collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tipi Build, Design Help Needed  (Read 16076 times)

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Tipi Build, Design Help Needed
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2019, 03:05:12 PM »
Here’s some more pics from the season. Thanks everyone for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2019, 03:13:39 PM »
That turned out very nice.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2019, 11:06:37 AM »
How is that stove working out for you?
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2019, 11:49:38 AM »
Looks great!   

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2019, 12:07:13 PM »
How is that stove working out for you?

Stove is working out great.  It is my first backpacking style stove, so I assume any challenges I have are common to all of them (which may or may not be true).

I'd love a slightly tighter seal between the stovepipe and the top of the stove, not sure how I can realistically do this, but it can get a little smokey. 

The top and bottom panel are a little heat warped, which makes it difficult to assemble.  I wish they'd heat them at the shop before they send them out to ensure they stick closer to the right shape.

It puts out a ton of heat, but when its out its out.  I've started stacking rocks under and around it to try to preserve some of the heat made.  This is just a new strategy of mine, no fault of the stove.

I do think I should get a spark arrestor for it, when it takes off it really gets blazing and I'm afraid a spark is going to land back on my tent.

Otherwise, my only complaint is that it gets too hot.  Its slick as sh*t for drying stuff out and staying warm.  Makes the tipi a really nice place to come back to or eat dinner in the rain.  Something bout a fire...

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2019, 12:19:27 PM »
The smokey thing is common to many titanium backcountry stoves.  I have a different brand stove, and same issue.  It gets worse as they get older with more use as things don't fit as tightly over time.   Sometimes I get smoke coming out from around the bolts/nuts that hold it together, other times from the creases on the sides.  Typically opening the door of the stove a crack to increase airflow solves it.   Once the stove gets roaring the smoke usually stops.   I have more smoke issues if I have the rain cap on top the stove pipe as that causes more draft issues.   

Definitely get a spark arrestor.   Not sure what brand stove you have but most stove companies sell spares. 

Some of the smoke issues can also be exacerbated by lack of airflow.  I like to set mine up where the front of stove is facing the zipper of the tipi, and keep the zipper an inch or two open to make sure enough airflow gets in for the stove.   

The rock-stacking under and around the stove helps hold heat longer.   But unfortunately a titanium stove just doesn't hold heat.  I use mine to dry my clothes every night, melt snow if I'm snow camping, and to warm up the tipi a bit before climbing into my sleeping bag.   I don't get up during the night to keep it stoked....too much work and hampers my sleep cycle.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2019, 01:28:59 PM »
The smokey thing is common to many titanium backcountry stoves.  I have a different brand stove, and same issue.  It gets worse as they get older with more use as things don't fit as tightly over time.   Sometimes I get smoke coming out from around the bolts/nuts that hold it together, other times from the creases on the sides.  Typically opening the door of the stove a crack to increase airflow solves it.   Once the stove gets roaring the smoke usually stops.   I have more smoke issues if I have the rain cap on top the stove pipe as that causes more draft issues.   

Definitely get a spark arrestor.   Not sure what brand stove you have but most stove companies sell spares. 

Some of the smoke issues can also be exacerbated by lack of airflow.  I like to set mine up where the front of stove is facing the zipper of the tipi, and keep the zipper an inch or two open to make sure enough airflow gets in for the stove.   

The rock-stacking under and around the stove helps hold heat longer.   But unfortunately a titanium stove just doesn't hold heat.  I use mine to dry my clothes every night, melt snow if I'm snow camping, and to warm up the tipi a bit before climbing into my sleeping bag.   I don't get up during the night to keep it stoked....too much work and hampers my sleep cycle.

I have the same issue at night.  If i cut larger pieces they'll burn for longer, but I have to constantly tend to the damper.  It needs a lot of air to get going, but I need to be there quickly to prevent it from "taking off".  When it gets going it sounds like a jet and it'll get red hot halfway up the stove pipe if you dont' pay attention to it.  Last thing I need is for that to happen mid-sleep.

Its a titanium goat wifi stove.  They don't have them posted on their website right now (not sure if they're still in business or just reorganizing or what).  I've meant to order a stove-side spark arrestor from them.

Still its a HUGE step up from no stove/heat.  Boils water easily.  I have found that I like to bring a small foldable handsaw now to cut larger pieces for it.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2019, 01:57:10 PM »

I have the same issue at night.  If i cut larger pieces they'll burn for longer, but I have to constantly tend to the damper.  It needs a lot of air to get going, but I need to be there quickly to prevent it from "taking off".  When it gets going it sounds like a jet and it'll get red hot halfway up the stove pipe if you dont' pay attention to it.  Last thing I need is for that to happen mid-sleep.

Its a titanium goat wifi stove.  They don't have them posted on their website right now (not sure if they're still in business or just reorganizing or what).  I've meant to order a stove-side spark arrestor from them.

Still its a HUGE step up from no stove/heat.  Boils water easily.  I have found that I like to bring a small foldable handsaw now to cut larger pieces for it.

Heard a rumor that the founder of Ti-Goat died. Not sure if it's true but I am guessing it is as he never returned my email after I reviewed that stove for him.

I am surprised that you had a warping issue with it? I burned it in really hot on it's first burn so it should have held shape nicely and been pretty easy to assemble after that. Look for "fat wood" if you can find it. Fat wood is the center of most trees and can be found by kicking apart rotten logs or often times it is the only standing part of a rotten tree. You will get much longer burn times out of "fat wood" than sticks or chopped wood.

I am heading up tonight to test out 3 different Tipi's and titanium stoves. Should be a cool weekend of camping.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2019, 02:08:51 PM »
Yes on the titanium stove but I'd ditch the propane stove with the 20# cylinder.  Besides not being certified for inside use with the cylinder they create a ton of condensation issues with the propane byproduct being water. 

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2019, 03:33:57 PM »
Yes on the titanium stove but I'd ditch the propane stove with the 20# cylinder.  Besides not being certified for inside use with the cylinder they create a ton of condensation issues with the propane byproduct being water. 

This was when I had it set up next to the car as more of a base camp (note the cot).  I have the propane heater in there for chilly mornings when i want a quick heat boost while I'm getting dressed.  In backpack/spike camp mode, I would not have that.

The propane heater works a treat on chilly mornings, especially when morale is low.

Offline madcow41

• Scout
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2020, 09:09:48 AM »
Look up selkirk mountain works dudes a big hunter he makes some good stuff

Offline bornhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc