collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2020-21 Hunting Season Comments to WDFW  (Read 10373 times)

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: 2020-21 Hunting Season Comments to WDFW
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2020, 07:52:01 PM »
While i dont like the any buck, i dont really see the late muzzy hunt in 113 as an issue.  Its a small user group, the season is shorter than the late archery seasons in other ne units, and 113 is such a long drive that i bet it discourages a lot of people from going.  113 is the "muzzleloaders unit" and 101 is the "archers unit." 

The issue is that early muzzle is short and their late follows modern but only in one unit that isn't exclusive to them. Modern has too much of an advantage in that area. If I did muzzle exclusively in the 100s I would buy a modern tag. That's how unbalanced it is.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2020, 07:55:20 PM »
People will argue about aprs, but i think we can all agree that our deer are too pressured.  So its crazy to have so many multi season permits that theyre essentially otc.  They need to be cut WAY back.  Its just a giant money grab that takes no account of the additional pressure it causes. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 08:02:31 PM by Bango skank »

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2020, 07:58:13 PM »
While i dont like the any buck, i dont really see the late muzzy hunt in 113 as an issue.  Its a small user group, the season is shorter than the late archery seasons in other ne units, and 113 is such a long drive that i bet it discourages a lot of people from going.  113 is the "muzzleloaders unit" and 101 is the "archers unit." 

The issue is that early muzzle is short and their late follows modern but only in one unit that isn't exclusive to them. Modern has too much of an advantage in that area. If I did muzzle exclusively in the 100s I would buy a modern tag. That's how unbalanced it is.

If they had late muzz in more units theyd need to take away late arch hunts, and the fact is archery is a bigger user group than muzzy.  But since 111 is the only ne unit without late arch or muzzy, why dont they give 111 a late muzzy like 113?  It wouldnt cut into any pre existing seasons and it would spread muzzy pressure between 2 good units instead of packing it all into 1.  Seems like a reasonable idea to me.

Offline hunter399

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2020, 08:08:08 PM »
Giving more user groups more seasons is good .But at the end of the day it's modern that's killing NE WASHINGTON.I say that cause I'm a modern firearm Hunter.They won't admit that the 4pt min help deer populations here even though the two years it ended where record harvest for these units.Everyone I have talked to at WDFW is just one excuse after another.Reason after Reason not to bring it back
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2020, 08:08:42 PM »
Modern an muzzleloader aren't much different as far as equipment just no optics.ive hunted them all and had success.There should be very limited cow ,doe tags given in my opion and certainly no any buck tags except disabled or first year youth tags.If you want to meat hunt buy cattle.

Optics are huge advantage. Not just for range but being able to see a deer in the thicket. Scopes also give you more hunting time in low light.

Sabots also drop from the sky a lot faster. Even if you had a scope on one a $250 Savage 308 will easily outrange it.

Muzzleloaders can also go click. Technically so can rifles but it is rare with quality ammo and you can quickly cycle a new round.

People make shots all the time in Eastern Wa that they could never do with a muzzleloader. Nothing wrong with that but muzzleloader should get better access because of the disadvantage. In thick Westside though it can make less of a difference.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2020, 08:21:12 PM »
If they had late muzz in more units theyd need to take away late arch hunts, and the fact is archery is a bigger user group than muzzy.  But since 111 is the only ne unit without late arch or muzzy, why dont they give 111 a late muzzy like 113?  It wouldnt cut into any pre existing seasons and it would spread muzzy pressure between 2 good units instead of packing it all into 1.  Seems like a reasonable idea to me.

I'd be fine with them keeping muzzle to 113 if they didn't let modern run through it.

I think they should also overlap a late archery unit.

But what you were saying about any buck is probably the best solution.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2020, 08:27:19 PM »

I'd be fine with them keeping muzzle to 113 if they didn't let modern run through it.

Taking away late modern in 113 and extending the late muzzy a bit would make it like the muzzy version of 101, which has no late mf, but an extended late archery.  Not necessarily a bad idea.  I see no reason for late muzzy to overlap late archery though, especially with that time slot being wide open in 111.  Seems like it should be no big deal to set 111 up the way 113 is currently set.  113s totsl harvest, all weapons, is a fraction of just the mf harvest in 121 or 113.  I really dont think the nov 25- dec 8th late muzzy in 113 is a problem, even with a late mf season. Are muzzleloaders a bit more effective than bows?  Yeah, but the muzzy season there is shorter than the late archery seasons in other units to compensate for that.  No reason they cant have both late mf and late muzzy, especially if they got rid of multi season permits that are basically otc, and the "any buck" rule.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 08:35:44 PM by Bango skank »

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2020, 08:38:44 PM »
Taking away late modern in 113 and extending the late muzzy a bit would make it like the muzzy version of 101, which has no late mf, but an extended late archery.  Not necessarily a bad idea.  I see no reason for late muzzy to overlap late archery though, especially with that time slot being wide open in 111.  Seems like it should be no big deal to set 111 up the way 113 is currently set.

I was suggesting letting muzzleloader overlap in a gmu with archery so they get access to more than one unit. Take away an any buck unit from archery and make it a 3 pt min or antlerless for both groups.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2020, 08:40:58 PM »
Taking away late modern in 113 and extending the late muzzy a bit would make it like the muzzy version of 101, which has no late mf, but an extended late archery.  Not necessarily a bad idea.  I see no reason for late muzzy to overlap late archery though, especially with that time slot being wide open in 111.  Seems like it should be no big deal to set 111 up the way 113 is currently set.

I was suggesting letting muzzleloader overlap in a gmu with archery so they get access to more than one unit. Take away an any buck unit from archery and make it a 3 pt min or antlerless for both groups.

Why would muzzy need to overlap archery to give muzzy access to more than one unit?  As i pointed out, 111 has neither late archery nor muzzleloader, that time slot is open.  So seems like a no brainer to me, add late muzzy to 111 and there ya go, another unit for late muzzy without it overlapping any late archery.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2020, 08:41:23 PM »

Taking away late modern in 113 and extending the late muzzy a bit would make it like the muzzy version of 101, which has no late mf, but an extended late archery.  Not necessarily a bad idea.  I see no reason for late muzzy to overlap late archery though, especially with that time slot being wide open in 111.  Seems like it should be no big deal to set 111 up the way 113 is currently set.  113s totsl harvest, all weapons, is a fraction of just the mf harvest in 121 or 113.  I really dont think the nov 25- dec 8th late muzzy in 113 is a problem, even with a late mf season. Are muzzleloaders a bit more effective than bows?  Yeah, but the muzzy season there is shorter than the late archery seasons in other units to compensate for that.  No reason they cant have both late mf and late muzzy, especially if they got rid of multi season permits that are basically otc, and the "any buck" rule.

In till other changes are made I couldn't get on board .
Basicly you take away multiseason tags, then I don't have a problem extending muzzy or archery oppertunity but till then I say no way.Along with APR for modern firearm.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2020, 08:43:11 PM »

Absolutely not.  We just got rid of ALL antlerless whitetail harvest in the NE last year, even special permit, youth, disabled and senior, and for good reason.  I dont know how much time you spend here, but we absolutely shouldnt have any antlerless whatsoever.

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2020, 09:07:49 PM »
I truelly love It if you had to pick a gmu for deer or elk and when those tags are gone sorry for your luck , and as much as I love the deer  multi season I think they should have way less tags,  and I totally agree with bango on the pick  a species of deer

That would ruin it for those of us that hunt both east and west.

I would rather see weapons restrictions in areas that are over-hunted.

But the main problem is that the WDFW doesn't spend enough time improving habitat.

I've only seen a few areas where they actually planted protein sources.

There are also too many areas that are inaccessible due to overgrowth which encourages hunters to congregate around the same entrances.

The state has plenty of public land, it just isn't managed for much other than logging.

I hunt east and west and that was my point  think its time for change

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2020, 10:34:39 PM »
there needs to be a complete overhaul on the management and the way tags are given out and hunt areas regulated for hunters and big game numbers. This state is so far behind the ball  its always to late when they finally do something that a lot of us hunters are seeing and screaming to fix.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2020, 10:54:08 PM »
Absolutely not.  We just got rid of ALL antlerless whitetail harvest in the NE last year, even special permit, youth, disabled and senior, and for good reason.  I dont know how much time you spend here, but we absolutely shouldnt have any antlerless whatsoever.

Well I guess we disagree here.

I just don't buy that antlerless is a problem when it is left to archery and muzzleloader.

I still haven't met a west sider that runs over there to kill a doe during archery.

I'd bet that more does are taken through special tags in that area. Haven't looked into it in a while but I remember that 124 had quite a few doe tags for modern.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2020, 10:58:41 PM »
the deer herds in NE WA are a fraction of what they were. The ag areas in some areas do have quite a few does, the problem is the public land where alot of it is in the mountains away from ag and that is where the deer numbers have been wiped out

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]