collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting Regulations 2011-2019 show drastic decline in Quality tags  (Read 5143 times)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: Hunting Regulations 2011-2019 show drastic decline in Quality tags
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 11:04:36 AM »
We all know it, but it sucks to see it in black and white! Imagine what it was in 2000...…. :'(

For real fun check out license prices you those did not get cut by 50% or greater.
Interesting question. Here are the numbers.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Onewhohikes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 11:16:13 AM »
New to the site, been trolling for some time. Would the hunters support a decrease in the deer and elk permits more than what is currently proposed?

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2020, 11:21:31 AM »
New to the site, been trolling for some time. Would the hunters support a decrease in the deer and elk permits more than what is currently proposed?

Hunters have taken the cut again and again and again.  If we keep supporting it, it will never stop, they wont address the predator issue.  Weve given up enough, time to focus on the problem.  More predator control is needed, not less hunting opportunity.  I say we shouldnt have to give another inch until proper predator management goes along with it.

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2020, 11:25:56 AM »

Hunters have taken the cut again and again and again.  If we keep supporting it, it will never stop, they wont address the predator issue.  Weve given up enough, time to focus on the problem.  More predator control is needed, not less hunting opportunity.  I say we shouldnt have to give another inch until proper predator management goes along with it.
Absolutely right.  Its amazing that so many hunters are basically begging for the state to take away more opportunity when there are so many other options.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2020, 11:27:01 AM »
Oh crips...I agree with Bango on something for once.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 11:28:48 AM »
Oh crips...I agree with Bango on something for once.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day  :dunno:

Offline Onewhohikes

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2020, 11:32:52 AM »

So do you support an increase in permits or remain the same where a quality permit isn't really quality?

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2020, 11:34:58 AM »

So do you support an increase in permits or remain the same where a quality permit isn't really quality?

No matter how many cuts WE take, the herds will not improve until predators are dealt with properly.  So reduce opportunity all you want, but without predator management it still wont be quality, and it will continue getting worse.  Continuing to cut hunter opportunity year after year is not the answer, it wont fix things.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2020, 11:37:02 AM »
One of the real problems with hunters in general.....My :twocents: :twocents:......is the "trophy hunting."  This state continues to cut in an attempt to produce "quality" not quantity.  The hunters that are very loud and in your face are quite often "Trophy" hunters that are looking for the elusive 200" mule deer.  I drew a quality late archery tag last year and saw 150 deer a day without trying.  We saw plenty of quality bucks (not 200 inchers....but quality).  To say the tags need to be cut even more is simply crazy.  Increase opportunity with bear and cougar.  Allow dogs and bait.  Do it for 3 year and see what happens to our ungulate population.  If it works and we see and increase in numbers then continue.  If we don't see an increase then take it back to where it was.  If you want to be a trophy hunter.....get our and hunt harder because this state carries plenty of big bucks.  I think Bone's calendar proves that.   :tup:

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2020, 11:40:09 AM »
One of the real problems with hunters in general.....My :twocents: :twocents:......is the "trophy hunting."  This state continues to cut in an attempt to produce "quality" not quantity.  The hunters that are very loud and in your face are quite often "Trophy" hunters that are looking for the elusive 200" mule deer.  I drew a quality late archery tag last year and saw 150 deer a day without trying.  We saw plenty of quality bucks (not 200 inchers....but quality).  To say the tags need to be cut even more is simply crazy.  Increase opportunity with bear and cougar.  Allow dogs and bait.  Do it for 3 year and see what happens to our ungulate population.  If it works and we see and increase in numbers then continue.  If we don't see an increase then take it back to where it was.  If you want to be a trophy hunter.....get our and hunt harder because this state carries plenty of big bucks.  I think Bone's calendar proves that.   :tup:

So the trophy hunters that let lots of bucks walk are the problem huh?  Interesting take on it.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »

So the trophy hunters that let lots of bucks walk are the problem huh?  Interesting take on it.

No....the trophy hunters are typically the hunters that want further restrictions and less tags.  Some hunters have lost their way in my opinion and are simply horn hunters.  To produce bigger horns they will cut off their nose to spite their face.  I know quite a few that that petition the state / wdfw for less quality access and draw only units for mule deer because they want "quality".  These same hunters give their meat away becuase they don't like to eat it. 

I am vehemently oposed to this type of hunter and ideology that hunting has turned in to.  I too will have passed up bucks in search of a more mature animal, but I don't promote less opportunity for the masses because I have a dream of killing a boon and crocket buck. 

Offline BigCutty3

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2020, 12:00:42 PM »
It boils down to too much pressure on the resource.  Whether from predators, non-tribal seasons, tribal seasons, loss of habitat, poaching, etc.  We are living off the memories and it isn't going to get any better.  Non-tribal hunters have taken the biggest reductions in opportunity for "quality" animals, but every other factor keeps hammering away at what we give up.  You can say the same thing about Deer and Elk, as you can about Salmon, Steelhead, and shellfish.  The predator and allocation issues are very similar.  Too many people and not enough resource to go around.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2020, 12:01:26 PM »
Those of us who pass young bucks to get to mature bucks are mostly considered "trophy" hunters.  Dirty word, "trophy" where it applies to hunters, especially to the (my guess) 99% of those who cant pass anything with an antler.  In my opinion, it is the "cant pass anything" crowd that does by far the most damage.

The small percentage of true trophy hunters cant possibly have much voice unless they are within the system somewhere that gives them access to inportant ears.  I too despise those who give their meat away (because they and their family dont like it) and feel as though they shouldnt even be allowed to hunt.

Much is wrong, but I truly believe its from a management deficiency along with agendas not in line with wdfws mission statement.  They can write it without following it as they are now and have been for years.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2020, 12:07:44 PM »
Don't worry, just keep buying licenses and permits.  Trust that the state's recovery plan will work.

We can bitch all we want, but if you keep sending your money to Olympia, nothing will change.  If their revenue goes up every year the message they get is that they are doing the right thing.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2020, 12:43:13 PM »
It boils down to too much pressure on the resource.  Whether from predators, non-tribal seasons, tribal seasons, loss of habitat, poaching, etc.  We are living off the memories and it isn't going to get any better.  Non-tribal hunters have taken the biggest reductions in opportunity for "quality" animals, but every other factor keeps hammering away at what we give up.  You can say the same thing about Deer and Elk, as you can about Salmon, Steelhead, and shellfish.  The predator and allocation issues are very similar.  Too many people and not enough resource to go around.

Yeah, but the people / resource ratio would be way way better if we got our predators in check.  It would do a LOT more to improve our herds than further reduction of permits.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]

Holster for FNS 40C by bb76
[Today at 06:37:56 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by Ridgeratt
[Today at 06:34:07 PM]