collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2020-21 Hunting Season Comments to WDFW  (Read 10372 times)

Offline bbarnes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • Mt Saint Helens Rescue .com
Re: 2020-21 Hunting Season Comments to WDFW
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2020, 06:02:34 PM »
Multi permits don't sell out reduce the number of hunting day wildlife is over hunted.Bring back the dogs thin out the preditors for the next 3 years.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2020, 06:08:55 PM »
Multi permits don't sell out reduce the number of hunting day wildlife is over hunted.Bring back the dogs thin out the preditors for the next 3 years.

It would take A hell of a lot longer than 3 years to fix the problem, and wdfw cant just reinstate hound hunting, its state law not wdfw policy.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2020, 06:11:32 PM »
Whats wrong with it is that everybody that strikes out on mule deer comes over here to do the any buck whitetail rifle hunt because killing a yearling whitetail with a rifle during the rut is like shooting fish in a barrel.  Its everybodys backup plan, and it puts too much pressure on the resource that is not doing well.  Choosing a species would go a long way to fixing that.

I think the problem is that the 100s are too generous in modern and especially late.

It doesn't make sense as to how they manage those units. They lock out muzzleloaders but allow any buck for modern.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2020, 06:15:50 PM »
Whats wrong with it is that everybody that strikes out on mule deer comes over here to do the any buck whitetail rifle hunt because killing a yearling whitetail with a rifle during the rut is like shooting fish in a barrel.  Its everybodys backup plan, and it puts too much pressure on the resource that is not doing well.  Choosing a species would go a long way to fixing that.

I think the problem is that the 100s are too generous in modern and especially late.

It doesn't make sense as to how they manage those units. They lock out muzzleloaders but allow any buck for modern.

I agree with you.  If i had my way it would be pick a species for deer, drastic reduction in multi permits, and 4pt min whitetail.

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2020, 06:19:04 PM »
Make the whole state 3 point or better one week early one week late all user groups season over.

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2020, 06:20:31 PM »
Special permits apply to either your early or late season pick one or the other.

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2020, 06:24:09 PM »
One week in between each season no season for a user group that starts the day after another ends.Also every season starts on a Wednesday give the wildlife a chance .

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2020, 06:26:51 PM »
I agree with you.  If i had my way it would be pick a species for deer, drastic reduction in multi permits, and 4pt min whitetail.

I think proposing 3 pt or antlerless for the early 100s makes a lot of sense. I don't think they would go for 4 pt. Definitely with you that yearlings shouldn't be shot for meat.

The really weird thing is that muzzleloaders get packed into 113 for late. And that's after modern has gone in for "any buck" kill fest. I'd really like someone at WDFW to explain this.

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2020, 06:32:58 PM »
Where's 113 ? WDFW wants your money they have no clue what wildlife or sex each unit holds no game checks no info .

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2020, 06:35:57 PM »

I think proposing 3 pt or antlerless for the early 100s makes a lot of sense. I don't think they would go for 4 pt. Definitely with you that yearlings shouldn't be shot for meat.

The really weird thing is that muzzleloaders get packed into 113 for late. And that's after modern has gone in for "any buck" kill fest. I'd really like someone at WDFW to explain this.

While i dont like the any buck, i dont really see the late muzzy hunt in 113 as an issue.  Its a small user group, the season is shorter than the late archery seasons in other ne units, and 113 is such a long drive that i bet it discourages a lot of people from going.  113 is the "muzzleloaders unit" and 101 is the "archers unit."  Muzzy hunters dont have much going on other than that one short hunt, and reducing all the multi tags would likely make that one less pressured.  What i really dont understand is, every ne unit has a late hunt after late modern, archery or muzzy, except 111.  Nothing after late modern in 111.  Why doesnt it have a late archery season when 101, 105, 108, 121, and 117 do?  Not having any desire to hunt modern, i wont even waste my time hunting or scouting 111 since theres no late bow season.  I just dont get why there isnt.

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2020, 06:43:18 PM »
Modern an muzzleloader aren't much different as far as equipment just no optics.ive hunted them all and had success.There should be very limited cow ,doe tags given in my opion and certainly no any buck tags except disabled or first year youth tags.If you want to meat hunt buy cattle.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2020, 06:44:42 PM »
Modern an muzzleloader aren't much different as far as equipment just no optics.ive hunted them all and had success.There should be very limited cow ,doe tags given in my opion and certainly no any buck tags except disabled or first year youth tags.If you want to meat hunt buy cattle.

Theres already no antlerless for whitetsil in northeast.  And guys cant shoot muzzys 700 yards, its a pretty big difference from mf

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2020, 07:16:17 PM »

We are talking whitetails here and out of the 8-10 bucks I have around each year there is usually just 1 that you could call a 3 point.  Depending on when the deer are born HERE that I watch, they are usually small 4pts at 18 months (june born) and july to august born will be an even mix of spikes and forks.  NO 3 pts, hardly ever.  4pt rule just like before and were good to go.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2020, 07:37:52 PM »
We are talking whitetails here and out of the 8-10 bucks I have around each year there is usually just 1 that you could call a 3 point.  Depending on when the deer are born HERE that I watch, they are usually small 4pts at 18 months (june born) and july to august born will be an even mix of spikes and forks.  NO 3 pts, hardly ever.  4pt rule just like before and were good to go.

I get that but as a proposal to the state I think 3 makes more sense unless you got them to change all 3 pt areas to 4.

It's mostly a perception issue.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2020, 07:41:14 PM »

I get that but as a proposal to the state I think 3 makes more sense unless you got them to change all 3 pt areas to 4.

It's mostly a perception issue.

I want the 4pt, but a 3pt min would still be better than any buck.  Not a lot better, but still.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]