collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Icy Straight Point Halibut fishing  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Wake1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Icy Straight Point Halibut fishing
« on: February 23, 2020, 08:46:13 AM »
My wife and I are taking a cruise to Alaska in June. We are stopping in Icy Straight for a day. We are aware there is not much to do or see. We are planning on spending part of the day Halibut fishing. Does anyone have any recommendations for a charter out of Hoonah or Icy Straight? I have plenty of access to Salmon in the summer in Washington so halibut is the target fish. TIA!!

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: Icy Straight Point Halibut fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 09:59:23 AM »
Cant help with a halibut charter. 

We took a tour to go see Brown Bears on a  ice walking tour.   Guides had 45/70's. 

It was fun. 

Enjoy your trip!!
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 10:36:02 AM »
If you're going to Hoonah, you might like to try their zip line there.  It's advertised as the world's longest zip line. 

I scaled logs there back in the late 80s. There was some great king salmon fishing up by the log sorting yard in the head of West Port Fredrick.  We also used to get driven up the dump road in the winter and we'd sled all the way back into town. I forget how many miles we sledded.  Since you are going in summer that won't be an option. But if you can rent a car, there are miles and miles of logging roads you can drive and you can also drive over to Tenakee Hot Springs.

Stop and tip one for me if the Kuteyea Bar is still open.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 10:43:38 AM »
If you're going to Hoonah, you might like to try their zip line there.  It's advertised as the world's longest zip line. 

I scaled logs there back in the late 80s. There was some great king salmon fishing up by the log sorting yard in the head of West Port Fredrick.  We also used to get driven up the dump road in the winter and we'd sled all the way back into town. I forget how many miles we sledded.  Since you are going in summer that won't be an option. But if you can rent a car, there are miles and miles of logging roads you can drive and you can also drive over to Tenakee Hot Springs.

Stop and tip one for me if the Kuteyea Bar is still open.

:yeah:
My brother is currently working in Hoonah and they are building a Gondola for the Zipline to get people up to the top faster. Does your cruise stop in Juneau? If so you may have more options for a Halibut charter.  :twocents:
IAFF #3728

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 09:38:28 PM »
I forgot a link. lol

A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Caseknife

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, SCI
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 07:17:53 AM »
We will be heading up in May, might have to check it out.  Might be more inclined to go on the bear tour than the zipline!

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 07:52:13 AM »
Rain gear ready?  Whales will be back, have a great one!!!

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 10:27:11 AM »
We will be heading up in May, might have to check it out.  Might be more inclined to go on the bear tour than the zipline!

Lots of bears. They come into town often.  Had a buddy come home from duck hunting and his dog jumped out and ran around the house. Came running back with a brownie on it's tail.  He got a duck load into it and it ran off. Some locals tracked it down later and finished it off. 

This next incident happened about two weeks after I started working in Hoonah.  But it was on the next island over, Baranof of which Sitka is at the north end.  It certainly cast a somber mood over the logging camp.

https://books.google.com/books?id=IzqHejc935cC&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=Harley,+bear+attack+Baronof&source=bl&ots=BX2KTKgyEz&sig=ACfU3U2I7zgX1lBnkYEaS-wf8k24XN9-Qg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjO_PHO5OrnAhWIHjQIHdrmD1cQ6AEwAnoECAsQAQ#v=onepage&q=Harley%2C%20bear%20attack%20Baronof&f=false

Offline Carl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 11:09:20 AM »
It's been 15 years, but we did a cruise and stopped there, too.  I booked a halibut fishing trip with a great guy, and I've just spent 30 minutes trying to find his name without success.  It was a husband and wife operation. I booked directly, not through a shore excursion.

I know that’s not much help and I’ll keep looking for a name.  It seems like he was a teacher and did the fishing charters in his off time.

Carl

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 11:12:59 AM »
@captkyle
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Wake1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 03:44:20 PM »

Lots of bears. They come into town often.  Had a buddy come home from duck hunting and his dog jumped out and ran around the house. Came running back with a brownie on it's tail.  He got a duck load into it and it ran off. Some locals tracked it down later and finished it off. 

This next incident happened about two weeks after I started working in Hoonah.  But it was on the next island over, Baranof of which Sitka is at the north end.  It certainly cast a somber mood over the logging camp.

https://books.google.com/books?id=IzqHejc935cC&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=Harley,+bear+attack+Baronof&source=bl&ots=BX2KTKgyEz&sig=ACfU3U2I7zgX1lBnkYEaS-wf8k24XN9-Qg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjO_PHO5OrnAhWIHjQIHdrmD1cQ6AEwAnoECAsQAQ#v=onepage&q=Harley%2C%20bear%20attack%20Baronof&f=false

I grew up in Sitka in the 70's and don't ever remember bears being a concern. I walked or rode my bike everywhere on that island. We did live in a logging camp in what was called Kelp Bay for a stretch and we had many incidents with bears. Had my own close encounter at a very young age. I don't really need to see any bears while I am there. Would rather spend my time on the water. This had to be a very bad way to die. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Offline scotsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 05:08:51 PM »
We were in Hoonah last Fall. Like you said, not much to do there so I took the shuttle into town. Not much to to do there either so I walked the docks. First thing I saw was a big aluminum boat with rod holders all over it. Talking to the guy working on the boat, turns out he is the skipper who runs it as a Halibut charter. His prices were WAY cheaper than the charter offered by the cruise line and right across from the docks is a refrigerator plant who will flash freeze and ship your catch. I asked for his card and he said, just Google Hoonah or Icy Straits fishing charter. There are just a couple of guys with charter boats there and he said they all work hard for their fishermen. So zi did, this is him https://www.hookedadventures.com/

Offline Caseknife

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, SCI
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 06:20:48 PM »
Book marked that charter, definitely about half price compared to the Cruise line sponsored charter.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]