collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Locator calls  (Read 2753 times)

Offline 10Key

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Locator calls
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:41:36 AM »
I have used a crow call over the years as my locator/shock call and I haven't been too happy with it...meaning, the call hasn't located anything. I was out last weekend scouting and I had better results with a mouth-called coyote call than the crow call.

What locator calls are you using and what kind of results are you getting?

By the way, the coyote call I did was at 12am. It was the first time I have heard a turkey in the dead of night react to a shock call, it was pretty cool.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Locator calls
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:47:04 AM »
Dodge ram 1500 2004  One of the four "car doors".   :)

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:13:55 AM »
Quite a few things will set them off in the dark of night.  I remember when I was younger and thought you had to be in the woods at least 3 hrs. before light hunting these birds...lol.  Just the sound of a vehicle coming or going down a gravel road in the distance would fire them up at 3 a.m.  Needless to say....I don't do that anymore...lol.

Different calls for different places, subspecies etc.  Have always had pretty decent luck with a crow call first hour or two of light.  Course like anything else there are crow calls and then there are crow calls.  I use a Gibson Fat Boy most of the time...yes..custom...you get what you pay for in calls.  Sporadic after mid morning.  NE....woodpecker is my personnal favorite....mid day.  Western Washington easterns...none work...roflmao  .  I have used owl calls on easterns only to get owls going....then later a response to the real owls...go figure.

Lots of other choices...coyote howlers, goose call in areas with geese...i.e. Lake Roosevelt etc., peacock...on and on...fog horn in a can....don't laugh it works...lol.

With any locator you have to believe and use it...they are not going to respond every time.  But if you have a bird say 1/2 mile away, and you plan on moving on him....stop an use a locator like a crow call every 75-100 yards.  You may only get a rersponse every other stop or every third stop.  That's all you need though to keep an ear on him before you get close enough to set up and start hen calling.

"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 10:14:17 AM »
That's an idea, it is tough packing a full-size truck back into the woods though  :)

Offline turkey slayer

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Elk Bugle

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 10:38:50 AM »
nothing works better than a coyote or predator call, but i wouldnt use that during the season....

during the season i use peacock and woodpecker calls....very sharp high pitched sounds work really well...

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 10:47:31 AM »
Big plastic coyote howler, loud crappy howler but for locating it is unbeleivable!! :)
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 12:24:31 PM »
I have had the most luck with the peacock for Merriams and Rios, and a crow for Easterns. During season only if nothing else is getting results, I use a "gobble" from a tube call with excellent results. My "flapping" hat against my chest or leg  also works pretty good during season.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 12:28:23 PM »
bottom line is anything that is a sharp contrast to any normal sound just about elicits a response.  Interesting thing was I was on turkeys a bunch the other day.  I odn't know how many I called in.  There were crows and ravens about the whole time.  They didn't respond to them ONCE.  I made the observation in my head.  I coughed once and I had gobbles galore.  (Thanks for the Flu Lil)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]