collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: south puget sound crabbing  (Read 3771 times)

Offline KB88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
south puget sound crabbing
« on: February 27, 2020, 04:24:42 PM »
Anyone hear through any secret grapevine about whether we will finally have a crabbing season down south this year?

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: south puget sound crabbing
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 08:20:17 PM »
Doubtful, there is likely no local spawning since the environmental conditions haven't changed.

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 07:45:44 AM »
Anyone hear through any secret grapevine about whether we will finally have a crabbing season down south this year?
id say 99.99999% you don't from what i've heard.

Offline crazywednesday

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 07:55:12 AM »
Will the tribes still harvest?
Justin

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 09:33:42 AM »

I was told from biologist to look at it as a  indefinite  closure and don't get your hopes up for any years to come .....
Great response right ! Think they would reduce commercial  a little considering  we are 3% of the impact in there numbers game

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 10:29:07 AM »

I was told from biologist to look at it as a  indefinite  closure and don't get your hopes up for any years to come .....
Great response right ! Think they would reduce commercial  a little considering  we are 3% of the impact in there numbers game
Where did you get the 3% number? You might want to look into framework and allocation amongst user groups. Commercial has been shut down as long as rec has. There is an environmental change that Dungeness crab specifically have been devastated by. The light traps are picking up near zero of the megalope cohort so the outlook is dismal at best. We could get far more specific as to why its looking like indefinite, but they are all theories at this point. There is considerable effort being put into the "why".

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 11:02:01 AM »

Where did you get the 3% number? You might want to look into framework and allocation amongst user groups. Commercial has been shut down as long as rec has. There is an environmental change that Dungeness crab specifically have been devastated by. The light traps are picking up near zero of the megalope cohort so the outlook is dismal at best. We could get far more specific as to why its looking like indefinite, but they are all theories at this point. There is considerable effort being put into the "why".

The biologist I spoke with told me recreational grabbers only affect 3% of the numbers they use .  And yes I know commercial is shutdown in there but there is still a very active user group in there  crabbing just didn't want conversation to be blame cast on them cause there are many issues, she explained  also there are many things affecting it . Just disappointing

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 11:54:15 AM »
My understanding is that the tribe/non-tribe split is 50/50 and of our 50%, sport gets way more than commercial.  I would guess that isn't even across all areas, but statewide, tribal is the largest followed by recreational followed by commercial.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 12:13:55 PM »
Millerwheeler do you have the name of the biologist you spoke to (pm)? I think it's imperative to disseminate accurate information when given the opportunity.  Some of what you were told makes little sense. This is a catastrophic population collapse and wouldn't warrant effort even if allowed. There may be confusion as to the activity you are referencing in regards to target species, I'm not sure but clarity could be valuable.

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 09:24:13 PM »
Millerwheeler do you have the name of the biologist you spoke to (pm)? I think it's imperative to disseminate accurate information when given the opportunity.  Some of what you were told makes little sense. This is a catastrophic population collapse and wouldn't warrant effort even if allowed. There may be confusion as to the activity you are referencing in regards to target species, I'm not sure but clarity could be valuable.

I will def try to look back in call.log and figure out the phone number for ya and I do not remember name but it was last year before season.  I'll day track it down and pm ya

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 09:25:07 PM »
My understanding is that the tribe/non-tribe split is 50/50 and of our 50%, sport gets way more than commercial.  I would guess that isn't even across all areas, but statewide, tribal is the largest followed by recreational followed by commercial.

Recreational is more of an impact than commercial ? That's  LAUGHABLE  think on that really

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 11:02:18 PM »

Recreational is more of an impact than commercial ? That's  LAUGHABLE  think on that really
I'd be happy to take you for a ride in 7 or 8 when the season starts.  The effort is only rivaled by maybe lowland lakes opener. I think(north sound)  is one of the last strongholds in terms of success for the rec fleet.  That said the launch wait times are usually 1 hour or more. 

Offline Dysfunctional Vet

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 07:13:16 AM »
Wonder what rec guy uses 5 tons of bait in a season. Hmmmmmmm
The VA
   Giving veterans a second chance to die for their country since 1930.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal