collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Gold Panning in Washington. (How to stake claims)  (Read 17193 times)

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: Gold Panning in Washington. (How to stake claims)
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 02:09:37 PM »
I had success in Idaho as kid with my grandpa, but none in the north cascades yet.

I know there’s gold where I’ve tried because claims are in the area, and no I wasn’t on them, I like my body without holes in it.😉
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 02:42:46 PM »
I'll be honest, the best part of a mining claim would be the shack that you could build. Make a great place to recreate and hunt from if you ask me...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 03:42:17 PM »
I'll be honest, the best part of a mining claim would be the shack that you could build. Make a great place to recreate and hunt from if you ask me...

This is one of the things I'm having problems learning about, owning a claim even if it's not on your land, vs mining on public lands, et . It's pretty complicated to me but I could just be over thinking and over reading,  that's the problem with the internet these days, TOO much information is just as hard as no info, gotta decipher what's BS
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 04:23:25 PM »
I cant speak about washington, but my FIL had a claim in OR on USFS land it had a shack on it. he was able to purchase it from the holder for a pittance. $400 or something. It still had some gold, but not much, and all that was required was that you work the claim. This is where one of the state or local clubs could be good. you might get  some education on the rules, or the opportunity to purchase a claim that has a nice location but not much color.

I drove through Liberty and some of the dirt roads just to check it out. It would be a cool area for a cabin... where you could "work" some dirt.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 04:31:05 PM »

Unfortunately on USFS land you can not build any structures for 2 reasons the first being it is almost impossible to get a patented claim anymore and second on either Placer or lode claims no permanent structures allowed.  However once you do have a registered claim the 2 week limit does not apply to occupying the area as per 1972 Mining Act
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 04:40:26 PM »

Unfortunately on USFS land you can not build any structures for 2 reasons the first being it is almost impossible to get a patented claim anymore and second on either Placer or lode claims no permanent structures allowed.  However once you do have a registered claim the 2 week limit does not apply to occupying the area as per 1972 Mining Act

Im not knowledgeable about all the rules but there were a lot of permanent buildings in oregon... dunno

Confucius

Offline Nwgunner

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF Sportsmans Alliance
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 06:48:45 PM »
Go pan the sands on Deschutes off of vail rd area.  You will find flour golds.  Look for the recent flood plains loaded with sands and then look for any depressions with some black sands settling.  It isnt much of worth but ya will find some yellow.  Honestly ya wont find much of nothing without proper equipment and good locations.  Nat forest up high for creeks and such?  Get some classifier sifts and buckets n shovel/pick.  Snuffer bottles.  Highbanker or dredge.  I had the Blue bowl to classify fine and it works but is very slow process.  Gold Genie better imop.  Mercury works great but not safe and hard to find, not recommended.  Also have heard Kennedy creek Capitol forest has some gold but we never found any..  I would bet upper deschutes has a pocket somewhere if ya have access.
I have the 888 backpack sluice from GR engineering in australia on it's way here, plus all my pans n such, having a hard time finding nice 5 gallons bucket classifiers though. I dont want plastic ones. Potentially gonna be going all the way to 400 grade. I drive vail road everyday to work so I may have to potentially check that out. Technically my sluice is a gradeless sluice, dump and recover.
https://highbanker.com.au/products/888-backpack-sluice-with-mini-cell-dream-mat
Ive never had an issue with plastic classifiers, I really like them.

Offline Nwgunner

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF Sportsmans Alliance
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2020, 06:54:48 PM »
An interesting channel on YouTube is Darcy Cooper/Brute gold mining.  Just a guy and his young son working his claim with no heavy machinery.

Head east on chinook pass and there are several streams/rivers that you can pan.  Just make sure it is not claimed!

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2020, 09:26:02 PM »
An interesting channel on YouTube is Darcy Cooper/Brute gold mining.  Just a guy and his young son working his claim with no heavy machinery.

Head east on chinook pass and there are several streams/rivers that you can pan.  Just make sure it is not claimed!
I'll check it out for sure, I've been watching alot of Dan Hurd prospecting, he seems to know start to finish and I love his attitude.

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 05:20:27 PM »
Where  an one get a map of current staked claims?

I know if a few claims along Hwy 410 on the east side, but a map of boundaries would be helpful.
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 05:29:20 PM »
https://plso.dnr.wa.gov

This should have a lot of the records, the easiest way to search is by township/range/section. It can be a pain to find what your looking for on there though. I've never seen a single comprehensive map but it would be nice if there was

Offline Jingles

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 06:29:30 PM »
Where  an one get a map of current staked claims?

I know if a few claims along Hwy 410 on the east side, but a map of boundaries would be helpful.

BLM used to have or maybe still does have an online program called LR2000 where you could search for claims by entering T,R,S. I say had or maybe has because since I got my claims have not worried or been interested in finding any others. I have all I can work now don't need any more.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2020, 09:17:32 PM »
So here's a random question. The process to actually file a claim, seems alittle difficult.  Anyone that can dumb it down from me?

Also, is it possible to purchase old placer claims? Maybe someone gave up or lost interest? Not quite sure how it works still. If there is, where can I find them?

On a side note.... Took home one Tupperware bowl of dirt from a river someone recommended me to, Long story short... GOLLDDDD!!!!!!
and a few other colors, either silver or some other type of silver colored metal. Not much but I'd say maybe 20 flakes for a sandwich sized tupperware from a random spot, might be worth getting back to once this quarantine lifts.

Offline Sutherland

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2020, 09:39:00 PM »
Sounds like fun. Go investigate get some more and enjoy being out doors! Good luck

Offline Jingles

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2020, 05:45:28 AM »
So here's a random question. The process to actually file a claim, seems alittle difficult.  Anyone that can dumb it down from me?

Also, is it possible to purchase old placer claims? Maybe someone gave up or lost interest? Not quite sure how it works still. If there is, where can I find them?

On a side note.... Took home one Tupperware bowl of dirt from a river someone recommended me to, Long story short... GOLLDDDD!!!!!!
and a few other colors, either silver or some other type of silver colored metal. Not much but I'd say maybe 20 flakes for a sandwich sized tupperware from a random spot, might be worth getting back to once this quarantine lifts.

Yes you can purchase placer claims from the claim owners and if three is a claim has been declared inactive you can file on it. But you have to act quick because others will
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU