collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: SICK ELK  (Read 3937 times)

Offline bbarnes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • Mt Saint Helens Rescue .com
SICK ELK
« on: March 17, 2020, 11:21:18 AM »
With all the world wide pandemic that going on ,what about our SICK ELK.Ive ask for years .are they SAFE TO EAT ?Almost TWO DECADES this has been going on,still not ONE ELK has been saved.It begs the question with no updates from WDFW,nothing on the commissions agenda,no resources being put into it,WHERE ARE WE AT ?IN ADDITION no updates of any substance from WSU and no grand opening to the public again WHERE ARE WE AT?....

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: SICK ELK
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 11:29:03 AM »
Did you get the survey email and fill it out, Bruce? I did. It took about 30 minutes.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 11:30:47 AM »
Here's a link to the Hoof Disease page at WSU. There's a link on that page for email updates. https://vmp.vetmed.wsu.edu/research/elk-hoof-disease
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 03:34:21 PM »
The point of the post is the lack of effort by WDFW.The bill 2588 was written and WSU and WDFW Were to work together on this and there not.We continue to hunt the same hunter days as usual.This year there's a reduction in cow tags which means more pressure on Bulls that are non existent.Still there's been no STUDYS done on effect of chemicals on habitats or wildlife.Its time for sportsman to put pressure on WDFW and state reps and the GOVENORS office.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 04:08:44 PM »
From the page that p-man posted a link to above.

http://www.chronline.com/northwest_regional_news/elk-hoof-rot-research-center-nears-completion-captive-study-planned/article_04755eee-fda5-11e9-9cde-5f14f1fd8790.html

Washington State University will open its $1.2 million elk hoof rot disease research center in Pullman before the end of this calendar year, and studies with captive elk are expected to begin by next spring.

Researchers say the experiments at the facility will advance their study of what's causing the disease and can directly inform strategies for managing wild elk herds.

It's a big step forward for a state-funded research program directed at managing the hoof disease that's plagued elk in Southwest Washington -- and across the region -- for years.

http://www.chronline.com/news/exploring-a-potential-root-cause-of-elk-hoof-disease/article_1808c784-0a61-11ea-8677-336734d925d6.html

https://www.columbian.com/news/2019/nov/30/wsu-gets-first-elk-for-hoof-disease-research-program/

WSU gets first elk for hoof disease research program

In the end, it seems like somebody's doing something...

:dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 05:31:58 PM »
Not started yet?  Heck I thought the last 6 months they had been in study?   1.2M dollars???  A fence and a barn would work just fine, they have plenty of labs on campus.   :twocents:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 04:59:21 PM »
Elk are in the pens, it will not be a speedy process.  We should learn a geeat deal, even beyond the hoof disorders.

Offline hal

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 08:41:19 AM »
filled out my survey 2 weeks ago. very well done. the state cares. I've been hunting in many states for 54 years and WA does as good a job as any.

Offline bornhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 10:12:23 AM »
Hope they can do something. The herd of about 30 around my place are all sick. Two legal bulls are almost done. No meat left on their bones. Had to shoot a nice mature cow that could no longer walk and the yotes were starting to feed on her before she was dead. Sad to see such beautiful animals like this.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 10:44:55 AM »
I don’t think you’re looking in the right places. WSU has started- they built a facility & they have some animals. It takes time to do a study.

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 09:25:00 PM »
 Who do you members think wrote the bill 5474 ? The cattle mans association in skagit county Mark Smith and myself finished the process.I know about all of what's going on here my concern is this IS NOT a priority to WDFW.Theres no hoof rot working group anymore and you can't get the new region 5 director to call back on this issue.We need members to start pushing hard to get some action.This is gone on way to long and myself and others pay lots of money to hunt per year.WE NEED ACTION.

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 10:06:47 PM »
filled out my survey 2 weeks ago. very well done. the state cares. I've been hunting in many states for 54 years and WA does as good a job as any.

Where do you feel the state does such a great job ????? I want what your smokin

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 10:16:12 PM »

Where do you feel the state does such a great job ????? I want what your smokin

:yeah:
Last year I hunted/fished Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota & Minnesota, and every single one of them does it better than Washington.

Offline bbarnes

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 11:32:58 PM »
I think they have done a horrible job it's a bait and switch. There job and mission statement is the take care of the Heath and numbers of our fish and wildlife.Can you tell me hunting and fishing are better than it's ever been?Again this is a call to action to put pressure on our WDFW and our local law makers.I have been hunting my whole life never seen such a lack and quality of wildlife.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 05:35:18 PM »
They are doing an excellent job of protecting Mazama pocket gophers in Thurston Co.   :puke:
MAGA!  Again..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal