collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What would be the ideal hunting rig?  (Read 5054 times)

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
Re: What would be the ideal hunting rig?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2020, 01:58:29 PM »
Buddy, what you really need (to buy for "us") is an expedition vehicle. Here are some options you should consider. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/58546863889335794/?lp=true

I’ll jump right on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 02:10:27 PM »
Very subjective question. The short wheel base point should point you in the right direction. For me compact isn't a big deal. I haven't found myself on excessively tight 4w tracks. Ability to sleep in the back and haul a couple other guys gear is more important. And more than that, reliability. Completely limiting anything that can go wrong.
So for me the ultimate hunting rig:
1994-97 Dodge Ram 2500-Diesel, with a manual transmission. 22 MPG on the highway for the long trips.
Everything is mechanical, (including the injection) there is no reliance on anything electrical. If the battery goes, it can be compression started and it'll run how it is supposed to.
-canopy
-carli 2.0 suspension
-a host of other minor steering/suspension upgrades to soften the ride offroad.
-Pulls a fishing boats too
-Drivetrain is borderline not killable. A million miles is definitely a possibility if you can store the thing indoors. 

A lot of guys I know would say no way to rolling in a truck from that era. Stuff today just rides and drives too well. But I only use it for the woods and mountains, and for those purposes I want basic and fault tolerant.

I really REALLLY like this one. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2020, 02:46:26 PM »
Truck that's reliable and paid for with enough back end to haul a quad so you don't have to beat the heck out of your truck in rough country.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2020, 07:08:04 PM »
I am on my 2nd Nissan Frontier. 2012 ,4x4, four door. have 90k on it.
Never got into the super truck frame of mind.
It gets around the narrow roads easier than the big trucks and doesn't take a bank load to drive it around on Hwy or every day.
If I need more cargo space I back up to my 10x12 utility trailer and go.

No issues with it.

After years of full sized 4x4 trucks, I switched to mid-sized in 2010 and have not been happier. Granted my 2007 Dodge Dakota did not get any better MPG than a full size Ram, and was pretty anemic on power, LOL. I traded it in last year and
 love my (new to me) 2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 SV crew cab. I put a Bak-flip G2 Tonnue on it, and all my hunting gear can fit under it with the lid closed. I use a receiver carrier for deer.
This year was a complete clay/mud bog with 6 inches of rain the day before the opener for during deer season here in OKC, and it performed fantastic!
I never thought I would say this, but after braking my back last July, I realized heated seats are the bomb!
 :chuckle:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2020, 07:12:10 PM »
If its purely a woods rig, hard to beat this..

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,246987.0.html

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2020, 07:35:20 PM »
I’ve had several older Toyota pickups and tacomas over the years and they are hard to beat when driving around on logging roads. The older trucks were pretty gutless, the Tacoma’s less so(I had 4 cycle in all of mine), not great for towing my boat or going on long trips. Had an early 80s f250 with a 300 six and 4 speed tranny, it was a beast off road but would barely do 60mph on the freeway and the suspension would beat the crap out of me.

Now that I have kids and don’t have room for a dedicated beater any more, I picked up a 99 suburban from a neighbor on the cheap. If you can get over not having a real pickup bed, it makes a great hunting rig. I put a weather tech rear cargo liner in mine, and carry a tarp just in case I’m lucky enough to kill something.

Several reasons why I like the suburban:
They’re cheap. There’s this stigma about them being horrendous gas hogs, but they’re more aerodynamic than a pickup. Mine gets around 16mpg, compared to my Tacoma with about half the power that got 19mpg. L

You can sleep in the back comfortably, take the 3rd row seat out and the 2nd row flat, I can put my army cot back there easily.

Comfortable on long trips, way nicer ride than most pickups.

Owning one has made me really wonder if I need another truck. Almost wouldn’t mind just getting a 3/4 ton suburban and a box trailer for hauling dirty stuff.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 07:41:07 PM »
 :yeah:
Got a 96 GMC suburban
Great for parking at gates
Comfy and fun to hunt out of
All of the above
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 05:28:10 AM by MADMAX »
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2020, 09:44:00 PM »
As said previously, a very subjective question.  For the most part I use my rig to get to a trailhead and head out from there for a couple days, but a good vehicle base is nice.

That said, I am not a fan of midsized trucks, I like a bigger platform and the 6” narrower platform just has not been a deciding factor for me.

I like my 2001 f150 supercrew w/5.5’ bed for its short wheel base and tight turn radius (later models have a longer wheel base and larger turn radius), but the 5.4 Triton is a bit of a dog and not very fuel efficient. The 3.55 gears are either too slow or too fast on most bumpy roads, would like 4.10 but then mileage would really suck. I can turn around on all but the narrowest single tracks though. I don’t mind sleeping in the drivers seat for a quick camp. Bed has plenty of room for most all I need and the extra cab room for dry gear.

My 2015 f150 Screw is very similar and a lot more comfortable for the long haul and is more fuel efficient so it goes on my long trips, though it is not as trail worthy. Front seats don’t lay as flat so not as comfortable to sleep in. Gearing seems better for slow, bumpy roads, though still has a 3.55 rear.

I pull a 5x8 trailer for a mini camper/bike hauler that is perfect for two guys and more gear than anyone really needs.

A 2018 Ram 2500 quad cab with Cummins is great, probably my ultimate all around rig, but heavy and not very nimble. Tons of power and all the pulling power I need.

Ideally I would buy a Ram 2500 chassis cab and trick it out, just the $100k is holding me back :chuckle:

No right or wrong answers, just opinions.

Offline Pnwrider

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2020, 10:39:05 PM »
Based on what you describe, tacoma hands down. Great reliability, great resale, and short wheelbase makes it great on Forrest service roads. I’d have one if it wasn’t for my towing needs.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2020, 11:08:58 AM »
I bought my 2019 OR TRD Tacoma last August. Not only is it packed with features, but it goes through and over just about anything. I needed a friend who's more familiar with what 4WD vehicles can do to show me the extent of its capabilities. I absolutely love the vehicle except for the mileage. Mileage is about 16 average, not the 18-22 on the sticker. Otherwise, I'm trilled with the performance of this vehicle, pulling, quality of ride, specialty 4WD selection. Check out crawl mode on YouTube. Amazing stuff.

By the way, August is the month to buy. They increase the rebates and cut the 4-year extended warranty in half. The warranty is transferable. Resale value on these trucks is off the charts. Get financing through whoever the local dealer goes through and then search the credit unions for an additional point off the APR. Oh, and it's fun to walk in with a bag of cash for your down payment and see everyone's reactions, especially the credit manager, who almost never sees cash for anything. I used a large ziplock bag for mine.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2020, 11:14:53 AM »
The new Ram 1500 ecodiesel have been catching my eye. 30 mpg and up to 500 miles a tank is a huge feature for me in a hunting rig. Sure it's a full size, but the mpg is better than most midsize and you've got more truck when you need it.

I always have heard suspect things about the long term quality of newer ram interiors...but as long as it doesn't fall apart it would be a comfy and capable hunting rig
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline bornhunter

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2020, 11:19:38 AM »
I bought my 2019 OR TRD Tacoma last August. Not only is it packed with features, but it goes through and over just about anything. I needed a friend who's more familiar with what 4WD vehicles can do to show me the extent of its capabilities. I absolutely love the vehicle except for the mileage. Mileage is about 16 average, not the 18-22 on the sticker. Otherwise, I'm trilled with the performance of this vehicle, pulling, quality of ride, specialty 4WD selection. Check out crawl mode on YouTube. Amazing stuff.

By the way, August is the month to buy. They increase the rebates and cut the 4-year extended warranty in half. The warranty is transferable. Resale value on these trucks is off the charts. Get financing through whoever the local dealer goes through and then search the credit unions for an additional point off the APR. Oh, and it's fun to walk in with a bag of cash for your down payment and see everyone's reactions, especially the credit manager, who almost never sees cash for anything. I used a large ziplock bag for mine.

Very true about these rigs. I have a 2014 tac trd. Goes anywhere in anything but mileage does suck and terrible road noise at freeway speeds.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2020, 11:31:13 AM »
The freeway road noise has been reduced, I believe. It's not bad in this one, not terrific, but not bad.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2020, 11:47:35 AM »
The new Ram 1500 ecodiesel have been catching my eye. 30 mpg and up to 500 miles a tank is a huge feature for me in a hunting rig. Sure it's a full size, but the mpg is better than most midsize and you've got more truck when you need it.

I always have heard suspect things about the long term quality of newer ram interiors...but as long as it doesn't fall apart it would be a comfy and capable hunting rig

Take a look at the Fords too, you can get an optional 36 gallon tank.  At 20 mpg, I have about 720 miles of range which is a nice benefit.  I can one stop it to my hunting grounds in MT and don't have to worry about mid week refueling in most instances.  If you had one of the 6 cylinder versions, the range would be even more.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]