collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Confusion about entering multi-season and quality deer/elk draws  (Read 1556 times)

Offline CougHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
General Problem:

I need to get better about entering draws for special hunts, but I repeatedly experience difficulties in affording it and wading through regulatory/logistical complications.

Backstory:

I missed out on entering for spring bear because I didn't yet buy my deer/elk/bear/cougar/small game tag, which I didn't buy because I didn't know if I want to hunt modern or muzzleloader deer/elk or if I'll be fortunate enough to draw a multi-season tag. I could have just bought the bear tag and then entered, which is probably the best approach, but I didn't want to miss out on the discount or box myself into choosing a deer/elk hunt season prematurely.

Current confusion:

I'm going to enter for a multi-season deer tag. Looks like I can just straight up buy that application without having to purchase a deer tag. Problem is that I'd also like to put in for a quality deer application. This means that I have to commit to a deer tag, but I don't want to commit to the type of hunt yet. If I could wait out the draw and wasn't picked for quality or multi-season, I'd end up buying a deer/elk/bear/cougar/small game combined. Hard to afford it at the moment though.

Similar story for elk this year too. I'm hoping to try an elk hunt for the first time, although in this case, I'd like to just put in for quality elk.

Potential solution(?):

I guess that I just have to buy a modern or muzzleloader deer tag for now; let's say muzzleloader. Then, I could be extremely lucky and draw the quality deer tag and hunt quality muzzleloader.

But far more likely, I won't draw the quality tag but could end up drawing multi-season. If I got the multi-season, I just wasted $50 on a deer tag just so I could spend $6 to get a point for quality deer.

What would you do in my situation? Financially, I think that all I can do is skip quality deer this time and hope for a multi-season draw. I really hate not entering the draw, but I also don't want to waste $50 just to get 1 point.

Do you guys struggle with this? What's your general approach? What would you recommend for my situation?

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: Confusion about entering multi-season and quality deer/elk draws
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 03:18:37 PM »
You can wait until you find out if you drew multi season before you put in for quality hunts, so that problem is solved.

As for not buying the bear tag singly, you could have bought your big game combo and just picked a weapon for deer and elk.  Then, before the season starts, you could have traded in your deer or elk tag for a different weapon, or if drawn, multi.  They let you do that.  So that problem is solved too.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 03:21:21 PM »
"But far more likely, I won't draw the quality tag but could end up drawing multi-season. If I got the multi-season, I just wasted $50 on a deer tag just so I could spend $6 to get a point for quality deer."

Thsts not how that works.  The "$50 deer tag" is actually your license cost, not tag cost, general tag comes free with license.  If you draw multi you still have to pay that money, plus the cost of the multi season tag.

Offline CougHunter

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 03:31:28 PM »
Thanks! That really cleared up a lot of the confusion.

I somehow thought that the multi-season and quality draws had to be entered by 3/31.

From my understanding of your response, it seems like in the future I should just pick a tentative weapon for deer/elk and just go ahead and buy the combo deer/elk/bear/cougar/small game licenses. From there, I'm able to change weapons if I'd like before the hunting season or switch tags based on draw outcomes (I was also somewhat conflating a tag with a license).

That definitely gives me a lot more options and prevents me from eating license costs. Really appreciate the help!

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 03:35:05 PM »
Thanks! That really cleared up a lot of the confusion.

I somehow thought that the multi-season and quality draws had to be entered by 3/31.

From my understanding of your response, it seems like in the future I should just pick a tentative weapon for deer/elk and just go ahead and buy the combo deer/elk/bear/cougar/small game licenses. From there, I'm able to change weapons if I'd like before the hunting season or switch tags based on draw outcomes (I was also somewhat conflating a tag with a license).

That definitely gives me a lot more options and prevents me from eating license costs. Really appreciate the help!

Yup, buy the combo in time to apply for spring bear, and if ya need to trade in a deer or elk tag for a different weapon or a multi, you can do that.

Cant even apply for deer / elk etc special hunts (besides multi permits) until april 20th.  Either way, multi season results are out well before the deadline to apply for quality hunts.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 03:48:08 PM »
You can also buy the combo without selecting a weapon and just not pick up your tags until you decide later on. That way you don’t have to worry about exchanging them.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 03:51:23 PM »
You can also buy the combo without selecting a weapon and just not pick up your tags until you decide later on. That way you don’t have to worry about exchanging them.

Weird, ive tried thst before snd it wouldnt let me complete the purchase without the tags.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 03:58:09 PM »
Don't apply for any special permits yet because you're not 100% sure what is going to be available or what the hunt #'s are or anything. Wait till the reg's come out!

Apply for MS, then apply for the special permits later.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Remnar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 04:04:43 PM »

:yeah:Done it many times .

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 04:07:29 PM »

:yeah: This is the best way to do it!!!

Offline CougHunter

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 06:10:46 PM »
One other question that came to mind: Let's say that I end up drawing multi-season deer (just purchased this one). Can I still put in for quality deer just to build points, or do I just have to accept multi-season deer and not put in for quality?

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 06:16:34 PM »
You can put in for quality, and having multi enables you to put in for mf, muzzy and archery hunts.  And with multi elk you can put in for all weapon types plus both east and west.

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 06:34:57 PM »

Weird, ive tried thst before snd it wouldnt let me complete the purchase without the tags.

The one time I purchased a combo with deer was at a Wal-Mart and they let me buy the license without picking the tag. Maybe it doesn't work online but can be completed in store without a tag?
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]