collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scaring cougars for science: Research in northeast Washington looks at effective  (Read 3985 times)

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
With Bango, show up in the tri-cities, Kretz style pics, numbers and facts would be a +

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
That lion was not part of the program it had killed another persons dog year or so prior. Homeowners didn't want the lion euthanized so it was collared. I wonder how many other pets in that area went missing in the last year?

Actually it was part of the predator prey study.  The game warden on scene, against wdfw policy, decided not to kill it, and instead have it collared for the predator prey study.  That same game warden told me he thinks cougars are beautiful and people shouldnt kill them.  Hes also prevented lethal removal on prior livestock depredations and been threatening toward the livestocks owners.

Online bigskyhounds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
That lion was not part of the program it had killed another persons dog year or so prior. Homeowners didn't want the lion euthanized so it was collared. I wonder how many other pets in that area went missing in the last year?

Actually it was part of the predator prey study.  The game warden on scene, against wdfw policy, decided not to kill it, and instead have it collared for the predator prey study.  That same game warden told me he thinks cougars are beautiful and people shouldnt kill them.  Hes also prevented lethal removal on prior livestock depredations and been threatening toward the livestocks owners.

Right. Not the hazing program though.
What is procedure when a landowner says they can't kill that cat? What kind of authority does an enforcement officer have. If lion is caught on the property or If started on their property and caught off of it can they remove it?

IMO someone with that sentiment and attitude towards the public should have no position in managing natural resources or policing people.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 06:50:23 AM by bigskyhounds »

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Not sure about that...

We have been busy at it and got two more cats collared today in Spokane County.  So far the project is going really well and we are learning a lot!

Thanks for the share!

Offline dan11011

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
Don’t know why people have to be so negative. Great article. I appreciate the effort being made to manage cougars. Thanks for sharing Dale, and good work Bart!  :tup:

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Don’t know why people have to be so negative. Great article. I appreciate the effort being made to manage cougars. Thanks for sharing Dale, and good work Bart!  :tup:

2x this for sure.  Thanks, Bart, keep up the good work! 
Side note, too bad those cougars wind up in the dump, both meat and hide.  I'd happily take one home if there were a program to reclaim the depredation kill.   

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Good article wish I had Barts job :chuckle:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB

:yeah: I agree, no need for some to be so negative. At least they are trying to learn something good with this study. In some areas of Idaho the cats get hunted quite a bit, caught and released several times a season, my observation has been that the cats get far more evasive, I hope Bart's work can prove that concept to the state.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Bart has a dream job, heck of a nice guy as well. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull