collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring Bear Closed  (Read 24782 times)

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Re: Spring Bear Closed
« Reply #165 on: April 05, 2020, 08:40:24 PM »
Here is one I have been looking at for two years.  Finally have the tag and will likely not be able to hunt him.... :bash: :bash: :bash:  He is always around in the spring, but I cannot find him in the fall.  We have named him Fred.  The first pic is this year and other is from last spring.    I will likely have to try this fall.  Bummed to say the least.
He looks like a good one :tup:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #166 on: April 05, 2020, 08:49:43 PM »
Not sure if this has been said, but if the governor mandates action that closes non essential businesses etc. the WDFW doesn't have a choice here.  Sounds like some are over estimating their reach.  They didnt ask for this situation.  They want us to be hunting and fishing. 

My young sons both have Kelly Hill tags, we are hopeful but it's not a WDFW decision. I'm also a pro fly fishing guide, so have a lot to gain with fishing opening back up, BUT again these mandates are coming from DC, to Olympia, and unfortunately all the way to eastern Washington where I live.  All we can do is hope for a change in the C19 situation. I agree with all comments and frustrations here, liquor stores have never seen more traffic yet I can't fish. Ridiculous yes. WDFW's decision? Definitely no.
Lots of other states have mandated stay at home orders, and mandated that non essential businesses are closed but no other state has closed fishing seasons completely, nor closed hunting to their own residents. WDFW could have kept any of those seasons opened if they chose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Spring Bear Closed
« Reply #167 on: April 05, 2020, 08:57:54 PM »
Yes there are other states that have shut down hunting and fishing.  I think I posted a link with a list in this thread earlier today.
I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. Just saying other places are shut down.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #168 on: April 05, 2020, 09:14:26 PM »
The Keefer bro’s just shared this on Facebook.  I assume it’s reasonably accurate but not 100% as it says Washington cancelled spring bear hunts. They haven’t yet but who knows what the future holds.

https://www.huntressview.com/post/hunting-and-fishing-changes-due-to-covid-19

Here ya go. Click the link.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2020, 09:27:11 PM »
The Keefer bro’s just shared this on Facebook.  I assume it’s reasonably accurate but not 100% as it says Washington cancelled spring bear hunts. They haven’t yet but who knows what the future holds.

Just did, no other state listed there has completely closed recreational fishing, there are smaller closures to certain fisheries or waters. Also no other state has closed turkey or bear seasons to residents. Lots of area closures and nonresident closures but no wholesale closures as Washington has done.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2020, 09:40:43 PM »

Just did, no other state listed there has completely closed recreational fishing, there are smaller closures to certain fisheries or waters. Also no other state has closed turkey or bear seasons to residents. Lots of area closures and nonresident closures but no wholesale closures as Washington has done.

What are the chances we could get hunting on private land to be allowed???  Lots of private land and lots of bears that need to be shot on private land.  Real simple in my eyes....tell spring hunters they need to pack everything they need for their hunt and stay our of local stores.  I went to our cabin this week and never stopped to and from.  Took everything I needed and stayed.  Pretty sure I am not in danger of getting or spreading any crud under those circumstances.   :dunno:

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2020, 03:47:29 AM »

Cause Washington wants us all,broke,and homeless.Poaching will be rampant this fall,some guys won't buy a licence,when there losing there house,car,and can't afford to eat due to virus.

Offline Gunsmoke

• Hunter
« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2020, 06:59:35 AM »

What are the chances we could get hunting on private land to be allowed???  Lots of private land and lots of bears that need to be shot on private land.  Real simple in my eyes....tell spring hunters they need to pack everything they need for their hunt and stay our of local stores.  I went to our cabin this week and never stopped to and from.  Took everything I needed and stayed.  Pretty sure I am not in danger of getting or spreading any crud under those circumstances.   :dunno:
. Not everyone has access to private land
Liberals are very compassionate with other people's money!

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2020, 06:07:32 PM »
WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98501
http://wdfw.wa.gov/
April 6, 2020
Media information: publicaffairs@dfw.wa.gov
Fishing information: fishpgm@dfw.wa.gov
Hunting information: wildthing@dfw.wa.gov
Fishing, shellfish harvesting, and some hunting postponed
WDFW acts to protect Washington communities from the spread of COVID-19
OLYMPIA - The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) today announced that recreational fishing, shellfish harvesting and spring turkey and bear hunting seasons will be delayed in an effort to control the spread of COVID-19.
The decision follows a Friday announcement that all state land and boat ramp closures would extend to May 4, 2020 to coincide with Gov. Jay Inslee's extension of the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order.
WDFW expects most recreation activities to remain closed through the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order. The department will reevaluate specific hunting, fishing, shellfish harvesting, public land, and boat ramp closures as new information becomes available from public health officials.
"Local public health authorities have relayed to us their concerns regarding the risk that hunting, fishing and recreational travel poses to their communities right now," said WDFW Director Kelly Susewind. "With the support of the Governor's office we're asking people to put their recreation plans on pause while we work together to get this situation under control."
Director Susewind noted that some individuals may be able to enjoy these activities without risky interactions, but many cannot. He asks everyone to be patient for the health of all Washingtonians.
These newly extended closures include all recreational fishing and shellfish harvesting, whether on public or private lands, and the spring bear hunts that would have started on April 1 as well as the April 4 and 5 youth turkey hunt. In addition, the department will postpone the spring bear and turkey season opening days, which were previously scheduled to open on April 15. The department made the closure decisions after consulting with local health departments.
While some recreational fishing opportunities exist year-round, the lowland lakes trout season opener, previously scheduled for April 25, is one of the most celebrated angling days of the year. The recreational halibut seasons scheduled to open on April 16 in Marine Areas 6-10 and Areas 1-5 on April 30 will be delayed. Recreational harvesting of spot shrimp in Marine Areas 5-7 and 12 will also be delayed. When fishing seasons do open, anglers should be prepared to practice proper social distancing and avoid the gatherings that characteristically define opening day for so many.
A number of April razor clam digs are cancelled, though the department will assess the ability for razor clamming and other shellfish seasons to resume in May. According to Larry Phillips, WDFW Coastal Region Director, "We had an excellent season planned, with a great number of days available for razor clam digging. If we are not able to reopen, clam diggers can still look forward to larger clams next year."
If the department is able to open spring bear and turkey seasons on May 4, spring bear hunters would still have until May 31 or June 15, depending on the location, to use their permits before the intended season closure dates for those hunts. Likewise, spring turkey hunters would have 28 days of hunting during the spring season, plus, most likely, a robust fall season.
Hunting application deadlines for the rest of the year have not changed, yet the deadline for sealing bobcat and river otter pelts that were harvested during the 2019-2020 season has been extended to July 20.
Refunds for licenses and permits, if initiated before opening day, are available. Hunters can also get their points reinstated for spring bear season if requested prior to the start of the season.
The department does not regulate shed antler hunting, yet wants to remind the public that this activity is not allowed on state lands while the closures are in place.
For the latest updates on WDFW's coronavirus response updates, visit wdfw.wa.gov/about/covid-19-updates.
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is the state agency tasked with preserving, protecting, and perpetuating fish, wildlife, and ecosystems, while providing sustainable fishing, hunting, and other recreation opportunities.
Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email (dolores.noyes@dfw.wa.gov). For more information, see http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/reasonable_request.html.

Offline Firetwin3

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #174 on: April 06, 2020, 06:21:14 PM »
"Hunters can also get their points reinstated for spring bear season if requested prior to the start of the season."
Does that mean that all of us with an April 1st opener, despite April 6th announcement, just got screwed out of all of our points?
Go Cougs

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2020, 06:24:26 PM »
"Hunters can also get their points reinstated for spring bear season if requested prior to the start of the season."
Does that mean that all of us with an April 1st opener, despite April 6th announcement, just got screwed out of all of our points?
The season hasnt started yet so no.
You would just need to request points back before the mew opening day if they open it.

Offline jason4429

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2020, 07:40:52 PM »
What about our application fee and bear tag? Will I get reimbursement for that?

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2020, 08:12:48 PM »
If you get your points back they will add a point for this year also.
They were doing a refund if all you bought was the bear tag (no combos) and werent planning to hunt the falls season. Read the emails that are posted up.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #178 on: April 06, 2020, 08:15:35 PM »
I'm going to be requesting my points back tomorrow. I'm done with it.My kids school just anouced that kids are not going back to school this year .Right now I'm at a loss of what to do.

Online emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #179 on: April 06, 2020, 08:18:07 PM »
Should all of us that didn't draw get reimbursed for our application fee and tags also?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan