collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Use what I have or buy new for Wa State. ?  (Read 3913 times)

Offline SpicyTacos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Use what I have or buy new for Wa State. ?
« on: March 07, 2020, 11:27:57 AM »
Howdy,
I currently have a CVA Optima and it performs well for my needs.  I have had issues in wet weather hunting elk on the coast other than that it shoots as well as I need it to with iron sights.

My questions is it worth it to upgrade to say a more closed system like a rem 700 muzzy or similar?(Correct me if I am using poor language to describe) I only hunt Wa state so I doubt I will need to shoot out pass 100yds (with practice possible more)

I could keep my CVA and save money to be in out in the mountains longer. But I am willing to spend the money on new muzzy if I think there is an advantage of having less possible problems with ignition. Plus the idea of scoping a better performing muzzy for out of state sounds good.
The bolt action looks nice for reloading on the rem and cva. Plus buying new toys is always a joy.
Please let me know. What you think.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
Re: Use what I have or buy new for Wa State. ?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 11:31:19 AM »
Howdy,
I currently have a CVA Optima and it performs well for my needs.  I have had issues in wet weather hunting elk on the coast other than that it shoots as well as I need it to with iron sights.

My questions is it worth it to upgrade to say a more closed system like a rem 700 muzzy or similar?(Correct me if I am using poor language to describe) I only hunt Wa state so I doubt I will need to shoot out pass 100yds (with practice possible more)

I could keep my CVA and save money to be in out in the mountains longer. But I am willing to spend the money on new muzzy if I think there is an advantage of having less possible problems with ignition. Plus the idea of scoping a better performing muzzy for out of state sounds good.
The bolt action looks nice for reloading on the rem and cva. Plus buying new toys is always a joy.

"save money to be in out in the mountains longer"

always good advice  :tup:   keep eye on used too in classifieds.

Offline SpicyTacos

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 11:37:46 AM »
Thank you.

I would rather be in the mountains longer. I have personally never harvested an animal over 150yds.

I am thinking a nice globe with a new reticle to go with my peep sight would be more than enough for my needs.

I really want to be out in the woods for a couple of weeks this year.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 12:14:32 PM »
It depends on what your issues were.  If you are having significant ignition problems, "click" won't kill an elk no matter how many days you were out there.

If it were me, if I had a relatively reliable smoke pole, I wouldn't upgrade if it meant spending hunting funds for gas or days in the field.

Ignition problems can potentially be fixed with a new gun or working on the old one.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 12:20:08 PM »
Howdy,

Are you running the 209 primers now that they are allowed?  That may help with your wet weather issues a bit.  If the gun is shooting well for you, I would stick with it as is and look at upgrading to 209's if you have not already.

BUT, if you want a new boomstick, I cannot fault you and wholly endorse expanding your collection.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 12:23:27 PM »
I just sold my very reliable t/c xr 50 cal for a new cva Optima, 209 primer and closed breech. It is cheap at Muzzleloaders.com.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline SpicyTacos

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 05:50:26 PM »
Thanks for the input. I think I will optimize my current CVA optima for the optimal performance.

209 primer, closed breech and new globe front sight.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 06:35:29 PM »
I just sold my very reliable t/c xr 50 cal for a new cva Optima, 209 primer and closed breech. It is cheap at Muzzleloaders.com.

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/cva-optimatm-v2-pr2020s.html

I just got a CVA Optima V2 Northwest   

I might hunt ML Idaho so I went that route,  but I ordered the conversion kit for 209 primers for WA. 
Very easy change out.  I'll change it out soon as I get it. 

best of both worlds. 

I would have just gotten the Optima V2 209,  but I couldn't see where I could convert the 209 back to the northwest  :dunno:

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 11:49:34 AM »
Sounds more like a user issue than the guns fault.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 12:12:48 PM »

Care to share any advice?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline SpicyTacos

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 02:15:05 PM »

CVA is a great weapon.

The gun failed to fire after a torrential downpour of rain. I think the problem was navigating through reprod, old growth and windfall that was soaked with water. We were into a herd of elk. So it was exciting and I was trudging through the woods carelessly.
No big deal. I am in no way blaming this on the weapon. I do know that I will be upgrading to a closed breech, new sight and 209 primers.

Thanks for all the input

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 02:21:51 PM »
You need a gun condom in those conditions

Offline brackens

• Past Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 01:29:39 PM »
I will be hunting elk muzzie for the first time and have never fired a muzzle loader.  I read through the regs and I understand that it needs to be a closed breach. 
I am looking at the Optima

But this one, that was posted earlier has a breach that breaks.  If I understand this is not legal.  I know, I can search but many of the old posts are pre new rules here in Washington.  Sorry to annoy those of you that understand all the terms and legality.

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 01:55:01 PM »
I will be hunting elk muzzie for the first time and have never fired a muzzle loader.  I read through the regs and I understand that it needs to be a closed breach. 

But this one, that was posted earlier has a breach that breaks.  If I understand this is not legal.  I know, I can search but many of the old posts are pre new rules here in Washington.  Sorry to annoy those of you that understand all the terms and legality.
Where did you read it must have a closed breech?
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2020, 02:00:14 PM »

:yeah:  please clarify what state you plan to hunt.  Washington has relaxed their restrictions on muzzle loaders. 

The one you have linked here is legal in WA.

Offline curlewkiller

• Hunter
  • God's Country
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2020, 05:32:33 PM »

:yeah:  please clarify what state you plan to hunt.  Washington has relaxed their restrictions on muzzle loaders. 

The one you have linked here is legal in WA.

Sorry, I thought I read that but I was mistaken.  I think I am going to buy that Optima then.  I am going to hunt elk during muzzie and buy the multi-season deer tag and hunt muzzie deer as well.  Thanks.
"It is better to have people think you are stupid than post on hunting-washington.com and remove all doubt"

Offline flyfishWA

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
"speak softly and carry a big stick" Theodore Roosevelt

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal