM »
Kenetrek is on the money. Hunting is one of the very, very few commodities that most are passionate enough about that they will actually continue paying more for less. Idaho is not exempt from Washington or the majority of other states in this area. Hunting in Idaho is not improving. Increased pressure, some costly hits to ag area elk, mule deer numbers down, late hunt restrictions, more pressure from big money closing down access to historically quality hunt area. Is IDFG better than Wdfw? I believe so, but the fact is they are asking more for less. No matter how you slice the pie if it wasn't preying on hunters being a very passionate lot, any sane person would say take that  product and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Sure, the demand is up now, but the economy is the variable, and age is the constant. Middle aged hunters who are passionate about the sport and generally more secure financially than their younger counterparts will continue to pay for subpar product just for the chance. But younger Hunter groups will drop out as cash is tighter and the importance lower.  As that happens Western States will be faced with real tough decisions down the road. Hopefully they have enough forsight to see it coming.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2020, 09:37:06 AM »
The thing to remember is that each state agency is tasked with managing wildlife and opportunities for RESIDENT hunters.  NR hunters are simply a revenue source to fund their mission and keep resident prices low.  Virtually every state looks to maximize NR revenue, not opportunity, quality or any other metric.

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #175 on: February 18, 2020, 09:45:38 AM »
Kenetrek is on the money. Hunting is one of the very, very few commodities that most are passionate enough about that they will actually continue paying more for less. Idaho is not exempt from Washington or the majority of other states in this area. Hunting in Idaho is not improving. Increased pressure, some costly hits to ag area elk, mule deer numbers down, late hunt restrictions, more pressure from big money closing down access to historically quality hunt area. Is IDFG better than Wdfw? I believe so, but the fact is they are asking more for less. No matter how you slice the pie if it wasn't preying on hunters being a very passionate lot, any sane person would say take that  product and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Sure, the demand is up now, but the economy is the variable, and age is the constant. Middle aged hunters who are passionate about the sport and generally more secure financially than their younger counterparts will continue to pay for subpar product just for the chance. But younger Hunter groups will drop out as cash is tighter and the importance lower.  As that happens Western States will be faced with real tough decisions down the road. Hopefully they have enough forsight to see it coming.

Well said and great thought.
Without our younger hunters we are screwed.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2020, 09:48:51 AM »
The thing to remember is that each state agency is tasked with managing wildlife and opportunities for RESIDENT hunters.  NR hunters are simply a revenue source to fund their mission and keep resident prices low.  Virtually every state looks to maximize NR revenue, not opportunity, quality or any other metric.

Stein, I couldn't have said it better myself!  You hit the nail on the head!  Simply a business model to them and their stock holders are the residents of the state.  Not us non-residents.  We are just something they choose to endure to get the revenue they need and desire.
Zonk Volmer

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2020, 12:56:08 PM »

:yeah: I hunt other state as a non resident so I take in the shorts too! but do so willingly  :chuckle:

Offline Cheif

• Tracker
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2020, 02:48:46 PM »
Grade, we all have our reasons for hunting, I have all year to hike, enjoy nature..  when I go hunting, I go to kill, and kill the biggest animal I can, and I’ve been good at it.

Offline johnsc6

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2020, 10:28:10 AM »

Idaho management isnt much better, They just want the revenue. The quality of hunting has steadily declined over the last twenty years ive been hunting it.  The elk problems are well publicized, but the Deer hunting decline gets little attention. The deer harvest sucess rates are 60% of what they were ten years ago , but the real tell tale sign is % mature bucks being taken....I have personally witnessed the change in age class of whitetails in the southern panhandle units. Over hunting, and over harvest period.... Look at the stats, they need to do something about it. Hopefully this is a start, they should be reducing the season as well, as much as i would hate to see it. All western states charge a premium for there tags, get used to it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]