collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Staying warmer In the mountains (hot tent?)  (Read 11069 times)

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
Re: Staying warmer In the mountains (hot tent?)
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2020, 12:01:03 PM »
Look at LiteOutdoors. They are good stoves and the tent is pretty nice. You can get into a combo there for less than $700. Seek is very high quality and just about anything they make is great but you are going to $$pay$$ for it. PM me and I'll tell you more. They wont let me share the link unless I pay.

You can share the link. People share links all the time. You're no different. You can't promote the business you were promoting where you were being given gear in exchange for posting reviews online.

https://www.liteoutdoors.com/product/liteoutdoors-titanium-stove/

Lite Outdoors is the old GoLite people.

Check your PM as I do not want to thread jack.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Buckjunkie

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2020, 12:28:05 PM »
When I was young I watched my grandfather pull out a few towels and grab some rocks from around the fire. He wrapped the rocks in towels and put them in his bed.

He grew up poor. I thought it was a genius idea when you have a fire.

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2020, 01:04:31 PM »
Look at LiteOutdoors. They are good stoves and the tent is pretty nice. You can get into a combo there for less than $700. Seek is very high quality and just about anything they make is great but you are going to $$pay$$ for it. PM me and I'll tell you more. They wont let me share the link unless I pay.

You can share the link. People share links all the time. You're no different. You can't promote the business you were promoting where you were being given gear in exchange for posting reviews online.

https://www.liteoutdoors.com/product/liteoutdoors-titanium-stove/

Lite Outdoors is the old GoLite people.

Check your PM as I do not want to thread jack.

Can you message me a little info on the lite outdoors? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2020, 01:04:51 PM »
The rock idea is very very smart..

Offline 444Marlin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2020, 07:46:39 PM »
The rock idea is very very smart..

Wasn't there a scene in Jeremiah Johnson where they threw their bedrolls on some buried campfire coals?  That seems to be a good method to keep warm...unless you have an inflatable sleeping pad and a $500 Western Mountaineering bag.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2020, 11:29:53 PM »
The reviews on that Nemo bag say its barely good to 30 degrees, with 650 down vs 850 or 900 preferred sounds like thats a good summer bag but you need a good 0 or -10 bag.

Yeah dude, before you go throwing money on a new shelter and a stove buy yourself a high end bag. Your first 15 degree night with your fancy new shelter and stove is gonna be the same when you realize the stove goes out after 2 hours and now it’s cold. Western Mountaineering, feathered friends. I hear good things about montbell. One of those three.

Second tip - store your sleeping bags UNCOMPRESSED. Seriously. Compressing the insulation will make it less effective. Only compress it when it goes into your pack.

Third tip - buy a nice high r value pad.

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2020, 04:55:45 AM »
I have that exact bag and I combine it with a Sea to Summit comfort plus insulated pad (has a 5 R value).  The coldest night I've been out in mine it was 17 degrees outside.  I was in my Cabelas 2 man tent.  I just slept in my thermals with a beanie on and did not get cold.  I am a traditionally warm sleeper to begin with, but slept great.  I like that bag because I like to sleep on my stomach or side.  It has worked well for me.  Lots of good suggestions in this thread though for staying warmer.  If you like the comfort of your bag though, I suggest a better pad and warmer night time clothing with a beanie.  I also store mine uncompressed until it's time to go on the trip.

Offline Onewhohikes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2020, 06:06:20 AM »
Not me I hang my sleeping bags and pads in my closet so they keep dry and are allowed to air out. You will find that things last longer this way.

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2020, 03:29:18 PM »
Not me I hang my sleeping bags and pads in my closet so they keep dry and are allowed to air out. You will find that things last longer this way.
Me too, that's what I meant my storing mine uncompressed.

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2020, 09:44:40 AM »
Thanks everybody for posting! I learned a lot after reading all of the responses. I think my plan is to get a liner. And try this bad in more mild temps see how it hold up, and then go for a meatier bag.. i am also looking into liteoutdoors so i could have a stove as well. Since posting i have also taken my bag out of the compression bag.. thanks again

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2020, 12:03:08 PM »
I just bought this from mountainsmith, and will install a stove jack in it. Ive only had it up 2 nights to test it out, seems good so far. I found a discount code and got it for 107 delivered. Hoping to find a small stove for it in the next few months. Its not very tall but more than enough room for 1 guy. Weighs under 2 pounds, you need hiking poles or to cut your own poles out of wood..

That looks pretty slick, like the discontinued sawtooth or paratipi from Kifaru.

I use the 8 man Seek Outside tent.  It's great and I'll be getting a smaller one for backpacking.

That's what I have, and that is also my plan.  I don't want to be packing that 8 man.

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2020, 12:37:02 PM »
I just bought this from mountainsmith, and will install a stove jack in it. Ive only had it up 2 nights to test it out, seems good so far. I found a discount code and got it for 107 delivered. Hoping to find a small stove for it in the next few months. Its not very tall but more than enough room for 1 guy. Weighs under 2 pounds, you need hiking poles or to cut your own poles out of wood..

That looks pretty slick, like the discontinued sawtooth or paratipi from Kifaru.

I use the 8 man Seek Outside tent.  It's great and I'll be getting a smaller one for backpacking.

That's what I have, and that is also my plan.  I don't want to be packing that 8 man.

Neither the Sawtooth or the paratarp are discontinued from Kifaru.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2020, 01:10:23 PM »

Neither the Sawtooth or the paratarp are discontinued from Kifaru.

Good to know.  It seems at one time I searched for these (paratipi), and they did not have them listed.  Thanks.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal