collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deleting PowerStroke  (Read 6055 times)

Offline JH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Deleting PowerStroke
« on: February 21, 2020, 11:58:56 AM »
I am considering getting my '13 Powerstroke deleted. Any shop recommendations?

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
Re: Deleting PowerStroke
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 12:04:21 PM »
Most shops won't touch it because it is a federally mandated emissions system.
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 12:11:34 PM »
Ya need a friend mechanic and case of Coors!  Order kits online and get after it.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 07:55:13 PM »
What does "deleting" mean? I see this referenced often.

Elksnout
Can't we all just get along?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 09:02:15 PM »
What does "deleting" mean? I see this referenced often.

Elksnout

Removing emissions stuff. Egr system, DPF, etc.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 09:03:24 PM »
Most shops won't touch it because it is a federally mandated emissions system.

This. It’s illegal to tamper with so most places won’t risk their livelihoods.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 10:07:23 PM »
Illegal now, yes.  What blows my mind is people will pay 80,000 for these trucks but wont spend 2500$ on delete and tuning.   Yet that deleted truck is the one getting 12-17mpg and blowing by ya on the pass with heavy loads??   Hmm.  I know I will just keep on trucking Vantage on cruise at 68mph loaded.  500hp is kinda fun as well.  :twocents:   Pyrometer required!!
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 03:06:54 AM »
As some one whom uses thier truck for work, I will keep my pre 2007 dodge Cummins till the wheels fall off. Then I will fix and bolt back on. 20k to replace the motor and transmission seems like a deal compared to the garbage that is out there now. Especially when you compare the cost of new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Fastass350

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 06:57:31 AM »
Where are you located? I can help you out or recommend a good shop.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 07:49:25 AM »
Illegal now, yes.  What blows my mind is people will pay 80,000 for these trucks but wont spend 2500$ on delete and tuning.   Yet that deleted truck is the one getting 12-17mpg and blowing by ya on the pass with heavy loads??   Hmm.  I know I will just keep on trucking Vantage on cruise at 68mph loaded.  500hp is kinda fun as well.  :twocents:   Pyrometer required!!

It’s always been illegal, the epa is just recently stepping up enforcement. They’ve been putting the screws on h manufacturers. Pretty soon only epa compliant tunes will be available.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 08:38:08 AM »
Ya, true.  I have 06 Dodge.  I bought it and it had a stupid tuner box on it Quadzilla I think?  Ya could adjust/tune everything manually.  Darn truck was making 46psi boost and I couldn't stop it.  Maybe truck has head studs and injectors but I do not know for sure so I removed it.  I had Anarchy diesel, tuner Phil write custom tunes for my truck.  I told him what I wanted, what aftermarket parts/mods are done etc.  He wrote up good safe tunes.   Now truck will not exceed max safe boost psi, runs cleaner, responds well with the 6 speed manual trans and still has a go fast play tune.  I have switch/knob with 1-5 position that I can just turn it at will and all is good.  Optimized stock tune, heavy tow tune about 60hp, economy performance tune 90-100hp and a 140 play and a 180-200hp stupid tune.  I run #3 most the time which is the 100hp.   Tow with it normal loads and egt will stay in safe limits.Tpy hauler, dump trlr etc.  I have used tow tune 60 with toy hauler loaded up in mnts as well.  I keep egts below 1325.  If its 1300 I don't worry and stay on it.   Only downfall is no exhaust brake but a manual helps some.  If I need it I would go with a Pacbrake exhaust brake with a stock/475 twin turbo set up.  With this set truck is almost un touchable imop.  Cummins are such good engines.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 08:46:22 AM »
Not trying to start anything negative here but I don't understand that if Cumins are the cat's meow then why do they all need the tuners and add ons?  :dunno:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 08:50:27 AM »

Mostly because 90% of them people who have those trucks dont use them to their full potential and can get away with half tons, and maybe because you can do the same with a stock truck. 475hp and 1050lbs-ft of torque from a powerstroke without having to spend $2500 to mess with it and hope it works. Sometimes I think your fears about current diesels are stuck in the Cummins 2007.5 era.  They’re not issues anymore.   I worked for Dodge then. I’m aware of the issues. I’m aware there’s no convincing you of that, but if you’re using a truck like you say you do, you won’t have problems with them anymore. The problems stem from letting them idle too much and not using/working them. I know I won’t change your mind and I’m good with that.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 09:04:24 AM »
 :yeah:   You are correct. :chuckle:   They are much much better now.  Agreed.  The price is the killer!   475/1000 are more than anyone will likely ever need.  Actually I do not think its safe for these new trucks to tow 35000lbs?  I am stuck at 2007.5, the year it all changed!   I am liking the new 7.3 gasser and that truck would probably do what I need quite well, except for mpg maybe!  400hp and 800tq is all I need honestly.  I am old school as well so biased in the simplicity of things and in the prospect of doing the work at home...
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 09:06:14 AM »
Not trying to start anything negative here but I don't understand that if Cumins are the cat's meow then why do they all need the tuners and add ons?  :dunno:
They don't but if ya do it doesn't blow up like Fords did!   Cummins has 33% less parts to break and is same design/tech as the million mile big rigs use.  So that's about it in nutshell.
MAGA!  Again..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand