collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best electric bike?  (Read 23348 times)

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Best electric bike?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 09:39:03 AM »
The specialized bikes are double the price but there’s a bit of difference
Weight they’re 1/2 at about 35-40 pounds instead of 70-80pounds and they have normal size mt bike tires but as the rads and rambos they do not have a no pedal option as you have to pedal no matter what but the bike is night and day different in quality and if your battery does go dead you can actually pedal or push it out easily

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 10:08:22 AM »
Our family has quite a few Ebikes, (diff makes) they are all great and fun to ride but my Specialized Turbo Levo SL Comp is hands down my favorite. The Specialized is the only one that is still fun to ride when the battery goes dead. My Juggernaut Bike Trix is not even an option going up hill :chuckle: you might as well get off and push. Seems like the bigger the tires the harder to ride when the battery goes dead. My Specialized has a 2.3 width tire where the Juggernaut has the fat tire, maybe something to consider.

Also check the warranty on the diff bikes when purchasing cause this could make a diff. Our Juggernaut's are made in Canada and I had a gear go out in it the drive system, took for ever to get repaired and these bikes weren't cheap. I broke the connector from the bike to battery on my Specialized unloading it out of the truck and the local shop fixed it and warrantied it instantly with a brand new battery and it was my fault, not a defect.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2020, 10:23:44 AM »
Those specialized must be the best, but no way will I spend 7,000 on an e bike. Crazy expensive!  But I do appreciate the info.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Bullytrout

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Cca
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2020, 10:26:32 AM »
I built my own from parts bought from Luna cycle a couple of years ago and couldn’t be happier.  They sell converted bikes as well as the parts to convert them yourself.
Not as integrated as one made by specialized or other high end pedal bike manufacturers. the options for doing it yourself tend to exclude torque sensing power distribution and hidden motors/batteries and are higher in weight than one made by a pedal bike co.  This only matters if you want it to behave like a pedal bike with “help”, particularly for recreational trail riding.

I built mine for trapping and grouse hunting with a big motor, huge battery and a wide gear ratio. I have a trailer for it and regularly use it to haul 3 50# beaver and three 12”x18”x36” traps at the same time.  I have had 250# in the trailer on fairly flat roads and you know that it’s behind you but it pulls it just fine.  I don’t think many off the shelf bikes will do that, particularly the hub drives.

Offline 3dvapor

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2020, 10:34:07 AM »
yeah dont buy a biktrix juggernaut fs i can speak to that.  Customer service was really lacking lots of lip service.  They have at the time i bought mine in 2019 a bunch of suspension  issues as well as axle issues.  Bike was returned!

Offline JWBINX

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: LIFE NRA, RMEF
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 11:52:58 AM »
You can buy a Specialized Turbo Levo I believe till April 16th
for about 4600.00 and get a 258.00 rebate.
My friend Peddled up Hollar pass which is 8 to 9 miles and almost
3000 ft elevation on full power and still had 50% power left when done.
Specialized is diffidently best in class. 

Offline wt

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 05:21:26 PM »
Jake, did you get an ebike?

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 09:10:10 AM »
I pulled the trigger on a Rambo roamer, supposed to arrive today and I ordered it on Friday !!   Also got fenders, rear rack and the two wheeled pull cart, can’t wait! I went though a guy at ABO outfitters and got a better deal than the Rambo site.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2020, 10:46:01 AM »
I have been playing around with a neighbor's E bike.  These things are pretty cool.  I am amazed how quiet it is.  Most of the others I see around are hub, chain to pedals, or mid drive with chain.  Those all seem to make a certain amount of noise--like a little hum or whine noise (especially with a chain).  The mid drive with the belt system is quieter than I would've guessed.  One thing I like about it is it can be run slow enough that you can keep your feet off to the sides to stay upright.  With my pedal bike, I have to pedal a certain speed or I weave about...unfortunately that is too fast for looking for deer or elk off to the sides.  The bike really moves up hill.  It has a speed limiter so can't go over 28 mph and is 1000 Watt, about 40 miles on flat ground per battery.  Pretty neat what these things can do.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2020, 10:51:46 AM »
I'm looking to put a mid drive pedal assist in any Trek Marlin.  Any recommendations?

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2020, 06:46:14 PM »
Hey Trophyhunt,  You still happy?
Looking hard at the Rambo... lot of people have told me the mid drive is where its at for climbing hills.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2020, 07:27:56 PM »
Looking hard at the Rambo... lot of people have told me the mid drive is where its at for climbing hills.
Sorry it took this long to reply.  Just took my Rambo up a 6 mile long hill this weekend, I had to pedal all the way.  It did assist me quite a bit, I expected better, but these just aren’t like dirt bikes, you still have to work a bit.  My battery was close to dead by the end of the climb, it was steep most the way.  I didn’t baby it so I could see what it’s got, next time I’ll leave it on a lower power mode to see if the battery last longer.  There is a lot to learn about how to ride ebikes, I’m still learning. 

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2020, 08:06:39 PM »
Sorry it took this long to reply.  Just took my Rambo up a 6 mile long hill this weekend, I had to pedal all the way.  It did assist me quite a bit, I expected better, but these just aren’t like dirt bikes, you still have to work a bit.  My battery was close to dead by the end of the climb, it was steep most the way.  I didn’t baby it so I could see what it’s got, next time I’ll leave it on a lower power mode to see if the battery last longer.  There is a lot to learn about how to ride ebikes, I’m still learning. 

I ended up getting one, its on its way... a buddy has a Rambo 750 that I have been putting a few miles on... road some steep hills last weekend and it went OK, but was surprised how much battery it was using.  I did fine on level 2 but steep long hills are a bigger workout than most people who haven't rode an ebike think.

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2020, 04:46:51 PM »
I own a Rambo 1000xp and Rambo 350 and quiet Kay warrior $1000 app three bikes were purchased off Craigslist for incredible deals over last couple years sure them on hunts and my wife rides the 350 all the time  very well built compared to some I’ve seen my Rambo hauls my kids 4 and 7 in a cart with my exo pack we have archery hunted and rifle hunted into some great areas

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2020, 05:11:07 PM »
Short version, I’d look at Bolton bikes before Rambo. My bike has been in the shop getting it’s rear hub replaced and brakes fixed, 34 miles on it. Battery also had to be replaced, not too impressed with the quality.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal