collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: No curiosity?!  (Read 4344 times)

Offline wags

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: No curiosity?!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 10:23:33 PM »
I think it is interesting how different trappers can have different experiences than other trappers.
I heard it said once that if you move a hundred miles you have to learn how to trap all over again. There is a lot of truth to that statement I think.

For example, the standard answer as to what is the best marten bait will always result in "beaver": that is what I always said and believed. However, when I started trapping in SE Alaska I learned that duck or grouse works MUCH better there than beaver.

There is one particular island in SE Alaska where both Mike M and I have determined that marten have very little interest in ANY bait; and marten are considered everywhere to be one of the easiest animals there is to bait.

There is always something to learn (or unlearn) in this trade.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 08:33:51 AM »

I would suggest removing the camera.
  Most Cat’s won’t stick around long having their picture taken. Do you have cameras on the sets that have produced?

Ive never had bobs or lions react negatively to a camera.  Even with 2 cams side by side, with one snapping pics and another recording video, they never seem to notice.  Maybe just having the cams 6ft up helps with that.  Not a valid vimeo URL

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 08:40:02 AM »

I would suggest removing the camera.
  Most Cat’s won’t stick around long having their picture taken. Do you have cameras on the sets that have produced?

Ive never had bobs or lions react negatively to a camera.  Even with 2 cams side by side, with one snapping pics and another recording video, they never seem to notice.  Maybe just having the cams 6ft up helps with that.  Not a valid vimeo URL

This is one of the very few cams i ever put right down at ground level.  Set it up watching the bones and scraps from my lion.  This cat came in 2 days in a row and wasnt concerned even with the cam a foot off the ground.

Offline JimmieD

• Tracker
  • Matt 10:32-33
    • Kingdom Come Furs n Buckskin
  • Groups: NTA, WSTA, ITA, NMLRA, WSMA, Intermountain Fur Harvesters
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 08:40:27 PM »
To go through a few of the comments,nope, don't pre-bait, have started using urine with glands for a lead-in scent due to breeding time of year, some beaver meat inside with a bit of bobcat gland lure inside for some curiosity.  Wind is not a factor as the location is centralized between a few trails and it swirls, I make a set here every other year and it produces 1 to 2 cats like clockwork....except the clock seems to be broken so far this year.  Cameras are at a few of the other locations that are producing, ditto on the comments, never really had an incident where the cat was leary of a cameras no matter at what height it was placed. 

Back to the set, freshened up the bird feathers, added a little skunk long call, usually use Gusto mixed in Vaseline (as my daughter calls it "Dis-gusto") but for this cat I went and changed up and tried some Hellfire for the long call and used Weisers Bad Company for first time with a fresh hunk of beaver rear leg.....completely changed my sets set-up lures for this set except location and my 2nd largest trap from Mercer.  Anyways, surprisingly I did draw in a curious cat....just not the exact type of kitty I was looking for!   :chuckle:
"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"~Mark 8:36 (KJV)

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 10:04:13 PM »
Well, I was talking about how few cats there around here and lo and behold I caught this big Tom. I had four baits taken today, one for sure by a cougar but two for sure by bobcats so we shall see if they come back soon.  Fourth one I can't make up my mind cougar or bobcat.
Traps set so  we shall see.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2020, 10:41:19 PM »
Dang big kitty’s likes the new offerings!
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline JimmieD

• Tracker
  • Matt 10:32-33
    • Kingdom Come Furs n Buckskin
  • Groups: NTA, WSTA, ITA, NMLRA, WSMA, Intermountain Fur Harvesters
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2020, 11:57:53 PM »
Hes a beut Bruce!  Good luck at the other sets hope you get em!
"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"~Mark 8:36 (KJV)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]