collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wolf Rifle...  (Read 2341 times)

Offline BKMFR

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: WSF-Life member, F4WM, ITA, RMEF, MDF, ABF-Life member
Wolf Rifle...
« on: March 30, 2020, 04:20:57 PM »
Wanting to build a rifle with it's main purpose being used for wolf. I have shot a couple of wolves in my life, .243 is more than enough in my opinion. Wolves are not hard to kill if you hit them right, Coyotes aren't either if hit right, if not, they both can go further than one would imagine. Anyways, I am a bolt action man, but loved shooting coyotes with semi auto staying on target and just pulling the trigger has it's benefits.... But here's my problem, I have 3 AR's a Les Baer,and Rock Rivers and don't care for the feel of them, have owned a few Mini-14's but question if I wan't to sink a bunch of money into getting one accurate enough for what I want. Been looking at a Browning Hells Canyon BAR III in .243, haven't handled one yet, but earlier BAR's have all weighed more than I want and had poor triggers.... so any ideas on a accurate semi-auto in .243 or similar caliber? Even thought of picking up a Remington 740/7400 in 243/6mm and sinking the dollars into it, rebarrel if needed, if there was hope of getting one accurate, and whatever it is-has to have a good trigger....
Thoughts?

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: Wolf Rifle...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 04:26:46 PM »
Tough one, if you dont like the ar platform.  Maybe just stick with a bolt?

Or a lever gun maybe, like a blr?  Kinda a compromise between bolt and semi as far as getting a second shot off, at least imo.  I know folks will argue you can get a second shot off with a bolt about as quick as a lever, and maybe some can, but i think most of us can work a lever quicker than a bolt.

Lots of options to consider.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 04:47:24 PM »
Well, you've shot more wolves than me (my total is 0), so what do I know...

Having said that, what percentage of wolves are killed on the 1st shot?

I bet it's pretty high.

I'd be tempted to build an accurate speedster that I could reach out with....   Like a 257 Weatherby or 25-06, in a bolt gun.

But again, I have 0 real world wolf hunting experience.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 05:05:04 PM »
The FN AR is a pretty comfortable hunting semi-auto.  I thought the trigger was good and weight/balance fine.  I've only seen it in .308, but imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to smith down to .243 (same parent cartridge).

Well, you've shot more wolves than me (my total is 0), so what do I know...

Having said that, what percentage of wolves are killed on the 1st shot?

I bet it's pretty high.

I'd be tempted to build an accurate speedster that I could reach out with....   Like a 257 Weatherby or 25-06, in a bolt gun.

But again, I have 0 real world wolf hunting experience.
I think if a wolf runs off wounded, the other wolves will kill and eat it; so, pretty high is probably a good guess.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 05:05:25 PM »
I’d stick with a bolt my self.  Fast twist 243 can be a deadly combo with the right bullets. No a big fan of semi auto myself
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Sakko300wsm

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 05:06:14 PM »
50 BMG will get it done 🍺🍺
VELOCITY MARINE- ALUMINUM BOATS
I hunt fur and fins!!
23' X 9' custom jet in the works
Haxby 550hp 496"
Hammi 241
Stick steer

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 05:10:01 PM »
Im sticking with my bolt action .243 for my primary predator gun, lions and wolves.  Ive decided to take my 2-7x33 off, and replace it with a 1-8x24 strike eagle, just waiting on the ups dude to bring it.

The gun is super lightweight, and accurate as hell.  And after looking through a strike eagle at 1x, i realized it offers quick, 2 eye open target acquisition like a red dot reflex sight, with the option of cranking up to 8x.  Seems like the ideal thing for a wolf / lion gun to me.  At 1x, it should also be great for quick follow up shots on runners, maybe get s double on wolves or yotes.

Choice of optics could be just as big of a factor in getting a second shot as bolt vs semi.  Hell, could be a big factor on getting the first shot off, depending on how thick of stuff youre hunting in.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 05:24:01 PM »
Forget about Rem 740/7400 as they were designed as casual hunt rifles around corelokt ammo........depends how much you want to spend and how far you want to shoot, but either way, Savage lightweight Storm or Savage 110 Ultrlight.  Scope accordingly.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 05:36:03 PM »
I know you said you weren't overly fond of the AR platform but since you already have some, what about getting a 6.5 Grendel upper for one of your AR15's?

You could get an AR10 in 6mm Creedmoor, but AR10's are a little heavier.

I'd think an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel would make for a predator slaying machine, otherwise, I'd just stick with your bolt gun.

Offline Cougartail

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 06:03:43 PM »
Im sticking with my bolt action .243 for my primary predator gun, lions and wolves.  Ive decided to take my 2-7x33 off, and replace it with a 1-8x24 strike eagle, just waiting on the ups dude to bring it.

The gun is super lightweight, and accurate as hell.  And after looking through a strike eagle at 1x, i realized it offers quick, 2 eye open target acquisition like a red dot reflex sight, with the option of cranking up to 8x.  Seems like the ideal thing for a wolf / lion gun to me.  At 1x, it should also be great for quick follow up shots on runners, maybe get s double on wolves or yotes.

Choice of optics could be just as big of a factor in getting a second shot as bolt vs semi.  Hell, could be a big factor on getting the first shot off, depending on how thick of stuff youre hunting in.

My ARs and dangerous game rifles all have 1x something scopes on them. Keeping both eyes open on close and moving targets is key for quick acquisitions and shots.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 07:08:17 PM »
7mm mag.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 07:20:57 PM »
Forget about Rem 740/7400 as they were designed as casual hunt rifles around corelokt ammo........depends how much you want to spend and how far you want to shoot, but either way, Savage lightweight Storm or Savage 110 Ultrlight.  Scope accordingly.

Agreed. Currently waiting on a 110 Ultralite in 6.5 PRC that I ordered.  Should be able to reach out and touch one with that...if I ever get the chance.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 07:22:08 PM »

Agreed. Currently waiting on a 110 Ultralite in 6.5 PRC that I ordered.  Should be able to reach out and touch one with that...if I ever get the chance.

Dont those have like a 2 round mag?

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 08:22:22 PM »

Dont those have like a 2 round mag?

Yes.

I thought that was crazy.

30-06 = 4 round magazine
6.5 PRC = 2 round magazine
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Yondering

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 10:29:05 PM »
Wanting to build a rifle with it's main purpose being used for wolf. I have shot a couple of wolves in my life, .243 is more than enough in my opinion. Wolves are not hard to kill if you hit them right, Coyotes aren't either if hit right, if not, they both can go further than one would imagine. Anyways, I am a bolt action man, but loved shooting coyotes with semi auto staying on target and just pulling the trigger has it's benefits.... But here's my problem, I have 3 AR's a Les Baer,and Rock Rivers and don't care for the feel of them, have owned a few Mini-14's but question if I wan't to sink a bunch of money into getting one accurate enough for what I want. Been looking at a Browning Hells Canyon BAR III in .243, haven't handled one yet, but earlier BAR's have all weighed more than I want and had poor triggers.... so any ideas on a accurate semi-auto in .243 or similar caliber? Even thought of picking up a Remington 740/7400 in 243/6mm and sinking the dollars into it, rebarrel if needed, if there was hope of getting one accurate, and whatever it is-has to have a good trigger....
Thoughts?

I suspect the AR thing may be mostly a matter of getting one set up right so that it feels right for you. There are lots of clunky and awkward AR15/10 setups, but setting one up right so that it's a pleasure to carry and shoot makes a huge difference. Slim, light, and compact is my preference for this type of application, and is easy to do with an AR. No quad rails, no finger groove A2 grips, no rattly stocks or upper/lower receiver fit, etc; all of those are things that contribute to making an AR "not feel right".

One reason I mention that is weight - I've never shot a wolf, but am guessing it mostly happens when you're carrying a rifle out and about. If you're careful and know what you're doing, the AR platform lends itself to very light weight setups, much easier than building most other rifles light weight. Under 6 lb is common place, 5 lb ready to shoot is relatively easy with off the shelf parts, and under 4 lb can be done with some additional effort.

They also have a lot of options these days for good triggers.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]