collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New in 2020 The raw pelt with evidence of sex  (Read 14851 times)

Offline Threewolves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
New in 2020 The raw pelt with evidence of sex
« on: March 24, 2020, 08:41:26 PM »
Hey, Did you notice on your spring bear permit the "raw pelt with evidence of sex" requirement. What if you only wanted the meat and not the hide? I did send an e-mail to fish & Game about asking to add "or proof of sex left naturally attached to the meat". I just sent it the other day, so I do not expect a reply for a while.

I ask this this because of the following reasons:

Unless I take a bear significantly bigger than the one I have on the wall or a different color phase I have no interest in the hide.

I am only interested in the hunt and the meat.

I do not want to pack a heavy wet bear hide out of the woods whether it be down out of the hills or up out of a creek if I am not going to use it. Packing any unnecessary does not make sense at age 63.   

The economic impact: The cost of having a black bear hide mounted or rugged out is quite expensive. 
500.00/600.00 and up for a mount. 140.00 to 150.00 a running foot (for example a six foot bear would cost 900.00). Just having a bear hide tanned by Moyle Mink in Idaho costs 157.00 plus shipping (I got a new price list in the mail from them today)

Which brings up the next question: I we cannot add "or proof of sex left naturally attached to the meat" and I do not want the hide tanned, mounted or rugged out what am I supposed to do with a hide? I do not want to pack it out of the woods just to leave it... where? at Fish and Game? in the trash? After I packed it out?

I realize hunting black bear is unique and some people do not want the meat, some don't want the hide.  I usually hunt alone and I am not getting any younger. I already have three bear hides laying around here I really do not need anymore. Like I said above I am only interested in the hunt and the meat.

There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: New in 2020 The raw pelt with evidence of sex
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 09:02:14 PM »
The regs say hide sealing is mandatory.  If thats too much of an inconvenience, hunt fall bear instead i guess.
  This is happening becsuse theyre not getting enough hunter reports, and they want to change that.  The big hurdle keeping us from getting otc spring bear is the misconception among the public and the seattle cat ladies on the commission that spring hunts = massive slaughter of lactating sows.  If we want otc spring bear, we got to prove were not out slaughtering nursing sows.  Thats where cooperating with the hide sealing requirement can be beneficial to us in the long run.  But hey, still no hide sealing requirement for fall bear, so you can always get on it in august.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 09:25:51 PM »
 :yeah:

What Bango said.  :dunno:
Instagram @dmoua_outdoors

Youtube channel DMOUA OUTDOORS
https://www.youtube.com/user/YeXuSsOlDiEr

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 09:28:48 PM »
Hey Bango,

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. Yeah, (because we can get two tags) I am a the point where my wife wants me to kill the first bear I come across for the meat. She says if I want to shoot something bigger use the second tag. We have a butcher shop that smokes the hams up, well like ham. Tastes just like ham.

I think about packing one out of the Cascades, quartered, the head, the hide I got to the top of a ridge and thought screw this I don't need the skull just the tooth and skinned the skull out an left it. Got home and my wife says you should have left the hide too.   

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 10:33:30 PM »
Maybe you explain that you are just terrible at skinning animals, which is why you showed up with your 12"x12" patch of hide (evidence of sex attached, of course) for sealing.  What's that, an extra pound?  Unless you shot the Ron Jeremy of bruins.  But still...
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 08:09:59 AM »
Maybe you explain that you are just terrible at skinning animals, which is why you showed up with your 12"x12" patch of hide (evidence of sex attached, of course) for sealing.  What's that, an extra pound?  Unless you shot the Ron Jeremy of bruins.  But still...

Skillet, you are the man. You give great credence to the mantra "There are no problems, Only solutions". Thanks, but I think I'll just go along with Bango and just skin it and see if WDFW will accept it as a donation. Good looking out though.   

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 08:45:58 AM »
OTC spring bear ,ya right like that's gonna happen.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 08:47:21 AM »
I posted the wdfw link and the data in the thread on this rule change proposal.

Yes we wernt reporting enough for the wdfw  but the difference is statistically insignificant. There are 2 bear MGT units that "overharvested" shows. And just barely. The units are kind of goofy but down around the puget sound was the unit stepping on the line. The North cascades went over the threshold 2x in 10 years.

I'll bet that if we are good and dont kill to many shows we MIGHT have a chance at OTC but our evidence of compliance has to be overwhelming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 01:18:26 PM »
I posted the wdfw link and the data in the thread on this rule change proposal.

Yes we wernt reporting enough for the wdfw  but the difference is statistically insignificant. There are 2 bear MGT units that "overharvested" shows. And just barely. The units are kind of goofy but down around the puget sound was the unit stepping on the line. The North cascades went over the threshold 2x in 10 years.

I'll bet that if we are good and dont kill to many shows we MIGHT have a chance at OTC but our evidence of compliance has to be overwhelming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What youre missing there is that none of the sows taken were checked by wdfw to see if they were nursing cubs, and most of them were fall bears.  The cat ladies on the commission think every sow killed in the spring is nursing.  Pelt checks can prove one way or another.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:53:29 PM by Bango skank »

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 01:22:43 PM »
OTC spring bear ,ya right like that's gonna happen.

Lot of people hsd that same attitude about the fall bear changes, and look how that went.  This can be done, but we need to put the nursing sows argument to rest.  Mandatory hide sealing for a few years is the ONLY way to do that.  Instead of constantly bitching and being a defeatist, maybe actually try to work on getting changes made.  If everybody had your defeatist attitude we would never see any change at all.  Same as your attitude on the cougar proposals.  Were likely going to get a significant harvest quota increase.  Is that going to solve the problem?  Not a chance, but its a start.
  You constantly bitch and moan about whats wrong with wdfw, but any time people try to find solutions and make changes you just run your mouth about that too and say its a waste of time.  You must just enjoy being miserable and having things to complain about since you seem to be so against anybody seeking positive changes.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 01:39:06 PM »

I think you can just save the potatoes and leave the meat. Although it might make a good handle.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 01:44:04 PM »
Bango is right, this should be complied with. This was made known to applicants that it would be an additional requirement in order to hunt spring bear. If you don’t want to comply fully with it, you should not hunt the tag. Just wait until fall season.

Sure it’s added work, and I’m not excited about having to schedule the time to get it checked, but it’s worth it to have the tag in my pocket and hopefully contribute positive data to future bear management.

At least they sent a tooth envelope with the tag too... wish they did that for fall bear. I’m sure even more people would submit teeth for it if they provided each bear license with it.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 01:49:58 PM »

At least they sent a tooth envelope with the tag too... wish they did that for fall bear. I’m sure even more people would submit teeth for it if they provided each bear license with it.

Youre right, they should just provide envelopes with the bear tags, at least any ordered online, dont know how easy that would be to make happen with in store purchases.  But in the mean time, its not hard to get an envelope.  Simply call your regional wdfw office (phone number is in the regs pamphlet) and ask them to mail a tooth envelope to you.  They will mail one to you free of charge, and its a postage paid envelope.  It is effortless and free.  You can also call and get envelopes for deer or elk teeth, still free even though its not mandatory.  Get your buck aged and provide wdfw with better data.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 02:14:55 PM »
You could sell the bear hide and get something for your work in packing out since you don't want it

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 02:23:16 PM »
This was made known to applicants that it would be an additional requirement in order to hunt spring bear. If you don’t want to comply fully with it, you should not hunt apply for the tag.

FTFY

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal