collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Torque for bases to action?  (Read 1357 times)

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Torque for bases to action?
« on: March 03, 2020, 04:05:25 AM »
What's recommended for torquing the bases to a Remington 700?
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline one shot kill

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: IBEW 77
Re: Torque for bases to action?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 05:11:00 AM »
I use Warne bases and rings and they say 25 inch pounds.

Offline jaymark6655

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 05:44:51 AM »
8-40 screws I use 18 in-lb with Loctite 272. Minimal Loctite, you don't want any to get between the action and the bases.
"That's the reason we pay $25 for a recoil lug made by a professional instead of one for $0.50 made by Micheal J Fox using a dremel!"

"Women should be treated the same as a French Rifle, dropped at the first sign of trouble."

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 07:11:49 AM »
8-40 screws I use 18 in-lb with Loctite 272. Minimal Loctite, you don't want any to get between the action and the bases.
Or in the action. On the ruger American predator 2 of the holes go all the way through to the bolt. I found out the hard way. Glued the bolt to the action. Lol. That was fun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Yondering

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 10:41:22 AM »

Depends on your goal. Personally I use green 680 Loctite between the base and action intentionally; it's a solid joint that'll never come loose until I want it to. Way too many accuracy issues and wandering zero issues are caused by loose bases and rings.

On the other hand if you're more concerned with the action finish under the bases, properly cured Loctite can be difficult to remove.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 06:11:15 PM »
I've mounted a ton of scopes and always just cranked'em down. I'm wanting this one done as right as possible some in gonna buy torque type screwdriver
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 06:23:20 PM »

Depends on your goal. Personally I use green 680 Loctite between the base and action intentionally; it's a solid joint that'll never come loose until I want it to. Way too many accuracy issues and wandering zero issues are caused by loose bases and rings.

On the other hand if you're more concerned with the action finish under the bases, properly cured Loctite can be difficult to remove.

Yep sleeve retainer green loctite under bases.   With big recoil rifles and lrg scopes its a given. 

Offline jaymark6655

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 06:49:47 PM »

Haven't tried the Green 680. With the Red 272 it is slightly brittle, usually cracks and then rifle can't hold a zero despite bases feeling tight.
"That's the reason we pay $25 for a recoil lug made by a professional instead of one for $0.50 made by Micheal J Fox using a dremel!"

"Women should be treated the same as a French Rifle, dropped at the first sign of trouble."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal