collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey season shut down chances.  (Read 66701 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Turkey season shut down chances.
« Reply #195 on: March 30, 2020, 11:21:23 AM »
I see that there is a wealth of opinions on this topic. My plan is to hunt turkeys as usual with proper caution and planning to avoid potentially affecting other people. Spring turkey hunting is the pinnacle of my entire year and has always been my favorite hunting.

I would be devastated if the season was cancelled or suspended. :twocents:

Meanwhile, other states are encouraging people to get outdoors to hunt to get away from others. In some cases they are even waiving license and camping fees. Leave it to liberal WA to make headlines as the first state to cancel fishing, and now potentially turkey season. I understand everyones concerns given the circumstances, but cancelling turkey season is a solid no.

The part in bold sums it up nicely.  This is why an unenforced quarantine won't work entirely, it may help "flatten the curve" to a degree but it will not stop this virus.   

All this is is training getting us ready for more and more restrictions, or if we're collectively "very good little children" perhaps we can flatten the curve enough for our healthcare system to keep up, which is the intention of this order.   If people wholesale violate the stay in place order then our numbers of sick will climb, if it climbs to the point the healthcare is seriously overwhelmed then more draconian measures will be necessary. 

but everyone is worried about that "I"

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2020, 11:30:10 AM »
How many of you guys hunt the panhandle and would still come if it remains open here?
Just tend your own and live.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2020, 11:31:15 AM »
I think what annoys me the most about all of this is the hypocrisy of it all. I know this is the internet so everyone will swear they are in full on lock down but I have to spend 9hrs a day out and about and I see all the people in and out of stores all day long. So it's ok for people to expose our food service workers because 99.9% of people can't go more than 2 days without a trip to the store but I can be labeled selfish because I want to drive 26 min up the pass to spend some alone time with the turkeys? I'd like all the pots to meet the kettle. Start taking my safety and the safety of my coworkers seriously before you ask us to do the same. Living in those glass houses must be nice  :twocents:

This is why this shelter in place order is going to drag on and on, until eventually literally no one is obeying it.

Then what?
Covid-19 runs its course and what be will be.

*This next part is not directed at anyone specifically*

I'll say it again for the 9,000th time. I FULLY UNDERSTAND why the closures on fishing and I assume hunting are needed. In fact, I know more than most because I'm really out in it. What I am saying is every time you go to the store, any store, for your "essentials" you are putting people at risk of exposure but it's ok because its "essential". Folks can say they don't take unnecessary trips but its bull crap! Stores are breaking records left and right. The line at Costco this morning at 0730 was 30+ people long already. Everyone is doing projects around the house that end up with amazon orders or trips to the hardware store. You are forcing those people to have to be out. That's every bit as selfish as me wanting to go to the hills turkey hunting which will effect zero people besides myself. I haven't needed a tow truck in 22 years of driving and this would be no exception. I get that I have the luxury of being close to birds and that most don't and because of that a ban is coming. But before anyone labels anyone else "selfish" take a long look in the mirror and assess your own actions first. Your trip to the store for "essentials" (I use that term VERY loosely) has a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH greater risk of human contact than my trip to the hills.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #198 on: March 30, 2020, 11:37:03 AM »
How many of you guys hunt the panhandle and would still come if it remains open here?

I intend to.  Ill be bringing all my own food and water, sleeping in my truck, pumping gas a couple times and thats it.  The only exception will be if i have to get a bear, cat or dog sealed.

I was going to head that way for cats and dogs over a week ago but decided not to for the time being, see how things develop.  But when spring bear rolls around, if its not closed, im going.

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #199 on: March 30, 2020, 11:44:03 AM »

I intend to.  Ill be bringing all my own food and water, sleeping in my truck, pumping gas a couple times and thats it.  The only exception will be if i have to get a bear, cat or dog sealed.

I think Idaho will keep it open. They've actually made some statements since our lockdown that fishing and hunting seasons are in fact still open.

Before Idaho's lockdown but after Washingtons I had a shed trip planned but I would need to park in WA and paddle back across into Idaho for a 2 night trip. I was planning the same, full tank for there and back, pack my food etc... I ended up cancelling because I was worried about leaving my idaho plated truck in Wa while I was playing in Idaho knowing they were locked down and not too happy about it. Something to think about I guess.

There was quite a bit of recreation traffic from Wa this weekend in the Coeur D Alene area, downtown was a ghost town but lots of bike racks and kayaks coming in on the interstate.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #200 on: March 30, 2020, 11:54:30 AM »
I'll say it again for the 9,000th time. I FULLY UNDERSTAND why the closures on fishing and I assume hunting are needed. In fact, I know more than most because I'm really out in it. What I am saying is every time you go to the store, any store, for your "essentials" you are putting people at risk of exposure but it's ok because its "essential". Folks can say they don't take unnecessary trips but its bull crap! Stores are breaking records left and right. The line at Costco this morning at 0730 was 30+ people long already. Everyone is doing projects around the house that end up with amazon orders or trips to the hardware store. You are forcing those people to have to be out. That's every bit as selfish as me wanting to go to the hills turkey hunting which will effect zero people besides myself. I haven't needed a tow truck in 22 years of driving and this would be no exception. I get that I have the luxury of being close to birds and that most don't and because of that a ban is coming. But before anyone labels anyone else "selfish" take a long look in the mirror and assess your own actions first. Your trip to the store for "essentials" (I use that term VERY loosely) has a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH greater risk of human contact than my trip to the hills.

Well the deal with Costco is presumably they're from the local area

If people drive all the way across the state to turkey hunt, that's a different thing

and for the 9,000th time, folks like you and Dan-o don't concern me,  I know you'll do what you say and the risk is literally zero you'll bring covid-19 with you.

it's all the other guys I'm worried about.  It's not about YOU.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #201 on: March 30, 2020, 11:56:54 AM »

Well the deal with Costco is presumably they're from the local area

If people drive all the way across the state to turkey hunt, that's a different thing
it's a very fine line in my opinion.  Exposing others is exposing others. This stuff is statewide already.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #202 on: March 30, 2020, 11:59:00 AM »
It's community spread vs point to point spread.

If people have smaller bubbles of contact with others it can be tracked and traced, people can be informed "your uncle Si has tested positive" and down the chain it goes. 

with community spread on one knows where they got it or from whom. 

In Stevens CO right now we have (2) cases, and those cases are well known to the medical establishment and local LE,  they know where and whom they have contact with and can shelter those people to prevent further spread.   Thus far it hasn't hit major shopping areas,  if we continue this path Stevens CO can have a fighting chance of not having community spread. 

but you throw 1000's of turkey hunters and people fishing into the mix....

control is lost

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #203 on: March 30, 2020, 12:06:00 PM »

If people have smaller bubbles of contact with others it can be tracked and traced, people can be informed "your uncle Si has tested positive" and down the chain it goes. 

once again, I get it. Many many many people DO NOT travel out of community to turkey hunt though. Like I said, I get why they will close it but that doesn't mean I like it and if they don't close it I will still go and will continue to reject the label of selfish by the masses that continue to treat myself, my family, and my coworkers with the same selfishness. That is my point. I'm not arguing the reasoning behind the closures.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #204 on: March 30, 2020, 12:11:01 PM »

once again, I get it. Many many many people DO NOT travel out of community to turkey hunt though. Like I said, I get why they will close it but that doesn't mean I like it and if they don't close it I will still go and will continue to reject the label of selfish by the masses that continue to treat myself, my family, and my coworkers with the same selfishness. That is my point. I'm not arguing the reasoning behind the closures.

I think we're in agreement.   Did you read the part where I said I think it's wrong to guilt a small handful of HW'rs when the masses will still come if the season is open?

If they don't close it,  I hope you have a terrific season and enjoy your getaway!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #205 on: March 30, 2020, 12:12:18 PM »

So you keep using the term "selfish" which is the term I used a week or so ago. Are you referring to me and what I'm doing? Just curious.  I'm still going to work but I haven't been anywhere aside from a grocery store in almost 2 weeks. 2 weeks ago we went to the gardening part of Lowe's 9 miles from my house, but didn't go inside the store. I don't even leave work once I get here till it's time for me to go home. I walk my dog in my neighborhood every night, about a mile round trip.
That's my life right now.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2020, 12:15:40 PM »
I'm not the masses and have agreed with you about this and I'm pissed that my other daughters work place is still open when it is deemed non essential also no one has addressed the scenario if my grandson getting it because someone was selfish.
The point is someone sees you or Dan o hunting and I know the chance of anyone seeing you guys is nill but then they say hey he's hunting guess I will as well and so on and so on
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2020, 12:25:17 PM »
Another thing that blows my mind is the justification of “well if they’re doing the bad thing then I can do this bad thing and break the rules too!”

Two wrongs don’t make a right. Is it BS that these idiots are out there doing what they do? Absolutely. Does that give me the freedom to go and do what I want to because they’re doing it too? Nope.

Well officer the guys here in Capitol forest are poaching so I figured I could too

The guy was dumping his trash and saving money, I figured I could too

This guy just got rip roaring drunk and left the bar driving himself home, I figured I could too.

All of those examples, they could argue that what they’re doing isn’t harming anyone. I mean, if the guy poaching never sees anything no harm right? If the guy dumping dumps it somewhere no one goes no harm right? If the drunk guy is an alcoholic with a high tolerance it’s probably not the first time driving while intoxicated, he might make it home okay without incident.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #208 on: March 30, 2020, 12:27:24 PM »
I'm not the masses and have agreed with you about this and I'm pissed that my other daughters work place is still open when it is deemed non essential also no one has addressed the scenario if my grandson getting it because someone was selfish.
The point is someone sees you or Dan o hunting and I know the chance of anyone seeing you guys is nill but then they say hey he's hunting guess I will as well and so on and so on

If it's open, they're going to come.   

It doesn't really matter whats said on HW about it,  they'll come, and the vast majority of those who come won't have heard of HW let alone have an account here.     

So why single out a handful of low risk guys on HW?   

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #209 on: March 30, 2020, 12:28:30 PM »
Another thing that blows my mind is the justification of “well if they’re doing the bad thing then I can do this bad thing and break the rules too!”

Two wrongs don’t make a right. Is it BS that these idiots are out there doing what they do? Absolutely. Does that give me the freedom to go and do what I want to because they’re doing it too? Nope.

Well officer the guys here in Capitol forest are poaching so I figured I could too

The guy was dumping his trash and saving money, I figured I could too

This guy just got rip roaring drunk and left the bar driving himself home, I figured I could too.

All of those examples, they could argue that what they’re doing isn’t harming anyone. I mean, if the guy poaching never sees anything no harm right? If the guy dumping dumps it somewhere no one goes no harm right? If the drunk guy is an alcoholic with a high tolerance it’s probably not the first time driving while intoxicated, he might make it home okay without incident.

That's human nature. This issue isn't going to change human nature.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU