collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW Commision considers ban on hunting competitions  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
WDFW Commision considers ban on hunting competitions
« on: February 17, 2020, 01:53:20 PM »
How many of you think they can come up with a solution that doesnt give  DOW and HSUS  more opportunity to hurt hunting and trapping?

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/feb/16/washington-fish-and-wildlife-commission-considers-/?fbclid=IwAR3Fy6ojqNlu-FrMn4QhQ7rB6zhoc_wGmYlCZGPZ5QjKdikeDiEKdQ6c3_4

While competitions may not have a long-term impact on coyote populations, Matt Mimnaugh, a board member of the Inland Northwest Wildlife Council and the chairman of the big game committee, said coyote derbies can buy struggling species time.

“Out at the Swanson Lakes area there is a population of state-endangered sage grouse,” he said. “That area is overrun with … coyotes and the state can’t even begin to get rid of them.”

A coyote killing contest would be one way to temporarily relieve the predation pressure, he said. Mimnaugh understands why some oppose the contests, but he urges them to divorce emotions from the decision.

“It’s a social thing and an emotional thing,” he said. “People who are coming at it from that view need to realize that you should never make wildlife management decisions based on emotion.”

At the February commission meeting, representatives from the Center for Biological Diversity, the Humane Society of the United States and California-based Project Coyote lobbied commissioners to ban the contests.

“We’re just excited that the commission is deciding to take this step,” said Sophia Ressler, a staff attorney for the Center for Biological Diversity. “We hope the final rule bans these numerical killing contests, because they’re outdated.”
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 04:37:11 PM by Special T »
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
Re: WDFW Commision considers ban on huntign competitions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 02:09:46 PM »
The infighting and apathy among sportsmen over the hound hunting and baiting issues cracked the door for the "social component" to be a factor in WDFW policy making.  Now you have CBD and their ilk further chewing away at the edges of what used to be normal and accepted practice with the "social component" tactic. 

If there is no documented resource or biological component to a policy, then it's fair game now for being weighed against how people (mostly non-hunters) simply feel about it.

Stop the infighting over existing tactics/techniques/privelidges and support your fellow sportsmen to maintain everybody's traditions.

:twocents:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 02:43:02 PM »
The infighting and apathy among sportsmen over the hound hunting and baiting issues cracked the door for the "social component" to be a factor in WDFW policy making.  Now you have CBD and their ilk further chewing away at the edges of what used to be normal and accepted practice with the "social component" tactic. 

If there is no documented resource or biological component to a policy, then it's fair game now for being weighed against how people (mostly non-hunters) simply feel about it.

Stop the infighting over existing tactics/techniques/privelidges and support your fellow sportsmen to maintain everybody's traditions.

:twocents:

Heck, I quite often see hunters on this site castigating other hunters for shooting does and spikes.  That is mostly emotional too.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 03:36:55 PM »
What, and you dont think the reason some of us are against the killing of spikes and does isnt related to current herd conditions where we are witnessing said condition on a daily basis ???

Get real, spikes and does are a non-issue when the herds are healthy.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 03:56:33 PM »
Need to create an organization similar to "foundation for wildlife management" in Washington that reimburses hunters varying amounts for various predators. 

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Re: WDFW Commision considers ban on hunting competitions
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 08:24:34 PM »
I don't agree with ether side of the coin.Coyotes have over run this state instead of a derby or competition there needs to be bounty on them.

The inland wildlife counsel is wrong and a lot of other people as well Baseing wildlife regulations on science without a common sense approach is why are deer herds are on decline all over the state.The numbers are whack to generate more money and tags , everything from deer counts to fawn survival rates -crap science.

Social desire is a term the WDFW and others that believe in there crap science say when you try to tell them they suck and there numbers don't make any sense at all.Its excuse to not change regulations.

But WDFW has made it so hard the past few years to have coyote derby and competition with prizes ,that we all should of seen this one coming.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline wags

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 11:16:29 PM »
Just say no to funding WDFW. I have; feels really good.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 07:39:07 PM »
Does anyone actually care about the prizes? I'm asking that seriously.

I've never entered one but it seems to me that the whole thing is really just a social event and excuse to take the coyote population down a notch.

I don't see how you could ban it if you took away the prizes.

Offline ne kid

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 07:51:00 PM »
 :( Does this mean no wolf derby?

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 08:55:25 PM »
Do you know how many of these events are approved each year? Not many...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Confucius

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 11:00:40 AM »
I'm gonna host a contest next weekend.

Winner gets a free coyote.

Offline birdshooter1189

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 11:21:21 AM »

I've never entered one but it seems to me that the whole thing is really just a social event and excuse to take the coyote population down a notch.

Maybe we should start a thread titled "Coyote Non-Madness".  It won't be a contest, just a thread where hunters can share their successes for the season.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 11:34:35 AM »

Maybe we should start a thread titled "Coyote Non-Madness".  It won't be a contest, just a thread where hunters can share their successes for the season.

:chuckle:

I dont have any hard numbers but im pretty sure there are less than a half dozen in the state each year. As cool as the coyote madness is It barely qualifies despite the need for a permit.

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter