collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey season shut down chances.  (Read 66675 times)

Offline SHED HEAD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Turkey season shut down chances.
« Reply #540 on: April 27, 2020, 02:55:42 PM »
May 5th..... hopefully you live near the turkey woods!!

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #541 on: April 27, 2020, 02:56:41 PM »
It's going to be a s show and Inslee will shut it down again. He wants day trips, hunt with people you live with bring your own food, if you can't meet these so called rules you money and points will be refunded.

Offline klickman

• Scout
« Reply #542 on: April 27, 2020, 02:57:34 PM »
Yep, toms only. It’s officially open next Tuesday. I’ll be chasing the birds next weekend. Finally. It’s gonna be a bit tougher since to peak of breeding is over. Ambush tactics.

the turkey woods close to Seattle will be crowed. :yike: :yike: 
Tule, the other white meat.

Online Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #543 on: April 27, 2020, 03:11:12 PM »
I'll be making a day trip about then.   ;)   Got some trees that need some love   :tree1:   :hunter: :camp: :brew:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF, PF, TU, DU, BCWF, NRA, BCH&A
« Reply #544 on: April 27, 2020, 03:17:04 PM »
WDFW plans to reopen some outdoor recreation in a phased approach following the state’s efforts to limit the spread of coronavirus.

The reopening will occur on Tuesday May 5, for local day-use only recreation.  It applies to all state-managed parks, wildlife areas, recreation land, and boat launches. However, it may take several days for all gates to be unlocked and sites to be serviced at remote areas due to limited staff capacity.

It includes most recreational fishing and hunting (per 2019-2020 license requirements and regulations – check your pamphlet):

All freshwater fisheries open, except Columbia River salmon will open as soon as we can get monitoring staff returned to regular field work, which is required under the federal Endangered Species Act as well as obtaining concurrency with Oregon – check our website.
Puget Sound (Marine Areas 5-13) open, except salmon, halibut, shrimp and intertidal shellfish will open as soon as we can get monitoring staff returned to regular field work, which is required under the federal Endangered Species Act and other agreements – check our website.
Coastal saltwater (Marine Areas 1-4) fishing and shellfish harvesting remains closed, after consultation with local health departments.
Local hunting for turkey and spring bear will reopen. Due to breeding behaviors and to protect newly hatched poults, the spring turkey season will close on May 31 and has not been extended. However, all spring bear seasons will be extended until June 30.
WDFW is asking hunters and anglers to enjoy these outdoor activities only if they can do so locally, while also practicing physical distancing.

The Department will not be hosting any formal opening day events for lowland lakes this year. WDFW hatchery staff have continued to stock lakes throughout the closure. Anglers are asked to practice appropriate physical distancing at a given location, and avoid crowding on banks or at boat ramps.

To help discourage travel, the department is temporarily suspending the sale of non-resident fishing licenses but will honor licenses already purchased.

Refund Policies will be flexible if no opportunity to fish or hunt occurred.  WDFW will also be looking at season extensions and bag limits.

------------------------------------------------BEFORE YOU GO-------------------------------------------------------------

Check what’s open. While many state-managed land destinations are open for day-use, other local and federal land may still be closed.

Opt for day trips close to home. Please buy gear and supplies from stores within your own community and enjoy the outdoors with immediate household members only.

Travel prepared. Visitors may find reduced or limited restroom services as staff begin the process to reopen facilities at wildlife areas and water access sites. Bring your own soap, water, hand sanitizer, and toilet paper with you as well as a mask or bandana to cover your face.

Avoid large crowds. Be prepared to go somewhere else or come back another time if your destination looks crowded.

Please pack out what you pack in. Take any garbage with you, including disposable gloves and masks.

The Department is encouraging local county health department to stay in contact with WDFW regional management regarding any concerns; and notes that the Department may also act to close areas during localized future outbreaks to discourage travel or congestion-related spread of the virus.

-Senator Lynda Wilson
Keep Calm Gobble On

Offline Fatherof5

• Scout
« Reply #545 on: April 27, 2020, 03:17:26 PM »
With a full tank of diesel, and enough coffee I can make a killer "day trip". There's still 24 hrs in a day right??  :chuckle:

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #546 on: April 27, 2020, 03:18:24 PM »
With a full tank of diesel, and enough coffee I can make a killer "day trip". There's still 24 hrs in a day right??  :chuckle:
That's the American spirit!!!!

Online Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #547 on: April 27, 2020, 03:24:34 PM »
That's the American spirit!!!!

:tup:

Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #548 on: April 27, 2020, 03:34:08 PM »
Why wait till the 5th? What’s wrong with right now..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #549 on: April 27, 2020, 03:38:07 PM »
Why wait till the 5th? What’s wrong with right now..

Something about a light switch, you can turn it off quickly but it takes time to turn it back on.  My light switches work very differently, flip on, flip off, so I can't offer any more information on that.

I think it was something about needing time to get gates open, restrooms up, general maintenance at the many sites.  There is going to be a flood of people and I think they want all of the places somewhat ready.  City, county, there are plenty of places that will be impacted other than WDFW sites.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #550 on: April 27, 2020, 03:38:43 PM »
Because the virus has agreed that after May 5th, it will not be as dangerous.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #551 on: April 27, 2020, 03:55:52 PM »
Looks like I won't be turkey hunting this year then. I can't do day trips to any of my turkey hunting spots and where I camp is on state land granted there is no one else that would camp by me since the camping areas in these locations are only big enough for a single truck. I'm so bummed turkey hunting is my favorite  :'(

Online salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #552 on: April 27, 2020, 05:01:49 PM »
My hunting area is in the Chief Joseph unit, and I'm in Puget Sound. Far too long a drive for a day trip. If I was to park very judiciously and backpack in to one of my places with a tent and bag (to ensure social distancing) what do you think my chances would be of WDFW enforcement issuing me a big fine?

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #553 on: April 27, 2020, 05:51:37 PM »
My hunting area is in the Chief Joseph unit, and I'm in Puget Sound. Far too long a drive for a day trip. If I was to park very judiciously and backpack in to one of my places with a tent and bag (to ensure social distancing) what do you think my chances would be of WDFW enforcement issuing me a big fine?
Less than 1% chance

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #554 on: April 27, 2020, 06:17:39 PM »
Less than 1% chance

It’s actually 3-4% but with so many unknowns that number is likely below .01%
Just tend your own and live.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]