collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey season shut down chances.  (Read 66688 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Turkey season shut down chances.
« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2020, 09:05:48 AM »
If Dan-o  adhered to what he said he'd do (and I have no doubts he would) then the risk he poses to E.WA county is nill.

but he's one of 1000's,  most would at a minimum... hit up a grocery store for some food item they forgot to pack, if they packed much. 

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2020, 09:10:22 AM »

i would.

I would travel to E. Washington and hunt where I haven't been within 300 yards of anyone the last 8 years.

I would camp in my rig.

I can gas up here with mask and gloves, and will bring my own food.

does that seem unwise?
If so, where am I adding risk to myself or others?

I totally understand your logic but for me, I will be sheltering in place because it is the right thing to do. It is one turkey season, maybe not even all of it so going out to the woods to me, is not even a option.  :twocents:

Hey Vandeman, I'm not trying to argue..........   I am trying to understand.
I respect what you bring to the forum, so maybe help me out here?

I'm looking for why I should stay indoors if I can effectively "socially distance" myself while turkey hunting.

I think I get the shelter in place thing........ maybe.

We walk our dogs and have managed to stay 20+ yards from neighbors.
But walking in my neighborhood seems like way more exposure than driving in my car to the wood where I am never close to anybody.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

I respect you and your thoughts as well. I am just a believer that if we all limited as many variables as possible, we will be better off as a whole. You getting sick or getting someone else is extremely low by doing what you said, but its even lower if you don't.

I understand that hunting/fishing is our passions and we live for it, trust me, I totally get it and feel it to my soul. With that said, I am trying to flip the negative into a positive in two ways. First is knowing that at least I am doing MY part in trying to help the current situation we are facing. Second is that I am trying to use this time to better myself at home by reading more, finishing chores that I have otherwise put off etc.

I think its all about our perspective and how we view what we are doing. It sounds cheesy but I really do believe that.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #167 on: March 30, 2020, 09:11:56 AM »
If Dan-o  adhered to what he said he'd do (and I have no doubts he would) then the risk he poses to E.WA county is nill.

but he's one of 1000's,  most would at a minimum... hit up a grocery store for some food item they forgot to pack, if they packed much. 

This is the issue. 1 guy can say he'll do that, but the simple fact of the matter is not 100% of the people would.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline MR5x5

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2020, 09:17:19 AM »
Since it is a hunting forum I'll splain like this...

It's like calling a flock of geese.  You know, you are not calling the flock, you are calling a single bird.  Get him to commit and the rest will follow and the killing will begin.

I suspect that is what will happen as soon as people start leaking out into the woods.  Ultimately it will result in a lot of people making a lot of bad decisions.

I spend a lot of time in the Palouse every year hunting properties where I have become friends with the landowners.  One heck of a lot of those landowners are old timers.

I for one will not be going over for the opener at the risk of contributing to the heard stampeding and put my friends in real danger over a g-damn turkey.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2020, 09:22:53 AM »
Truck is all fueled up just sitting around and I can make it to the turkeys and back about 5 times before I'd have to get more fuel. I don't have to stop for a single thing and I avoid people like the black plague even before covid-19  :chuckle I'll be turkey hunting.I don't know where some of you guys turkey hunt but if you are encountering that many folks I'd go looking for a new spot because that's not normal  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #170 on: March 30, 2020, 09:27:01 AM »
Truck is all fueled up just sitting around and I can make it to the turkeys and back about 5 times before I'd have to get more fuel. I don't have to stop for a single thing and I avoid people like the black plague even before covid-19  :chuckle I'll be turkey hunting.I don't know where some of you guys turkey hunt but if you are encountering that many folks I'd go looking for a new spot because that's not normal  :twocents:

Even if WDFW says it is closed and illegal to hunt Turkeys?

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #171 on: March 30, 2020, 09:27:34 AM »
So here is what I am thinking.  I am wishing that the season doesn't get closed down.  My thought 3 weeks ago was I am going no matter way.  Where are you going to hunt? Most public land is closed down.  NPS, USFS, DNR and WDFW.  Unless your have your own private land.  I wouldn't want to go on someone else's private land that I have permission on.  Then you are opening the chance or exposure to them or the other way around.  I have cancelled my hunts.  I was taking out 2 veterans first time turkey hunters and a husband and wife that has never turkey hunted before.  I also had private property to hunt on.  After talking with the land owners and all others involved they understood why not going is probably and good idea.  Traveling 300 miles one way I just feel that you are going to interact with someone along the way.  My thought was don't be that guy.  The property owner was pretty happy that we weren't coming out.  The motel I was staying at had no problem with cancelling my reservation.  I don't think the risk is worth the reward right now.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline scooby

• Tracker
  • Groups: Trout Unlimited, BHA, NWTF
« Reply #172 on: March 30, 2020, 09:28:55 AM »

i would.

I would travel to E. Washington and hunt where I haven't been within 300 yards of anyone the last 8 years.

I would camp in my rig.

I can gas up here with mask and gloves, and will bring my own food.

does that seem unwise?
If so, where am I adding risk to myself or others?

I totally understand your logic but for me, I will be sheltering in place because it is the right thing to do. It is one turkey season, maybe not even all of it so going out to the woods to me, is not even a option.  :twocents:

Hey Vandeman, I'm not trying to argue..........   I am trying to understand.
I respect what you bring to the forum, so maybe help me out here?

I'm looking for why I should stay indoors if I can effectively "socially distance" myself while turkey hunting.

I think I get the shelter in place thing........ maybe.

We walk our dogs and have managed to stay 20+ yards from neighbors.
But walking in my neighborhood seems like way more exposure than driving in my car to the wood where I am never close to anybody.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Staying in your neighborhood keeps whatever potential you have for spreading it to your neighborhood, and out of whatever eastern WA county you plan to hunt in.

That's totally the main point. Others are that while I'm sure YOU (and a lot of other folks on this board) are positive that they have everything they need to jump in the truck and head to the woods without any extra stops...most hunters and fishers aren't ready to do that. It will require an EXTRA trip to the grocery store, an EXTRA trip to whatever outfitter is open now, an EXTRA trip to the gas station, an EXTRA trip(s) in to rest area to take a leak, and then end up in an area where they are not only spreading but also receiving any possible virus that they never needed to.
On top of that, it's probably not gonna happen, but what if you get in a car wreck? What if you stick an arrow through your hand or blow out a knee? You really want to go to the hospital right now? I sure as hell don't. Not only will you be taking available medical resources away from people who need them, but you're gonna end up in an emergency room somewhere sweating your ass off every time you take a breath. Or, even WORSE, I don't want to hear once I get camp set up and I'm out in the turkey woods that my wife has a cough and is getting nervous about how warm she's feeling and I'm at least 8 hours away from getting home. Also, on the flip side of that, I don't want to be 8 hours away from home waking up to gobbles in a cold sweat having a hard time breathing and I have to hit the SOS on my Garmin knowing the whole damn time I should have just stayed home.
The reality is that for everyone one dude who says "well *censored* I can just fish/hunt in the land across the street by myself, this closure is stupid" there are probably a hundred (maybe a thousand+) dudes who want to hunt as much as they do who need to make at least one or two extra trips to do it as well, and it's all so unnecessary in the grand scheme of things.
I'm a liberal-ass west-sider but I care for folks on the east as much as I do here, and I'm not going to bring my germs and extra traffic to your great part of the state unless I know it's safe. For me AND for you. I've seen the hospital in Republic, and I bet they are all great at their jobs there, but I don't want to put people there or end up there myself when I could have just stayed the hell home.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2020, 09:31:11 AM »
Again...its not guys like you and dan-o

It's the throng of others who like an Acorn burger and a few beers,  folks who stay at Bennys motel, people that buy groceries at Super 1 and shop walmart for a 6th box of turkey shot shells.

Its for people who had no idea they were infected with covid-19 when they left the westside 3 days ago now they're out in the woods wondering why they can't catch their breath and dont feel well so the next morning it gets worse and they cant drive back home, so they plug up an icu bed in a 3 bed hospital that doesn't have a respirator.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2020, 09:33:23 AM »

Even if WDFW says it is closed and illegal to hunt Turkeys?

Well of course not.  That wasn't the question.
The question was if it was left open would you go.....

I guess the big question is.
If they leave it open as it sits now are you going to travel to hunt?
Significant travel not advised
What I'm saying is how many would travel even after they have told you not too ,If Turkey season was left open.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2020, 09:33:38 AM »
Again...its not guys like you and dan-o

It's the throng of others who like an Acorn burger and a few beers,  folks who stay at Bennys motel, people that buy groceries at Super 1 and shop walmart for a 6th box of turkey shot shells.

Its for people who had no idea they were infected with covid-19 when they left the westside 3 days ago now they're out in the woods wondering why they can't catch their breath and dont feel well so the next morning it gets worse and they cant drive back home, so they plug up an icu bed in a 3 bed hospital that doesn't have a respirator.

:tup: well said

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2020, 09:46:57 AM »
Thanks for keeping it civil.

Some of you are making headway in convincing me not to go.

*censored*.      >:(
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2020, 09:52:06 AM »
If it remains open dan-o then by all means, do your thing. 1000's of others will be doing theirs...I don't see why you should be singled out when you said you'd not have contact with snyone?

I would suggest that people dont go door knocking though seeking permission to hunt.

Im just debating the probability of a shutdown and reasonings behind it, and don't wish to single out a  HW'r or guilt them into not going cause many others will if its open..so I dont see the point in guilting 1 or 2 HW'rs out of their fun.

Offline MR5x5

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2020, 09:54:47 AM »
Just think about how good it will be when they open it back up in May!

Birds won't be all tight beaked due to a million people in the woods doing pre-season locating.  Hens will be nested tight.  Bachelor groups on prowl looking to break quarantine.

It's going to be epic!

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2020, 09:55:14 AM »

Truck breaks and needs a tow?  Now you are talking with a two truck driver. Or worse someone plows into your truck and you end up in a Spokane hospital where my son works and you are another stress on their resources. Or out buying extra gas for your trip. Just saying that there are unforeseen events that happen when someone travels. Less so if you are staying put at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU