collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who is ready to draw cow permits for archery  (Read 9764 times)

Offline str8meat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
Who is ready to draw cow permits for archery
« on: February 12, 2020, 09:43:16 AM »
East side draw cows for archery? Bet the west side sees a huge growth in hunters for archery. This is the rumor buzzing around wdfw. Not sure if they really have a clue.
watch yer top knot

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Who is ready to draw cow permits for archery
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 10:09:28 AM »
I think it’s a great idea. This is a fall out from a few years ago when they gave out way to many permits.!! Hundreds and hundreds. That just hurt the cows. There must management every time they come up with something like that.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 10:23:15 AM »
Was it the over the counter bow hunters that caused the herd decline or the modern rifle slaughter permit fest. Archery hasn't been the leading cause in herd decline. So why should we make the hardest weapon to harvest even harder. " Yes I see your post agreeing with the permits slaughter". While we are at it let's shorten modern spike season to half the days afield. And get a post hunt rate recovery of bulls up and get more cows bred.

Whenever this state gets a stable population with something they make a free for all and Devistate a good thing.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:33:46 AM »
Or the big elephant in the room.......depredation permits. I'd be willing to bet more antlerless elk are killed on these than all otc and permit harvests combined....across all weapons.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 10:52:35 AM »
Or the big elephant in the room.......depredation permits. I'd be willing to bet more antlerless elk are killed on these than all otc and permit harvests combined....across all weapons.

:yeah: 100%
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 10:58:50 AM »
Was it the over the counter bow hunters that caused the herd decline or the modern rifle slaughter permit fest. Archery hasn't been the leading cause in herd decline. So why should we make the hardest weapon to harvest even harder. " Yes I see your post agreeing with the permits slaughter". While we are at it let's shorten modern spike season to half the days afield. And get a post hunt rate recovery of bulls up and get more cows bred.

Whenever this state gets a stable population with something they make a free for all and Devistate a good thing.
Regardless of who reduced the population,  the herd needs help. Unregulated killing of cows won't help.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline BreezyBear

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • RMEF Life Member
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 11:00:28 AM »
READY

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 11:09:54 AM »
I personally haven't seen anything wrong with the Yakima heard. I do see less people in the area's that hold elk though. I'm not complaining, just an observation. Maybe the stats they use to assume heard health are lacking important details.  :dunno:

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 11:12:00 AM »
Trust me I do agree the herd needs help. Just having a discussion based off of comments I hear on a daily basis about different user groups thinking they are entitled too all opportunity with no cutbacks and the other user groups are in need of major cutbacks due too herds suffering. Comments like we shouldn't see a reduction in modern permits but archery needs to quit killing all the elk. Then I look at the units that individual talks about and that unit has way more elk shot with a rifle then a bow even with bow having more generous restrictions due to difficulty of weapon. We just continue to put blame on the user group rather then the whole picture. Everyone is part of the puzzle, including habitat, weather, predators, etc. I feel the department goes all in to the most extreme for good or bad for the situation.

Also what I'm saying here isn't based off the couple post on this thread
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 11:14:24 AM »
I said this on another thread, regardless of the causes there should be no cow tags sold for anything.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 11:16:20 AM »
Example. Take away cow harvest now not 1 archery hunter shot an elk. So in future when antlerless is no longer aloud I really don't want to hear anyone to put blame toward low elk numbers on bow hunters. Get ready modern it's about to get more crowded during your season.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 11:25:18 AM »
Yet the higher weapon still gets a cow tag opportunity. Herds are in bad shape. Then why are they even giving any modern tags for cow.

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 11:29:22 AM »
Little naches 5 cows? Is there a late archery elk there? Early is bull permit only? Correct

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 11:33:48 AM »
The 2018 season success is posted and the proposed regs for this season is the next post. Both are taken from the department website.

Yes as of last year there was still a late season spike or antlerless for little natches.

Also appears they will continue antlerless hunts for archery at this time.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 11:43:59 AM by duckmen1 »

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 11:42:16 AM »
I personally haven't seen anything wrong with the Yakima heard. I do see less people in the area's that hold elk though. I'm not complaining, just an observation. Maybe the stats they use to assume heard health are lacking important details.  :dunno:
  :yeah: yakima herds are down a bit from HISTORIC ALL TIME HIGHS of a few years ago but still a VERY healthy and robust population.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand