collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Getting a Pup!  (Read 7392 times)

Offline Pete112288

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Getting a Pup!
« on: February 19, 2020, 11:13:39 PM »
I had something dropped on me today that I am so excited about and also a little nervous about.
Some of you may have seen a post I did back in November, I had a close call while duck hunting and since then have been very explicitly told by family and friends that I need to start having some kind of hunting partner, human or dog.
Then my mother talked to me today and asked if I was interested in a lab pup. Of course! My wife and I really want another dog and would prefer to start with a pup. However it is one of those things that keeps getting put off due to money and feeling as though we dont have the time. We were thinking of maybe next year.
Then this conversation with my mom. A coworker that she is close with has a female yellow that is papered and has documented bloodlines. They plan to breed her some time early this summer. The stud is a black and also papered with documented bloodlines. The kind of dog I never would expect to be able to afford. This would be her first litter and they dont plan on having the pups papered, they want to see how things go and do that the next litter down the road.
Well after my mom sharing the story of my close call with her coworker, she had thought it through over the last couple months and discussed it with her husband. They want to GIVE me a pup. I was and still am pretty speechless. I just dont know what to say.
On top of that, I dont want to screw up the opportunity. I want to be able to give the pup the training and time that it deserves and have it as a close hunting companion for years. I would love to start with a professional training program but doubt I will be able to afford that. I have already received some advice and been told of a couple reputable books to read to prepare. Water Dog being one of them. The task right now seems pretty intimidating, but I am determined.
I still dont know if I can believe this.
I hope I can do my part well enough. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: Getting a Pup!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 06:08:50 AM »
I am not a lab or training expert so take this advice with a grain of salt. First off papers are just paperwork & more for breeding & competition imo. I have a papered chocolate lab & one that’s not. My 7 month old that’s not is every bit as handsome,smart & noble companion. The retriever part is yet to be seen. In my experience around labs is either they are born with the love & desire to hunt or they are not. Maybe thousands of dollars of professional training can change that but you said that’s not in the desired budget. So my advice is to take the dog if you want one & have the time & patience for the puppy stage and enjoy the love you will receive from it no matter what your doing. Don’t put so much pressure on the dog being a certain thing because they are like people & all have different abilities & passions but every lab will be loyal & loving. No matter how bad a day I’ve had they are always at the door to greet me & just want to be with me. That right there is priceless & the retrieval training will just be a bonus imo. I say accept the pup if your ready for the trials & tribulations of a puppy & enjoy your best friend for the next 10+ years! :tup:

Offline Born2late

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 07:15:06 AM »
Pm me your address and i'll mail you my copy of water dog to have. I'm done with it and if that is something that will help you with your pup It's yours.

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »
I think that you will be happier training this dog yourself. Even if you sent the dog off to get pro training you still have to back that up with remedial training and lots of hunting.

1. Bond with your pup, I mean really bond with your pup. No real training for a while. You can plant some seeds with sit and come here coaxing and praise but no training sessions.
2. Ignore your pup for a week prior to training.
3. Begin to train your pup, meaning dedicated training sessions twice a day with lots of love. Ignoring your pup prior to this will make your dog love training with you, love pleasing you and give the dog a sense of purpose. If the pup is not into it you may have started too early.
4. Recall is 100%, sit/stay is 100%, place is 100%, fetch command is 100% (lots of you tube videos to help with all these). Then you can start to train your dog on hunting scenarios. Force fetch, hand signals, blind retrieves, or the other option is to take your dog and your wife and whoever wants to go with you a lot.... I mean a lot. It is surprising how much a dog will just learn on their own.
5. If you find yourself yearning for more join a retriever club and train with them. I would suggest you do this in the offseason no matter what. Its a cheap way to keep working with your dog and giving your dog a sense of purpose and that is what labs are bread for.

Above all have a blast and congratulations!
Oh yea puppy pics are required on this site.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 01:17:21 PM »
That is outstanding news!  Lot of great info already shared.  Bond with the pup as early as you can.  Labs are incredible that way, and starting young you will develop and incredible bond.

I would recommend start off as early as you can with the obedience basics and building that foundation, like mentioned not long hard training sessions, just part of every day life.  Training with meals works very well, as most pups are food oriented.  The better you can get them their foundational skills and obedience the better.  Easy while they are smaller, slower and less energy.  Once they hit 4mos and full stride it gets tough!  They are also sponges when young, and will not know there is even a different way they can act, it is just part of who they are.

My recommendation from my limited personal experience.  See if you can get a Female.  I have found them easier to teach and work with, and given this is your 1st, every thing you can do to simplify is helps.  There is just much less tendancy to have to worry about dominance/alpha dog issues with a female.  Plenty of awesome males out there, but the ones I have been around tend to push boundaries a bit and can take a more conscious maintenance of who is boss.

Ontop of book above there are a number of good trainers sharing info on youtube.  I have particularly liked this kennel and their series.  The nice thing is that they have done the same series with multiple dogs and breeds starting right when they are puppies, so you can see how they adapt the training to fit the dog.  They also are not doing weekly viewer asked question series that has been pretty good.  Their system seems to work pretty good and I have used it on a recent older pup I have been working with, even he took to it quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/user/StandingStoneKennels

Offline aman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 03:03:22 PM »
The initial cost of the pup is very insignificant over the lifetime (~13-14 years) of the dog. Don't make the decision of getting a dog because someone is offering you a free pup. If you want a pup then I would do some research and find the right pup with proper health clearances and breeding for your lifestyle.

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 10:17:31 PM »
Pm me your address and i'll mail you my copy of water dog to have. I'm done with it and if that is something that will help you with your pup It's yours.

I appreciate it man, thanks! Your inbox is full though.

Thanks for the tips everyone, as it progresses through the year I will update and will for sure put up some puppy pics when it comes time!

Offline Born2late

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 10:25:39 PM »

I appreciate it man, thanks! Your inbox is full though.

Thanks for the tips everyone, as it progresses through the year I will update and will for sure put up some puppy pics when it comes time!
Made room now

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 08:16:58 AM »
They are here. 1 solid black, the rest black with white chest crest. 5 girls 4 boys. Parents were a yellow and a "silver".
Super excited!!!!!!
The odds are in my favor that I will get a female like I wanted!!!!
Thinking of Daisy for a name....

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 11:33:55 AM »
enjoy the journey and take lots of pictures, they grow up so fast!
my dog is also not papered, but shes the best dog i've ever owned.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 12:20:57 PM »
That they do!  I have had ours just shy of 3 mos.  She has gone from fluffball to dog in half that time.  8 weeks old, 1st day home

20weeks old, now over 30#

LANDSHARK!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 12:27:06 PM by lamrith »

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 09:23:45 PM »

Your dog is papered just not registered  :tup:
But they are great pets, friends and family members! They do change so quickly too.

To the OP, enjoy every bit that pup has to offer, the good  the frustrating and the amazing memories!

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 10:19:49 AM »

But they are great pets, friends and family members! They do change so quickly too.

To the OP, enjoy every bit that pup has to offer, the good  the frustrating and the amazing memories!
sorry you are correct, i misspoke my apologies!

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 11:01:32 AM »
They grow up quick so enjoy it all even when they chew the tv remote & your shoes up!  :tup: Don’t ask how I know that :chuckle: my boy turns 1 on the 14th & is a bull in a china closet but he’s my buddy already

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 08:34:48 PM »

sorry you are correct, i misspoke my apologies!

No apology necessary, she has an awesome family, and a great life!!  :tup: :IBCOOL:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]