collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New limits on bass, walleye, channel catfish in effect for select lakes & rivers  (Read 3106 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

February 18, 2020
Public Affairs contact: Ben Anderson, 360-902-0045

New limits on bass, walleye, and channel catfish now in effect for select lakes, rivers throughout Washington

Corrects information about allowable size limits for largemouth bass.

OLYMPIA – As of Monday, Feb. 17, anglers on 77 lakes, as well as rivers, streams, and beaver ponds across Washington are allowed to keep more bass, walleye, and channel catfish as part of their daily limit under new permanent rules approved by the Fish and Wildlife Commission late last year.
The rules, approved at the Commission's December meeting in Bellingham, were the result of legislation passed in 2019 by the Washington State Legislature, and intended to help aid the endangered Southern Resident Killer Whale population by reducing the risk of predation on salmon smolts by these warmwater species.

"These measures were implemented in part to help meet the recommendations of the governor's Southern Resident Orca Task Force, and we presented commissioners with a range of options to choose from," said Steve Caromile, inland fish program manager with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW). "We believe we landed on a set of rules that address those recommendations, while still allowing for robust fishing opportunities for these popular species."

The following changes to size and daily limits went into effect Monday in 77 lakes around the state:

•   Largemouth bass: Change from 5 to a 10-fish daily limit; anglers must release fish between 12 and 17 inches, and only one fish may be over 17 inches.
•   Smallmouth bass: Change from 10 to a 15-fish daily limit; only one fish may be over 14 inches.
•   Channel catfish: Change from 5 to a 10-fish daily limit. No minimum size.
•   Walleye: Change from 8 to a 16-fish daily limit; only one fish may be over 22 inches.
Additionally, all size restrictions and daily limits for these species are lifted in rivers, streams, and beaver ponds statewide. You can find a list of all affected lakes online at https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2020-02/2shb1579-lake-list.pdf

Several other freshwater rule changes also went into effect Monday, including:

•   Restoring a year-round fishing season on the portion of the Colville River that extends from the mouth upstream to the bridge at the town of Valley.
•   Implementing a permanent fishing closure in the upper Green (Duwamish) River in the Tacoma Municipal Watershed from the Tacoma Municipal Watershed Boundary Marker (approximately 1.3 miles downstream of the Tacoma Headworks Dam) to the Friday Creek confluence.
•   Removing eastern brook trout from the trout daily limit in Patterson Lake (Okanogan County), removing the daily limit of lake trout in Lake Chelan, and removing trout and cutthroat special size restrictions on Black Lake (Thurston County).
•   As is the case with trout, kokanee caught with bait will count toward the daily limit whether kept or released.

For more information on all of these rules, view the rule filings at WDFW's rule-making webpage at https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations/2020#19-13-052.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
It's interesting that in 2018 WDFW released their new model of simplifying fishing regulations and making the reg book smaller. Then the bill that directed WDFW to enact this new rule passed the legislature in 2019 and as a result we will now see the largest/thickest fishing reg book WA has ever seen. Why? Because many of those 77 lakes previously fell under the statewide regs and didn't have specific seasons so they weren't listed, now those lakes have specific seasons, thus they have to be listed name-by-name.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
WDFW....increasing bag limits on warm water species in LAKES....to save SALMON...to save ORCAS...hats off folks...hats off.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
Appears Moses, Banks & Potholes limits will not be affected? Glad of that.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
these increase in limits are directed at lakes that salmon pass through for spawning, or that fry come out into.
so yes, moses, banks, and potholes are not on the list.
lake wa, samammish, union, etc have high levels of predatory warm water species eating salmon fry which are pushed out of rivers early due to reduced habitat.

WDFW could offer everyone free licenses and there'd still be some people who complained and expressed their hatred.

Is this a perfect idea? no.  nothing in this world ever is.

in my opinion in many of the lakes not much will change, how many people are keeping 5 large mouth or 10 smallmouth a day as it is?  most of those fish are catch and release.

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
My old timer neighbor who used to fish for walleye below Ice harbor dam on the Snake R. said he was talking to one of his old fishing buddies who still gets out often. That guy said the fishing below Ice Harbor for walleye is terrible because the limits were lifted.

For what its worth.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
Appears Moses, Banks & Potholes limits will not be affected? Glad of that.

I went thru the list of lakes also.  I think almost all of the listed lakes do not hold walleye.  Westside bass waters took a big hit.

Offline Southpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
these increase in limits are directed at lakes that salmon pass through for spawning, or that fry come out into.
so yes, moses, banks, and potholes are not on the list.
lake wa, samammish, union, etc have high levels of predatory warm water species eating salmon fry which are pushed out of rivers early due to reduced habitat.

WDFW could offer everyone free licenses and there'd still be some people who complained and expressed their hatred.

Is this a perfect idea? no.  nothing in this world ever is.

in my opinion in many of the lakes not much will change, how many people are keeping 5 large mouth or 10 smallmouth a day as it is? most of those fish are catch and release.

Non u.s. type people...
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
That's kind of a *censored*ty statement.

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Eagle Scout
Sammamish has been getting gillnetted for a few years by the muckleshoot tribe with the states approval, to remove walleye, suckers and bass.  I'm shocked that such an operation can happen so quietly without public input, but with a .07 percent survival rate on planted Chinook smolts and a dying kokanee population, I guess they had to do something and maybe the tribes are able to act more immediately with less bureaucracy. 

I remember when lake Washington/Sammamish salmon runs were epic.  Warm productive bass lakes will exist in the future. Clean/healthy salmon spawning lakes... not so much. 

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/lake-sammamish-gillnetting-raises-questions/

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
We've found nets in smallmouth spawning sloughs on the Columbia the last couple years.

Offline Southpole

• Frontiersman
Is that for me? Is foreigners that don't speak english a better term? I've seen on many occasions where a big family of Russian/Ukrainian/east European folks keep bass.

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Is that for me? Is foreigners that don't speak english a better term? I've seen on many occasions where a big family of Russian/Ukrainian/east European folks keep bass.
eh...i said how many people. not what type of people. so you took it there.

Offline Southpole

• Frontiersman
eh...i said how many people. not what type of people. so you took it there.
Oh, my comprehension skills are off, carry on  :(

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
In all lakes and rivers used by salmon it should be mandatory catch and keep for bass and walleye.  Invasive species (wolves of the water) :twocents:
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10