collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What do you look for in a local archery pro shop?  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Sutherland

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: What do you look for in a local archery pro shop?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 09:42:11 PM »
All good input here everyone! Hard to find a decent bow shop around Wenatchee... Where have other people had luck?

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 09:59:28 PM »
What's everyone look for in choosing an archery pro shop?  Do you do most of your shopping online or in store?
Initiative, people who go above and beyond to get parts in or get your items serviced. I typically only let a very few people even touch my bows. Rod from puyallup sportsman warehouse being my first choice because were good friends, then wade from brightstrings, then probably you at your shop honestly. :dunno:
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 10:01:34 PM »
You thinking of doing your own thing are yah.....

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 11:21:24 PM »
I'd say first impressions go a long way based off a recent experience.  Visited a shop in the Spokane Valley, walked-in to a younger crowd of employees all sitting around on their cell phones.  Had to announce myself to be acknowledged, not a good start.  Ended up being helped by probably the least experienced of them all, which was fine as I was willing to work with him and the young man did great.  We struggled a bit with the D-loop, but it was ok because he was intent on making it right and he was building experience/confidence.  It was a bit unfortunate because he wasn't getting any input from the more seasoned guys, still busy with phones.  We finished up, and after I flung a few through paper we called it good.  I will be using different pro shops in the future, but hope that kid sticks it out and ends up with people around him who will invest the time into making him the great tech that he is capable of being.

you dont say  :chuckle:  I cant believe that place has been open that long.

Online dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 10:40:50 AM »
A shop that has the a good bow selection to shoot and check out so I can buy it there and take it home to work on in my own shop. Because archery shops are for those who aren’t that interested in a very well tuned bow that’s set up properly for them.

In general archery shops suck depending on your expectations.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 12:44:25 PM »
A shop that has the a good bow selection to shoot and check out so I can buy it there and take it home to work on in my own shop. Because archery shops are for those who aren’t that interested in a very well tuned bow that’s set up properly for them.

I can appreciate the sentiment. Although I find a lot wrong with the statements.

I do agree EXPECTATION is the biggest factor in determining what will make YOU happy. If your expectation is to set your bow up exactly the way you saw it done on youtube ( whichever one of the many different ways you saw it) and you have the time and inclination to tinker with different timing settings, grip positions, D-loop tie ins, Peep tie in, bare shaft tuning, walk back tuning, different arrow spines, arrow weights, FOC, fletching configurations etc...… Then your expectation is probably beyond what ANY pro shop is intended to be capable of. In that case you should be learning to do your own and will very likely have a good end result. However, that doesn't take away from the fact the pro shop is completely competent and capable of fitting and tuning bows.

I am an avid bowhunter and the vast majority of animals have been taken with bows and arrows I did not tune myself. I have even killed a bunch with bows that had excessive cam lean and at one time or another less than perfect paper tears :yike: Since doing all my own tuning nothing would have changed anything in the field. The single most important piece of shooting equipment isn't bought in a shop, it walks into it.

I do like my shops to have a good selection of product to choose from :tup:

Online dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 03:09:28 PM »

I can appreciate the sentiment. Although I find a lot wrong with the statements.

I do agree EXPECTATION is the biggest factor in determining what will make YOU happy. If your expectation is to set your bow up exactly the way you saw it done on youtube ( whichever one of the many different ways you saw it) and you have the time and inclination to tinker with different timing settings, grip positions, D-loop tie ins, Peep tie in, bare shaft tuning, walk back tuning, different arrow spines, arrow weights, FOC, fletching configurations etc...… Then your expectation is probably beyond what ANY pro shop is intended to be capable of. In that case you should be learning to do your own and will very likely have a good end result. However, that doesn't take away from the fact the pro shop is completely competent and capable of fitting and tuning bows.

I am an avid bowhunter and the vast majority of animals have been taken with bows and arrows I did not tune myself. I have even killed a bunch with bows that had excessive cam lean and at one time or another less than perfect paper tears :yike: Since doing all my own tuning nothing would have changed anything in the field. The single most important piece of shooting equipment isn't bought in a shop, it walks into it.

I do like my shops to have a good selection of product to choose from :tup:

Most are CAPABLE of tuning a bow but they don’t typically don’t bother for the customer. I have experienced enough wrong information in shops to know they aren’t all very well qualified.  If someone is just happy with a clean paper tear with a fletched arrow and don’t mind the inflated costs that come from a shop then there’s no issue. If you want to up your archery game and have perfect arrow flight and the correct arrows for your set up. Then your best bet is to invest in the tools and learn to do it yourself.

Online mountainman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2020, 09:12:33 PM »
All good input here everyone! Hard to find a decent bow shop around Wenatchee... Where have other people had luck?
Not any decent shops in Wenatchee anymore. Closest would be Curt up in Omak
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]