collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: idaho non resident tag decrease, fee increase  (Read 41953 times)

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: idaho non resident tag decrease, fee increase
« Reply #180 on: February 27, 2020, 01:14:07 PM »

Idaho management isnt much better, They just want the revenue. The quality of hunting has steadily declined over the last twenty years ive been hunting it.  The elk problems are well publicized, but the Deer hunting decline gets little attention. The deer harvest sucess rates are 60% of what they were ten years ago , but the real tell tale sign is % mature bucks being taken....I have personally witnessed the change in age class of whitetails in the southern panhandle units. Over hunting, and over harvest period.... Look at the stats, they need to do something about it. Hopefully this is a start, they should be reducing the season as well, as much as i would hate to see it. All western states charge a premium for there tags, get used to it.

So on one hand you are complaining that success rates aren't as good as they were in the past. And on the other hand you are arguing that in the past they overharvested?  I guess what we can gather is that those success rates weren't sustainable?
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #181 on: February 27, 2020, 09:33:53 PM »

Idaho management isnt much better, They just want the revenue. The quality of hunting has steadily declined over the last twenty years ive been hunting it.  The elk problems are well publicized, but the Deer hunting decline gets little attention. The deer harvest sucess rates are 60% of what they were ten years ago , but the real tell tale sign is % mature bucks being taken....I have personally witnessed the change in age class of whitetails in the southern panhandle units. Over hunting, and over harvest period.... Look at the stats, they need to do something about it. Hopefully this is a start, they should be reducing the season as well, as much as i would hate to see it. All western states charge a premium for there tags, get used to it.

So on one hand you are complaining that success rates aren't as good as they were in the past. And on the other hand you are arguing that in the past they overharvested?  I guess what we can gather is that those success rates weren't sustainable?

I think you misinterpreted that statement on harvest. Most important thing stated is number of mature bucks harvested is way down this is absolutely true. The current deer season is too long and needs to go back to November 1 from 10-10. A big part of the problem is the massive increase in resident hunters with everybody and their brother seeming to decide to move to Idaho. There’s obviously no limit on resident tags.Besides mature bucks going down they shouldn’t have success rates down 60 percent (I haven’t check that stat) you are right that in the past we over harvested our deer . I don’t think Idaho fish and game really had to manage our whitetail in the past with massive cover and most Idaho hunters obsessed with elk. In the past most Idaho hunters I knew hunted elk hard and didn’t care to much about deer. That’s all changed now and the fish and game needs to change too. The fee increase is a good start at least.

Offline Wazntme

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2020, 12:14:08 AM »
I live in Washington and the hunting sucks. Tell your Idaho wolves to stop eating our Washington elk and we won’t come over there and walk on your “sacred” grounds. Last I checked we are Americans and we can go where we want so deal with it. That’s like me telling you that you shouldn’t drink Starbucks or order from amazon because those are our property. I don’t care if they double the price of tags I’m going over there! And if I catch any of the jerk$@&! That leave stupid “go home” notes on my truck there’s gonna be a problem. Deal with it!

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2020, 07:31:14 AM »
I live in Washington and the hunting sucks. Tell your Idaho wolves to stop eating our Washington elk and we won’t come over there and walk on your “sacred” grounds. Last I checked we are Americans and we can go where we want so deal with it. That’s like me telling you that you shouldn’t drink Starbucks or order from amazon because those are our property. I don’t care if they double the price of tags I’m going over there! And if I catch any of the jerk$@&! That leave stupid “go home” notes on my truck there’s gonna be a problem. Deal with it!

Wtf? I could care less where hunters are from but some do piss me off with their attitude. I am guessing you would be one of those. I moved here from Montana 30 years ago  and watched them triple out of state tag prices in that time frame. and I willingly pay for out of state tags in Montana every year. It’s not a screw you washington hunter attitude it’s just too much pressure on deer herds and non resident tags that were too cheap based on any other western state. Idaho gives more opportunities to non resident hunters than any other good western state. Your response is exactly the attitude that makes Washington plates the most hated license plate in Idaho. You can keep your Starbucks and Amazon too I don’t buy overpriced coffee or use amazon much at al

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2020, 08:13:35 AM »

Wtf? I could care less where hunters are from but some do piss me off with their attitude. I am guessing you would be one of those. I moved here from Montana 30 years ago  and watched them triple out of state tag prices in that time frame. and I willingly pay for out of state tags in Montana every year. It’s not a screw you washington hunter attitude it’s just too much pressure on deer herds and non resident tags that were too cheap based on any other western state. Idaho gives more opportunities to non resident hunters than any other good western state. Your response is exactly the attitude that makes Washington plates the most hated license plate in Idaho. You can keep your Starbucks and Amazon too I don’t buy overpriced coffee or use amazon much at al

:yeah: You need to relax dude. That mentality is exactly what gives out of state hunters a bad rap. Remember, Idaho doesn't have to give you any opportunity to hunt there if they don't want to. They're responsibility is managing wildlife for Idaho residents.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2020, 08:43:32 AM »
I think the guy is just saying hes not going to be very kind to any ID residents that are on a high horse and harrass him for being a nonresident...really cant blame him..I dont like being harrassed either..

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2020, 08:44:52 AM »
Until IDFG can recognize the real problem in overcrowding

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2020, 08:53:52 AM »
Back in the day 15+ years ago we hunted the north end of 39. Always saw big bucks.
Lots of camps at the road, but not many people 5 miles in. I met my brother there last year to go back to our old spot. The farther I got from pavement the camps slowed. By the time I got back to our meet spot. There was one camp back there and they had an elk cow tag. No people at all back there. It was crazy. Talked to those guys and they saw very few deer. And people

Offline bornhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2020, 09:20:07 AM »
Any deer left in the south east. Hunted Soda Springs/ Montpelier areas 20 years ago and got a few nice mulies and one nice bull.  It was really dropping off when I quit going there.

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2020, 11:06:12 AM »
Idaho had less than a million people until the early 1990s. They are now pushing 1.7 million, and I think a good bit of that growth is from people who moved there for lifestyle reasons (e.g., hunting, fishing).  That is going to put some pressure on the resource from within; inevitable that nonresident opportunity will give way at some point.  I'm not happy about it, of course, but the tea leaves aren't hard to read. 

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2020, 12:16:55 PM »
Last 18 years ID with % of population that hunts would come out to 50k more “ resident “ hunters ! The elk and deer tag quotas have always been there for nonresident and have hovered around the same number.

Online Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2020, 12:56:39 PM »
Just an FYI
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2020, 01:57:41 PM »
Just an FYI
I thought Idaho was free from petty BS like this!  I feel more like a criminal every day, I refuse to buy discover passes, Forest passes or anything else they feel necessary to access our lands.   
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2020, 03:44:44 PM »
Until IDFG can recognize the real problem in overcrowding

They know just haven’t figured out how to deal with it. It sucks but being number 1 state in growth for a few years is changing Idaho hunting pretty fast. Will probably have to go more limited entry which just leads to more overcrowded otc units. Still good to great hunting in Idaho but it’s changing. You already mentioned that out of state tags have stayed the same but there’s no limit on all the new residents and it shows. First steps will be more limits and higher prices on non residents which is correct but they will have to deal with just a lot more residents eventually

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2020, 04:50:29 PM »
Allow Air gunning for Wolves rather than further reduce Hunter opportunity.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]