collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What would be the ideal hunting rig?  (Read 5057 times)

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
What would be the ideal hunting rig?
« on: February 28, 2020, 11:06:56 AM »
Currently sitting in a 2001 GMC Sierra. Well over 200k miles. starting to think what would be an ideal hunting rig for the future? My first thought it Toyota Tacoma, or Jeep Wrangler. I want something that can handle the compact snow icy roads in the hills, and also something reliable that would handle long drives for out of state hunts. Is there something that can do it all? If you have your ideal rig post pics! Give me your explanations! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: What would be the ideal hunting rig?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 11:14:46 AM »
I like my quad cab f-150 with full length bed and canopy. I bought the eco-boost so it gets decent mileage, pulls trailers well and is a comfortable ride. I like Tacoma's but the small bed and interior room is a deal breaker for me. Its nice being able to load up a week's worth of gear, camp and hopefully meat in the back of your rig. I also like the full length bed and canopy because it makes scouting trips easy in that you can just crash in the bed of your truck no matter the weather.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 11:16:28 AM »
That question needs more information to answer. What is your hunting style? Do you truck camp with a big base camp, or hunt out of a backpack? Early season in addition to late when there's snow? How much cargo space do you actually need? My guess is that if you're traveling out of state, especially if warm weather is a consideration, the Jeep is out simply because you won't be able to haul your gear and enough cooler space to handle the meat you may come home with. Figure on two 100 qt coolers for a mature bull elk, boned out, or an absolutely plugged 100 qt with a spike bull. You going solo or with partners? Room for their gear and additional animals...

A Tacoma is plenty doable, we drove to Wyoming several times as a kid to hunt in my Dad's 92 Toyota 4 banger. Brought back a lot of meat. We weren't camping though, and that makes a difference.

I personally love my Silverado with the 6.5' bed and canopy. I can haul all the necessary gear for a week or more of hunting whether I'm base camping or backpacking it. I can also sleep in the back of it with my canopy on, so camp is wherever I am. It's highly capable in the snow, especially when paired with chains, and it's comfortable for long drives. Can tow utility or travel trailer, or boat if that's a thing we may consider.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 11:29:14 AM »
That question needs more information to answer. What is your hunting style? Do you truck camp with a big base camp, or hunt out of a backpack? Early season in addition to late when there's snow? How much cargo space do you actually need? My guess is that if you're traveling out of state, especially if warm weather is a consideration, the Jeep is out simply because you won't be able to haul your gear and enough cooler space to handle the meat you may come home with. Figure on two 100 qt coolers for a mature bull elk, boned out, or an absolutely plugged 100 qt with a spike bull. You going solo or with partners? Room for their gear and additional animals...

A Tacoma is plenty doable, we drove to Wyoming several times as a kid to hunt in my Dad's 92 Toyota 4 banger. Brought back a lot of meat. We weren't camping though, and that makes a difference.

I personally love my Silverado with the 6.5' bed and canopy. I can haul all the necessary gear for a week or more of hunting whether I'm base camping or backpacking it. I can also sleep in the back of it with my canopy on, so camp is wherever I am. It's highly capable in the snow, especially when paired with chains, and it's comfortable for long drives. Can tow utility or travel trailer, or boat if that's a thing we may consider.

Solid point.. i usually run a fully loaded 4000 CI pack. 80 qt Cabela’s cooler( i bone out everything.) guess i may need to rethink that for elk.. rifle or bow, depending on the hunt. So not a ton of space needed but I’d like the idea of having a foldable table for once back at the truck cutting meat ex.. the real reason i was thinking of a new rig is due to all of the downhill slipping and sliding I’ve done in full size trucks... wondering if that’s a full size truck issue in general, or user/ chains fix. How i usually Hunt is 3-4 days out of the pack. And then back to the truck to relocate or restock up! Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 11:33:53 AM »
Once it turns to ice, I don't think it matters what rig you're in. A couple thousand pounds of steel is going to slide. Chains are really the only thing that will stop that.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 11:38:21 AM »
I am on my 2nd Nissan Frontier. 2012 ,4x4, four door. have 90k on it.
Never got into the super truck frame of mind.
It gets around the narrow roads easier than the big trucks and doesn't take a bank load to drive it around on Hwy or every day.
If I need more cargo space I back up to my 10x12 utility trailer and go.

No issues with it.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 11:50:19 AM »
For me, it has to have plenty of room in the cab for 4 guys and at least 6.5' in back for gear.  It also has to be comfortable for long drives to other states as well as good mileage, reliability and ease and cost of maintenance.  4x4 is assumed, outside of that, it's tire choice and chains.

My 2016 F-150 is near ideal as far as my hunting goes.

Offline Dhoey07

• Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 11:55:19 AM »
Subaru Forester

Online Sandberm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 12:28:26 PM »
I am on my 2nd Nissan Frontier. 2012 ,4x4, four door. have 90k on it.
Never got into the super truck frame of mind.
It gets around the narrow roads easier than the big trucks and doesn't take a bank load to drive it around on Hwy or every day.
If I need more cargo space I back up to my 10x12 utility trailer and go.

No issues with it.

I like narrow 4x4's also. My Colorado is great. S-10, Frontier, Tacoma, same story. Throw a canopy on the back for bonus points

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 12:29:45 PM »
I still miss my Toyota SR5 3.0, 5 spd, with canopy.  I'd go with a Tacoma and canopy for ideal, Jeep if you need room for more than a few kids or adults.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 01:13:08 PM »
Lots of variety for this one. I don't think there's any one perfect rig. The best for me is my Chevy 2500 w/ long bed & a canopy. It get me far enough back to set up camp, & I hike from there. This year I'm fixing up my old mountain bike for Montana turkey. It's reliable so I don't even think about heading out across multiple states every fall for a 3 week trip. I can sleep in the back in rest areas or if the weather is nasty. If I'm going somewhere & want to set up my whole camp, it has no problem pulling the trailer down the highway or up the forest roads through mud or whatever. If I'm going somewhere I've never been, or don't want the whole camp, it can still bring a lot. It handles snow great because it's heavy & the BFGoodrich all terrains grip it well.

It's a 2004 w/ 150k miles on it. Certainly not perfect for everyone, but I love it.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 01:41:18 PM »
I got a 2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited with a V8, best thing I've ever driven! It had only 70k miles on it, never left pavement and had lived it's whole life in Arizona. I paid 16k and it's been worth every penny for it.  :IBCOOL:

I can fit a whole futon mattress in the back with the seats down, the rear window gets rolled down so it doesn't fog up and boy oh boy it doesn't get much more comfortable camping wise. After a cold hunt, there's nothing like nice heated leather seats to sit on. Trucks are great but I love not having to set up a tent or buy anything extra to use it for camping. Best money I ever spent. :twocents:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 01:49:50 PM »
Buddy, what you really need (to buy for "us") is an expedition vehicle. Here are some options you should consider. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/58546863889335794/?lp=true
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 01:54:51 PM »
Trucks are great but I love not having to set up a tent or buy anything extra to use it for camping. Best money I ever spent. :twocents:

That's the same that I did with my SR5 with canopy.  Throw up a tarp or something if you need space to sit out of the rain or cook.  I loved that rig.

Pretty much like this, but with the 3.0 V6. 

https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/d/leavenworth-2004-toyota-tacoma-4x4-sr5/7075839229.html

Yeah, the guy is a tad high on price.

Offline stlusn30-06

• Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 01:54:57 PM »
Very subjective question. The short wheel base point should point you in the right direction. For me compact isn't a big deal. I haven't found myself on excessively tight 4w tracks. Ability to sleep in the back and haul a couple other guys gear is more important. And more than that, reliability. Completely limiting anything that can go wrong.
So for me the ultimate hunting rig:
1994-97 Dodge Ram 2500-Diesel, with a manual transmission. 22 MPG on the highway for the long trips.
Everything is mechanical, (including the injection) there is no reliance on anything electrical. If the battery goes, it can be compression started and it'll run how it is supposed to.
-canopy
-carli 2.0 suspension
-a host of other minor steering/suspension upgrades to soften the ride offroad.
-Pulls a fishing boats too
-Drivetrain is borderline not killable. A million miles is definitely a possibility if you can store the thing indoors. 

A lot of guys I know would say no way to rolling in a truck from that era. Stuff today just rides and drives too well. But I only use it for the woods and mountains, and for those purposes I want basic and fault tolerant.

“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]